Ways to Make PVE More Fun...

Options
2»

Comments

• Magog
    Magog Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    By comparison, 5 vehicles is busy work. I donno. I could obviously be wrong. But a lot of people I talk to/read have just decided to not even bother because it's so tedious.

I'm one of them. Also, the first two rounds I played (when I was actually trying to put out 5 vehicles) I got steamrollered by Koth or Nahiri decks that weren't even going for the objective. Vehicles might be interesting but they just can't compete against Olivia, Ulrich, Emrakul, Piggie (all of which I've drawn from various packs) and so on. So you're also gambling that you'll go up against a relatively weak deck.
  • Solmyr
    Solmyr Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    To some extent I agree, more than 2 vehicles actually force you to use vehicles, and not just vehicles+pig or vehicles+Olivia.
    That does have merit, and I at least found it fun. Then the event turns out to be enraged. Despite most vehicles being terrible, that means you have to be very careful not to cast your vehicles too fast or you will win before you have any chance to draw then. So you try and control the game, which is fine. Personally I got paired against Qb Koth 6 times, and one times Ajani with Olivia, pig, deploy and Ulrich. With enraged on, that gets just a bit stupid. Challenging, yes, but feels inherently unfair.
    In truth, the problem may just as well be the power level of a slew of particularly SOI/EMN mythics. If it was vehicles mirror each time I suspect the games would be a lot easier, and then we're back at ties. Meh. Smaller brackets anyone?
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I will say this positive thing about the 5 vehicle objective--it was really fun to set up 4 of them in my hand such that casting the 1st one crewed the 2nd one to cast, which crewed the 3rd one to cast, which crewed the 4th one to cast. This was something I would never have attempted to do if the objective was only 2 vehicles.

It felt very much like the "Assembly Line" of the objective name.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    But a lot of people I talk to/read have just decided to not even bother because it's so tedious.

Exactly why you'll find no vehicles in my deck this event. Just went for the wins, collected my crystals and forgot about the rest.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Just my 2 cents.

I think one of the higher priority thing should be releasing is the multi deck per planewalker feature.
    I know it's now in progress and should hopefully be out in probably a few months' time.
    The secondary objectives do have some design flaws but they're bearable if we're allowed multidecks per PW.
    Right now, it's so troublesome to break apart a deck and to build it up again. I got all the planewalkers except for Ajani and Saheeli. And I still find myself having issues to find a match for one planewalker to one event. Yes, I can break apart my deck and build it up again but in my opinion, that's seriously very annoying to do. I can keep repeating this over and over. I find it really hard to participate and enjoy the events if the multi-deck feature is not made available.

Until then, all these secondary objectives mean nothing much to me. Almost all the people whom I know in real-life that started this game together have already gradually lost interest. For working people, we cannot stand the thought of tearing apart our decks, building it up again, tearing it apart again, rinse and repeat. And out of those players, many did spend to support the game too. So it's really a little bit unfortunate.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wink wrote:
    I will say this positive thing about the 5 vehicle objective--it was really fun to set up 4 of them in my hand such that casting the 1st one crewed the 2nd one to cast, which crewed the 3rd one to cast, which crewed the 4th one to cast. This was something I would never have attempted to do if the objective was only 2 vehicles.

I did this too and enjoyed it
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    wink wrote:

I did this too and enjoyed it
    Yeah, you can start off vehicle #4 with no mana and still get it to cast!
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wink wrote:

How did it feel to get it wiped out by one good Decimator/Tyrant/Hellkite koth cascade?
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    wink wrote:

How did it feel to get it wiped out by one good Decimator/Tyrant/Hellkite koth cascade?

Same as always, I assume.
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alve wrote:
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    wink wrote:

Same as always, I assume.

At least when I'm not playing vehicles, I have a chance to get my own combo out first.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    I understand that in Platinum games go fast, but that's because you feel like you have to go fast (outside of Quick Battle, you don't have that much of an incentive to go that fast) and not because you're required to go fast.

That's not quite true is it? Not the way tie breaks are broken. At least one game per node, we're required to go as fast as we can.

That said, I do appreciate the subtle changes you've made to make this less of an issue.

I also don't agree with the sentiment that we don't have to "play fast" outside of QB. Especially now that I'm in platinum, I have no idea what type of bomb my opponent is going to drop. All it takes is a single card (Gaea, Deploy, Ulrich, Livvy, Crush, Startled, Hixus) dropped at a moment when all my answers are stuffed at the bottom of my deck (or conveniently used up the prior turn) and the match is over.