Does anyone have a perfect score in this event?

Options
Mainloop25
Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Pics or it didn't happen icon_razz.gif

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    giphy.gif

Extra characters for posterity
  • Falizar
    Falizar Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    Perfect in missing the impossible to reach objectives lol
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=59143
    Believe it or not, we do test these objectives.

It's not unwinnable. Very difficult, yes. Maybe a bit too difficult, yes.

Unwinnable? No. I have done it myself.

It's important to note that not all objectives and encounters will be beatable by all players. A lot depends on your available cards, deck building, planeswalker, etc.
  • Falizar
    Falizar Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    Pics or it doesn't count lol
  • Gideon
    Gideon Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yea. He did it himself because he has a super user account with every card in the game unlocked and he still called it too difficult. I guess the point of this event is to make people stop playing their game. They are doing a good job at recognizing what is not fun and implementing that to its full capacity. Just wait till they run this horrible event next when the numbers entered into the event drop below 12,000. This event tells new players to go scratch, we don't need you and it tells current players that the dev team expects us to own all of the cards just like them. Give us all the cards and it will be fun but right now this event in its current state is a miserable slog fest.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    And because just being difficult is not enough, they also decided to mess up the objectives so you can only guess if they actually are what they or something else. Thanks for the extra challenge!
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I had fun playing against the AI opponents from this event (mainly node 3 really) to which I had an actual chance of losing even in a standard matches without AI mega cascades and bad draws.

My collection is solid but definitely not at the level of those in the top coalitions. I think people just got too used to being able to score perfect scores every time. Going from a PvE event you can "play in your sleep" to one that is actually challenging is probably a jolt to some.

That said for this event I'm not trying for a perfect score so I'm less stressed about dropping points than some of you people are. I'm usually trying for only one of the secondary objectives per match. Perhaps that's another significant factor.

Also yeah I do wonder how anyone can complete 3.1 with the Speed Objective. Maybe there is a secret button somewhere on the screen to deal 400 damage to the AI lol.
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    they do seem a bit ridiculous, i pick 2 and hope for the best. and the last boss is like the noxious gearhulk without the kill spells it seems.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Have never liked those objectives.
    Make it challenging enough so that we get all the points so long we win.
    I hate to deal with those limiting my spell or support use.
    I like to play the deck I like to play. If my deck is built around spells and I run into one that tells me I can only use 2 spells or less, I have to remake the whole deck?
    But I like to play that deck out of event. So I have to rebuild it after this event again?
    Why don't the developers actually try doing this over and over again? It's just a hassle, really.
    We really need the deck configuration save feature.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This morning I skillfully pulled off the <3 turns objective on the first node. This is how I did it:

1) I skillfully opened a Goldnight Castigator in one of my boosters
    2) I skillfully had it in my start hand
    3) I skillfully selected a red match with Koth

SKILLZ
  • hawkyh1
    hawkyh1 Posts: 780 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I was doing so well in my first battle icon_e_smile.gif

I feel the objectives is more to show off the new cards
    than a deck building challenge.

HH
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    you rmissing the second objective to push energize down everyones throat along with vehicles. Vehicles i can handle those seem ok if a bit lacking in diversity do like that casting one helps with the cost of the next, energy not ever going to be a fan
  • Schlemoc
    Schlemoc Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I am in agreement that this event makes everyone go back to the drawing board. It is evident everyone is struggling based on the bosses health. Given the level of difficulty one would expect at least a mythic reward for completion.

I have a pretty solid basis of cards having spent a small fortune. Sadly im discouraged at the number of repeat rares and mythics i find. Thats a whole different issue.

I feel if we were able to have multiple decks with planeswalker, and better ideas of the goals, this event could be something to work towards. Having to constantly swap cards is very frustrating. Plus guessing at the objectives is insane. Lastly, i can see where those who are free to play are complaining. If i didnt sink real life funds in to this, i wouldnt stand a chance. Id be more discouraged/challenged than i am.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    This morning I skillfully pulled off the <3 turns objective on the first node. This is how I did it:

1) I skillfully opened a Goldnight Castigator in one of my boosters
    2) I skillfully had it in my start hand
    3) I skillfully selected a red match with Koth

SKILLZ

You should try my strategy for completing both objectives.

1) Acquire Lightning Runner and Goldnight Castigator from booster packs using skillful opening techniques
    2) Expertly draw both on turn one.
    3) Carefully make a red match on turn one to drop Lightning Runner
    4) Make a seemingly random match on turn two for 2 more mana to drop Castigator
    5) Smugly make an unnecessary match on turn 3, and watch my two creatures win for full points.

Clearly, I'm better than you.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    Apart from some of the out-of-place objectives, I think this event has made some improvements. The enemies feel harder now and they have more HP.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Focus groups and beta testers are a thing that professional gaming companies actually use.

Just saying.
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I actually like that objective. Without GAH or any particular strike of luck (but with a deck full of mythics, I admit that) I went as low as 6 turns and if I do manage to hit it in 4, boy, it'll be sweet. While secondaries in pvp are pretty crucial, one secondary on the third node in pve is virtually irrelevant. Newer/more casual players have bigger worries than that secondary when playing those decks and older players with big collections need something to strive for. Is it super difficult? Yes. Is it quite random (more than the usual randomness of this game)? Yes. Does it break the game or suck the joy out of it? Uhm, wait, what?

If it was a bigger part of your overall score or prevented you from progressing further, I could understand extreme frustration. As it is, I'm actually looking forward to my third encounter with 3.1. Even if I don't hit the objective, I will keep looking forward to it, unlike the other ones, which are absolutely forgettable. Now that I've said it, I'll probably lose. Dammit.

As a matter of fact, in pve I wouldn't mind a few very difficult objectives that make you very happy when you manage to hit them, especially on more difficult nodes. Not all of them, of course, just one or two. Even if that means I *gasp!* score 98% instead of 100%.

Having said that, we still have a few secondaries that are outright bugged and that's not cool.
  • watman
    watman Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    Can anyone prove that the 3.1 node speed objective is even mathematically possible?
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Please, read JC's comment from another thread
    watman wrote:
    Can anyone prove that the 3.1 node speed objective is even mathematically possible?

It is. There are some broken combos. Personally I use Kiora loop, which can quite easily put over 100/200 points of damage on the board in one turn once it gets rolling. Of course it requires plenty of luck to get it rolling so soon, but it's possible. Then you have the Aether Heart/lotsaenergy/Marvel combo. Mythic heavy, luck-based, difficult to achieve? Yes. Fun to keep trying, if you can? Totally. It's just 5 ribbons. If I don't get them, I won't cry.

In another thread
    Irgy wrote:
    The problem with this is not that it isn't winnable. The problem is that it shouldn't be winnable.

If there's combos which are capable of achieving this objective, especially if reliably, then it's simply a very poor reflection on card balance. It's something to be ashamed of not something to rub in everyone's faces with this objective.
    That is actually true. Many cards/combos could use some rebalancing and this objective only exacerbates the problem.

Doesn't change the fact that not getting 10-15 ribbons total in an event should not make people quit the game. Seriously. (Referring to people who complain only about that particular secondary, not the poor folks who got eternally stuck on Tezz)
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,935 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alve, do you underestimate the ocd-level perfectionism that this game encourages? Just look at the amount of self-torture that was inflicted during the days of the old Emrakul's Corruption event...

This actually wasn't meant to become a bash-the-designers thread. I am genuinely curious if there is anyone who has been able to hit that objective consistently.