I learned something today

tgibbs40
tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I always thought that 4* covers given out by 3* champion rewards were in the the color order they appear on the 4* characters cover. Then I get my 3* Doom to level 182, see the next reward is 4* IW green, and realize her covers will be given in "reverse" order. So my 4/3/5 IW will likely not be able to use that reward when I get it and it will be ISO instead.

So what is the order of champion reward covers actually based on? Is it even the same for everyone or is it random like vaults? Just wondering.

Comments

• Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not random, in that it is the same for everyone. It is not, however, in a predictable order. Basically you'd have to look them all up. Aesthetocyst has a nice spreadsheet around here somewhere. In the Tips and Guides forum I think
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same for everyone, so not 'random' random, but it does hop around. Fury's covers are distributed 2/1/3. Invisible Woman is 3/2/1. Peggy's go 1/2/3.

It's kinda capricious!

But not random. Quite.
  • Jaedenkaal
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37687

That's the thread I'm thinking of. The original post is somewhat out of date but there's an updated spreadsheet in a later post.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    I'd suggest selling any 3* covers that would give you a 4 you can't use, until you get that 4 to a place where you can use them. I did that for Gamora, Loki, and Squirrel Girl.

Once a 3* is champed, it's not a big loss to miss out on one or two covers. But those specific 4* covers are more rare.
  • huktonfonix
    huktonfonix Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    I'd suggest selling any 3* covers that would give you a 4 you can't use, until you get that 4 to a place where you can use them. I did that for Gamora, Loki, and Squirrel Girl.

Once a 3* is champed, it's not a big loss to miss out on one or two covers. But those specific 4* covers are more rare.

I think this is bad advice, honestly. 4* covers are not that hard to come by these days. When you're actually into the 4* transition, they're very common between the guaranteed covers in pvp and pve progression, champ rewards, and legendary tokens. You will absolutely, 100% acquire 4* covers faster than you acquire the ISO to keep up with them.

By holding your 3*s at 182, you're missing out on lots of ISO, HP, CP, and tokens from champion rewards. 3* covers also frequently come in bunches (like 3 personal and one alliance cover from PVE end, and 2 more from PVE progression in next event) so you'll likely be selling a LOT of covers.

If you're after one very specific cover for a particularly important character, maybe, but overall I think you're hurting your roster progress in the long run.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017

I think this is bad advice, honestly. 4* covers are not that hard to come by these days. When you're actually into the 4* transition, they're very common between the guaranteed covers in pvp and pve progression, champ rewards, and legendary tokens. You will absolutely, 100% acquire 4* covers faster than you acquire the ISO to keep up with them.

By holding your 3*s at 182, you're missing out on lots of ISO, HP, CP, and tokens from champion rewards. 3* covers also frequently come in bunches (like 3 personal and one alliance cover from PVE end, and 2 more from PVE progression in next event) so you'll likely be selling a LOT of covers.

If you're after one very specific cover for a particularly important character, maybe, but overall I think you're hurting your roster progress in the long run.

Waiting can be worthwhile whem there is a finite goal (e.g, your jg is 5/2/5 and your beast is 182. If jg blue will be the 900 cover in 3 weeks, then selling a beast cover to avoid wasting the resulting champ reward jg green makes some sense.).

But i don't think it makes sense to freeze 3*s at 182 forever if there is no short term plan to use the 4* reward. In the long run 4* covers do come faster than iso.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was going to make essentially the same point as vhailorx above. I think the "rule" so to speak is what huktonfonix says, but there are certainly specific exceptions to it, one of which would certainly be the example vhailorx made. The Doom/IW example I think would not fit the exception because you're not likely to want to champion IW right away, so it's not like saving for that one specific cover will help you too much.

In the end it's all about getting the maximum return for ALL your rewards. You certainly don't want to "waste" a 4* cover by turning it into 1000 iso, but if the alternative is throwing away several 3* covers in the meantime and delaying the point where you get the NEXT 4* cover from champion rewards, it just isn't worth it. The champion rewards in the last 1/3 of the 3* rewards are really sweet and you want to get to them as soon as you can, even if it means selling a 4* cover along the way.
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Thanks for the help everyone! As far as my plans go, I'll just go with whichever cover comes in first. I'll take those champ rewards and get around to champing IW when her time comes up (which is the most likely scenario).

Interesting that the order isn't the same for every 3* champion, but oh well.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    tgibbs40 wrote:
    I almost forgot this part of the question - I will say it made/makes sense that it ISN'T the same for every one since there were/are many 3* that gave/give covers for the same 4*. In that case people would not really expect that both characters gave the same sequence of covers would they? If you really needed that 3rd cover only you would probably be pretty upset about that. But even then sometimes they gave the same first cover and only the 2nd/3rd covers were different. It really followed no pattern whatsoever, so I guess "random" is as good an answer as any.
  • Jaedenkaal
    mohio wrote:
    tgibbs40 wrote:
    I almost forgot this part of the question - I will say it made/makes sense that it ISN'T the same for every one since there were/are many 3* that gave/give covers for the same 4*. In that case people would not really expect that both characters gave the same sequence of covers would they? If you really needed that 3rd cover only you would probably be pretty upset about that. But even then sometimes they gave the same first cover and only the 2nd/3rd covers were different. It really followed no pattern whatsoever, so I guess "random" is as good an answer as any.

Funny thing is, for more than one of those 4*s that get covers from two 3*s... the cover order is the same. So go figure.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Funny thing is, for more than one of those 4*s that get covers from two 3*s... the cover order is the same. So go figure.

This is absolutely infuriating, especially when you already have that particular cover at max. Such terrible design.