[!] Unclear objectives: Summon less/more, less than X life

Options
Alve
Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
edited May 2018 in MtGPQ Events
Right now only hard-casting creatures/supports (filling the cards with mana and casting them normally from your hand) counts towards objectives.

Creatures summoned with spells (like Deploy the Gatewatch, Dubious Challenge, Not Forgotten, Ruinous Path), supports (Call the Bloodline, Oath of Liliana, From Beyond, Thopter Spy Network etc.), other creatures (Architect of the Untamed, Blight Herder and such) and planeswalker skills (for example Garruk's skills, Sarkhan's second, Saheeli's first, transformed Arlinn's second) do not count towards 'summon less/more than X' objectives. Neither do creatures brought from the graveyard by any means (spells, skills, other creatures' effects, their own graveyard effect).

The same goes for supports.

This is most likely a side-effect of fixing an issue with certain spells cast by the AI causing players to fail 'summon less than' objectives (spells like Dubious Challenge, Turn to Frog, Imprisoned in the Moon, Turn Against).

Any sort of life gain (lifelink, life gain from spells, supports, creature or planeswalker abilities) can interfere with 'win the game with X or less life' objectives. Just to be on the safe side, avoid using life gain when trying to achieve those secondaries.

If there are other event objectives that you feel might be bugged or misleading, please share them in this thread.

Comments

• Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thank you Alve for making this more visible!

As for other bugged or misleading objectives I'll mention that two objectives (1.2 and 3.1*) in Revolt against the Consulate have the wrong text, and that people should look at the thread for it not trust the in-game text.

* unfortunately the 3.1 objective "win in 4 turns" is correct, it's the other one that's bugged.
  • Mathistopheles
    Mathistopheles Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have had this particular one happen on Nodes of Power's Blank Node:

Playing a creatureless Ob Nixilis deck, only relevant object is Ob's emblem on the board, with 2 Lost Legacy in hand (enough to kill opposing walker). Life is at 19.

End the game (beating opponent), and my life goes to 21, meaning I miss the objective.

Happened a few times.
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have had this particular one happen on Nodes of Power's Blank Node:

Playing a creatureless Ob Nixilis deck, only relevant object is Ob's emblem on the board, with 2 Lost Legacy in hand (enough to kill opposing walker). Life is at 19.

End the game (beating opponent), and my life goes to 21, meaning I miss the objective.

Happened a few times.

did you use any life gain cards in any of the battles?

in oath of the gatewatch 2, I defeated tyrant of the valakut
    with my gideon life gain deck with < 20hp. I should have
    only got 4 ribbons(no objectives achieved) instead I get the
    last objective: win with more than 90hp. it's known to be
    buggy if you include life gain.

HH
  • Soybomb
    Soybomb Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I've seen that happen on 2 occasions:

1) You gained life while at full life. It seems that this screws up the life tracking and the "extra life" gained while you were at full is added to your total at the end.

2) The battle took a long time and your PW regenerated life immediately upon finishing the battle.
  • Mathistopheles
    Mathistopheles Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I was using Underhanded Designs, so perhaps I did gain some life over the course of a game. That definitely could have been it.

Either way, I still ended the game with <20 HP, so it's still buggy. Good to know we can explain it, though!
  • E1Q1G6
    E1Q1G6 Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    I just had it happen to me with OB in RATC. Ended at 20 HP, got to win screen, said I had 23 life, lose 5 ribbons. If I have to win with 17 HP or 16 HP, it should state that clearly. I had no life gain, nothing, simply regenerated 3 HP overy the time of the battle....broken game is doing nothing to convince me to come back on a serious note.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Not sure why all of @Alve 's announcements necro'd but this one is still topical.

Side note, I miss Alve :sob:

(I know she hated being pinged all the time, but I couldn't resist.)

edit: Ah, I forgot this is the MtGPQ Events portion of the forums and not General. Sad wasteland indeed.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Partly we need a "wording" pass on cards and events so they are using the same terms.

The objectives should probably say "cast" instead of summon because the token generating cards say "summon" but don't count (and shouldn't in my opinion)

We have:
    cast
    summon
    enters the battlefield
    lose   (what does this actually cover? does it include exile? stealing? falling behind the couch?)
    kill

Word consistency matters.
  • RandomID
    RandomID Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I kind of agree that things which "put creatures onto the battlefield" e.g. Reason// shouldn't count towards stats, but things which put something in your hand and fill it with mana definitely should. 

It's a bit like the clear distinction in paper magic between casting a creature and putting it into play. 

It has bugged me with OG Tezz that I wish I could now rewind his lvl4 second ability, I prefer the control even if it takes up the extra slot in hand.