Petition - Make Solemn Recruit an Ally

Options
GrizzoMtGPQ
GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
We need a decent new ally. How about it? Anyone interested in making a new Gideon deck? Upvote if you want Hibernum to make this change.

Comments

• Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes please! I haven't used my G2 in ages icon_e_sad.gif
  • khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Looking at her face, she doesnt look too friendly icon_razz.gif
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I still use my Gideon 2 ally deck pretty often. Would love to see some new cards though, maybe change it up a little.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The ally creature type has VERY specific lore implications which is why we only saw it on Zendikar. It's a creature type that, currently, will only been seen on that plane and unlikey we'll see it ever again. The allies of Zendikar were groups of people who set aside their differences to fight the eldrazi. Considering there's no interplanar threat to Kaladesh on the scale of the eldrazi, and that there are no other tribes or people that the Solemn Recuit is allying with in order to save Kaladesh from that threat, it would be entirely inappropriate to classify her as an ally.

Sadly, your Gideon 2 deck is going to be just like your Arlinn deck, your Chandra 2 deck, etc, where it's designed to work with and compliment a set mechanic, and will be unlikely to be seen ever again. That's not to say we won't ever see allies again, but consider it incredibly unlikely. We've only ever seen that creature type on Zendikar, and now that the eldrazi have been defeated, there is less a reason for these people to be allied in their fight against them. So even if there's a third Zendikar block set, there wouldn't be much of a reason for the creature type to repeat even then.
  • MTG_Mage
    MTG_Mage Posts: 224 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Heres a few ideas to get more set/block specific cards from older sets:

Now that MTGPQ is caught up to the paper releases they will have more time to do things like go back and release all the cards from the second set of the last 3 blocks (which would get us a bunch more allys, eldrazi, werewolves, vampires...)

They could also make a reprint set from the original Zendikar and Innistrad blocks since they would align nicely with the current cards.

I posted a suggestion on making a heroic encounter for all planeswalkers with prizing specific to them.
    When you complete all of these planewsalkers heroic encounters at 100% and have that PW leveled to 60 you unlock that PWs SPECIAL which alters their deck limits.
    Once unlocked, the following PWs get these limits removed:
    Sorin - any vampire allowed in deck construction (only gains a few straight red vampires)
    Liliana2 - any zombie allowed in deck construction (nearly doubles the zombies available to her)
    Tezzeret - any color support allowed in deck construction (still only blue creatures and spells) Tezz needs a buff to his first ability, I suggest it additionally gives up to 4 mana to each support in hand.
    Gideon Ally - any Ally creature allowed in deck construction
    viewtopic.php?f=36&t=58942
  • MrMoustache
    MrMoustache Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    wereotter wrote:
    The allies of Zendikar were groups of people who set aside their differences to fight the eldrazi.
    Actually, they allied with each other to go on quests and treasure hunts and that sort of thing. Remember, there were no Eldrazi in Zendikar and Worldwake, and Allies disappeared in Rise of the Eldrazi. Yes, they were repurposed somewhat for BFZ and OGW, but I would be surprised not to see them return in Return to Return to Zendikar, back to going on adventures together.

That being said, Solemn Recruit does not feel like an Ally in any way.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter wrote:
    The allies of Zendikar were groups of people who set aside their differences to fight the eldrazi.
    Actually, they allied with each other to go on quests and treasure hunts and that sort of thing. Remember, there were no Eldrazi in Zendikar and Worldwake, and Allies disappeared in Rise of the Eldrazi. Yes, they were repurposed somewhat for BFZ and OGW, but I would be surprised not to see them return in Return to Return to Zendikar, back to going on adventures together.

That being said, Solemn Recruit does not feel like an Ally in any way.

Oh you're right! But yes they ended up a pretty frontline force fighting the Eldrazi. That's the part I remembered most but makes sense considering they were a creature type before the Eldrazi emerged in force.
  • Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 544 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah I know the lore and I understand that MtGPQ is limited to only what WotC will allow them to do and I agree that Solemn Recruit doesn't seem to fit as an ally. I would just like to see more ally cards released. I would also like to see more cards from SoI released as well. I don't believe it'll happen as the game has already moved away from both Zendikar and Innistrad. For now.
    I do foresee a return to at least Innistrad in the near future. While the Eldrazi threat there was neutralized the plane was left in complete disarray. And I don't believe Sorin Markov's story is done. I personally hope it isn't. I'm eager to see a Sorin 2 PW come into the game, fueled by rage and remorse.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Shameless plug of a previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59287

I made a thread asking the devs to keep older mechanics alive by adding a sprinkling in upcoming sets.

Sollemn recruit is a great example
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    MTG_Mage wrote:
    Heres a few ideas to get more set/block specific cards from older sets:

Now that MTGPQ is caught up to the paper releases they will have more time to do things like go back and release all the cards from the second set of the last 3 blocks (which would get us a bunch more allys, eldrazi, werewolves, vampires...)

They could also make a reprint set from the original Zendikar and Innistrad blocks since they would align nicely with the current cards.

I posted a suggestion on making a heroic encounter for all planeswalkers with prizing specific to them.
    When you complete all of these planewsalkers heroic encounters at 100% and have that PW leveled to 60 you unlock that PWs SPECIAL which alters their deck limits.
    Once unlocked, the following PWs get these limits removed:
    Sorin - any vampire allowed in deck construction (only gains a few straight red vampires)
    Liliana2 - any zombie allowed in deck construction (nearly doubles the zombies available to her)
    Tezzeret - any color support allowed in deck construction (still only blue creatures and spells) Tezz needs a buff to his first ability, I suggest it additionally gives up to 4 mana to each support in hand.
    Gideon Ally - any Ally creature allowed in deck construction
    viewtopic.php?f=36&t=58942

I like this idea. It gives us a reason to hit 100%. I left the rune objective uncleared mostly. Why else should I need to achieve 100% for all of them?