PSA: @Mentions Is Not A Forum Feature

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hey Everyone,

Lately I've seen more and more people trying to use this feature, for instance @Brigby, but I just wanted to take the time to send out a Public Service Announcement regarding this.

Unfortunately the @Mentions feature is not something we currently have available on our forum. It is definitely something we are looking to incorporate in the future, but as of right now, using the @ symbol to try and tag or notify a user will not work as we do not have that capability yet.

Thank you for understanding!
Brigby

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting. I'm on the forums alot and I do not recall ever seeing anyone using "@". Is this occuring more on the MTG side?
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, some people will post @Brigby in a thread. Not terribly often, but it does happen on the MPQ side.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Harsh message to get on Valentine's Day.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well - to be frank maybe they were not trying to use this as a tag that pings a notification. When i use (here or elsewhere) is just to point out in my message that the next point is directed @person X.
  • THEMAGICkMAN
    THEMAGICkMAN Posts: 697 Critical Contributor
    Interesting. I'm on the forums alot and I do not recall ever seeing anyone using "@". Is this occuring more on the MTG side?

Yeah, its happened a bit over at MTG:PQ forums, I am an offender of it, I figured I might as well throw the "@" in there just in case it does something, can't hurt right? but its nice to know for sure now.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I'm guilty of doing exactly this, to Brigby in fact, just yesterday. In my defence (ha!) it wasn't in expectation that it would trigger any kind of notification but to differentiate between different types of message within the same post.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017

That was my first reaction followed shortly by, what @ feature? Clearly this message wasn't for me. icon_lol.gif
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never seen this occur on the mpq forum. Usually when I see a username, it's without the @, or else they just say OP.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2017
    Brigby Thanks for clarifying! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    @Thanks a lot for the clarification
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    @MPQ #blessed
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    HaywireII wrote:
    Now highlighting my name in red. That actually does catch my attention when people do that. icon_razz.gif
    Hendross wrote:
    @MPQ #blessed
    ....dangit
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:
    Now highlighting my name in red. That actually does catch my attention when people do that. icon_razz.gif
    Hendross wrote:
    @MPQ #blessed
    ....dangit

@nowlookwhatyouvedone
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Brigby wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:
    Hendross wrote:
    @MPQ #blessed
    ....dangit

@nowlookwhatyouvedone

@OHNOHEDIDNT
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Brigby wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

I'm only surprised that I was the first one. There are much smarter and snarkier people than me on these forums.