Should my first 4* Champion be Wolverine X-Force?

heybub
heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2017 in Roster and Level Help
Hi,

So, I am transitioning to 4* land, and I have a WXF and Sam Wilson max covered. I need a few more covers to max 4Thor (2/5/5), Nick Fury (3/3/5), and IMHB (5/4/2), and a few others coming up: Cyclops (2/2/5), Punisher Max (5/2/1), XPool (3/3/2), Kingpin (2/3/3), Prof X (3/3/1), X-23 (3/3/1), Ice man (0/0/5), and Nova (2/2/3).

I just pulled a Wolverine X-Force, and I am wondering if it is worth it to champion him. I have ~2mil Iso, which is enough to champion 7 guys. I figure I will champion IMHB when I can, but I'm not sure if Fury, Falcap, 4Thor or Wolverine are a good investment.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Wolverine is bottom tier. Sorry.
    Check the character polls: they have a really good sense of who is a good character. Almost anyone else you've mentioned is a better option.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2017
    No,

X-Force wolverine is not 1st champ worthy, and from personal experience neither is Falcap. You have some decent options so I would keep saving. In general, the later 4* releases are more valuable than the older 4*. You didn't mention if your primarily pvp or pve focused and that makes a difference with respect to prioritizing char.

edit: Once I looked at your list I would prioritize

1. cyclops or thoress. (both are red yed blue users and you should not duplicate colors until you have the basics covered)
    2. Nova
    3. PunMax

We can't be picky when were dealing with RNGesus, but in general you should look to build champs by making sure your alternating color coverage and power types. I.e. Don't champ multiple red-black attack powers chars back to back. Its much better to diversify your attack powers in multiple colors. Your first 5 champs must be focused to ensure that you can always include a nuke power and or AOE in every possible team combo. Your next 5 champs should focus on building out your support chars (having a SL for goon nodes is invaluable). Your next 5 champs should focus on special situation chars like ant-man or PX.

Medusa is a top tier 4*, but I probably would champ Rhulk/Ice first. Building a diversified team now will save you alot of headaches later.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    If he's already level 270 and you just need the 12,500 to champ him, then...yeah go for it.

but if you're going to be spending tens of thouseands of ISO to max him out and champ him, it's not worth it as your first. He's worth having eventually for the times when he's boosted, but not right now when much, much better 4*s are close to completion for you.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I'll be the contrarian here and say if you pull a spare cover for him and have ISO to spare then I'd say go ahead and champ him. The champ rewards are worth it in the long run. But he's definitely one of the worst characters in the 4-star tier right now and a far cry from his better days. He does have a half-decent synergy with X-Force Deadpool though.

Probably your best potential for a useful championed 4-star from your list is Thor, which you only need one more cover for, especially if you have a championed IM40. When boosted she will rip through almost any team with IM accelerating her.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    My current champed 4*s are Wolvie, Hulkbuster, Fury, IW, Prof X, Thor, Star-lord, and Devil Dinosaur (!). No regrets on any of them. I use all of them relatively frequently (save for Dino, but even he gets out of the pen sometimes). Thor and X are probably my most-used.

I'd go ahead and champ Wolvie. I'm not sure what day you're on, but you might get additional covers from the daily reward - and if he's champed, cha-ching. If you were in 4-5 transition, it would be a different story... but when you're in the transition to a 4 roster, I think it's a no-brainer.

From a tactical standpoint, Wolvie gives you some board clear, and his black is a nice nuke. And he can self-true-heal. He's not the greatest character in history, but he's certainly a useful one.

You ABSOLUTELY want to champ Thor. Thor + Iron Man = rampage. Do not underestimate the power those charged tiles give her. I can punch WAY above my proper level in PvP with Thor, IM, and a featured that's well-covered (preferably champed, and preferably complimentary). Hulkbuster is solid too.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Go for it. I use mine a lot more than I expected when I championed him.
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Interesting, on mpq.gamependium is 4* Wolverine is the most champed character. (Does not say anything about his quality...)

Edit: Correction, he is 3nd best.

Beside this, you get every 10-14 days enough iso to make a new 4* champion. I don't think you will run out of iso if you send some on Wolverine.
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for all the responses. To answer a few questions:

1) XFW is level currently 192
    2) I primarily play PVE, since PVP is too difficult. I can typically spike to 575 to get the CP, and end up top 50-100. This is on Level 5.
    3) I am on day 846.

On another note, I just got another IMHB, so I am (5/5/2 after the daily reward in 3 days, level 229). I thought IMHB was a top 10, but nobody in the posts suggested Championing him. Would he be a good 1st champion?

Thanks, again for all the support.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Teskal wrote:
    Interesting, on mpq.gamependium is 4* Wolverine is the most champed character. (Does not say anything about his quality...)

He's the second oldest 4* and was meta defining for a long period of time unlike fury. More people have him at 13 covers than any other 4*.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    heybub wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses. To answer a few questions:

1) XFW is level currently 192
    2) I primarily play PVE, since PVP is too difficult. I can typically spike to 575 to get the CP, and end up top 50-100. This is on Level 5.
    3) I am on day 846.

On another note, I just got another IMHB, so I am (5/5/2 after the daily reward in 3 days, level 229). I thought IMHB was a top 10, but nobody in the posts suggested Championing him. Would he be a good 1st champion?

Thanks, again for all the support.

IMHB is a very good first champion. With him and Ironfist, you can do great work in both PVE and PVP. He was my first way back in the day.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Its easy to spend someone else's iso, but I say go for it. XFW is strong enough to make a difference as your 1st champ, and he can heal himself. XFW was my first champ, and I still break out the xforce team sometimes. I champ everyone pretty much tho. Only once did I sell covers to save iso, but I ended up champing him later anyways. And you have 2 fully covered characters, the others could come in your next pull, or in months when they are progression rewards. By then you could have replenished the iso spent.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    XFW can be good in PVE, but only really shines with other board manipulators/destroyers. He is excellent (as in, near winfinite!) with Cmags and Loki, and with Witch Fist. He's very 3* friendly.
    This. This is XFW's perfect summary. He's a PVE game changer when combined with the right 3* friends, boosted or no. With Loki and Cmags, once that cascade machine gets rolling, you can recycle the entire board several times per turn. With Switch feeding Fist, and Fist feeding XFW, you'll cut anything to ribbons with his black.

XFW was my fist 4* champ and he elevated my pve prowess significantly. I don't regret it one bit.