Extreme Health Pack Hoarding

VizMantis
VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
When I started playing this game some 3+ years ago, I got some health packs and, having come up saving potions in rpg video games, I never spent them. I'd spend one here and there, but it seemed wise to save them for when I "really needed them." It wasn't until a year or so later that I learned health packs regenerate...oops. By then it was too late, I'd amassed a hoard I didn't want to part with. I've been playing this game without the aid of packs ever since. I'd probably be better at this game if I used them, but oh well.

Anyhow, enough preamble. I'm wondering how bad I am in the scheme of things. I've got 715 health packs. How are my fellow pack hoarders faring?

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    my main almost never has more than 15-20 on hand, and even more than 10 is unusual.

my mobile casual account has 465 or so.
  • cubnad
    cubnad Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    I almost all ways have 10 or less. I mostly hoard my token_taco.png's so only when I open a bunch do I have more then 10 and it's not long before I'm back to 10 again.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,388 Chairperson of the Boards
    315 health packs.

I never use them one at a time; always in bursts of 20-30. Like when I'm trying to hit 900 in PVP.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    9. Always 9.
    If your last healthpack isn't regenerating you are missing free ones icon_e_smile.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches wrote:
    9. Always 9.
    If your last healthpack isn't regenerating you are missing free ones icon_e_smile.gif

Yeah, this is the way to play. I also try to follow this rule.

Even more, if I know I won't be playing for 4 hours (you know, because of work or something icon_razz.gif) I try to use 4-5 health packs before I stop playing icon_razz.gif

To the OP creator: I can't really understand how did you manage to play the game without spending healh packs. Do you just play casually? Or do you always spend HP to get extra health packs? How can you play for position in PvE or PvP without hps ???? I can't compute!!!!
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    I got through Taco binges and end up with 100+.. which i blow in a week.
    It's no fun trying to do 4*DDQ with undercovered / leveled characters.

Go through your packs!
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    So I have played this game for 3 years. There was a period in time though where I only played the daily for maybe 9 months to a year or so. In that time my pack hoard climbed steadily up to around 400 or so. When cp and legendary tokens became a thing I finally saw a new way to progress so I started playing regularly again and it took me till last week to finally burn through all the health packs (14 months or so).

I am now a proud member of the less than 10 health pack club.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Whenever I go through a hoard of taco tokens, that usually brings me up to around 80 packs. It's great for pvp, but it feels like a waste to use them for pve.

I kind of like it better when I'm back down to 10, because then I can actually you know.. use them.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm rarely above 10. I also rarely drop to the point where I need to buy them anymore. It's an OK middle ground.

During the last Civil War I opened a taco hoard of around 80 tokens and came away with 50+ health packs, a new record. They were gone by the end of the event. icon_lol.gif
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    How is this even possible? Do you not go above 500 in PVP and never do full PVE clears? I can't even fathom how anyone has more than 10 for any period of time.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I have 679.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    How is this even possible? Do you not go above 500 in PVP and never do full PVE clears? I can't even fathom how anyone has more than 10 for any period of time.
    PVE doesn't need health packs.

The three easy nodes are quickly handled by a one-cover (yellow) OML and champed 3strange, without taking any damage. Sometimes I'll just use Thanos and a couple throw-aways for an even faster clear of the easy nodes.

Strange, Patch, and IM40 are about the best at handling hard goon nodes without taking any damage, regardless of goon level (swap in Ock for strange if the goons are symbiotes). If it's Dark Avengers or some other mix of 'live' opponents I just mix and match 3* and 4* teams, reserving boosted characters for the harder 3rd and 4th clears.

Occasionally I'll use a health pack for a required character node, but not until that required character needs a revival.

As for PVP, I largely regard it as a waste of time and only dabble.

I've got 40-some health packs right now. I'm actually a little low. I usually hover around 60-70. Civil War ate into my stash.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am the same way. In RPGs I refuse to buy portions and I rely on Cure magic to heal my group. Maybe use an Inn to recover my health. Anyways, at one point I had over 200 until championing was implemented. Prior to championing I strategically leveled characters to be higher than others (e.g. keep SW low so she doesn't tank). I relied on Patch/Daken/Cage a lot to save healthpacks. When I champed all my 3*'s, my strategy was no longer available and I fell under 10 healthpacks. It's even worse now that I champed 4*'s that absorb a ton of damage that I need to constantly heal (e.g. 4hor). For me it is very difficult to play PVE/PVP while utilizing the 10 healthpacks because I play in 2-3hr blocks. I recently used my Taco hoard and gathered over 100 healthpacks again. This is likely what I will do, when I fall under 10, I'll use my taco hoard to gather more. It's been working for the past 2-months. Boss Fights and runs to 900 in PVP are what really kill my healthpacks.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Jarvind wrote:

As Dormammu says, clearing PVE isn't hard at all without health packs. Even if I was keeping my packs below 10, I can't really see a need for them in PVE. With a fair number of easy nodes, all goon nodes I don't take a hit on, healing characters, boosted characters, and a reasonable sized roster, it doesn't really come up. I always hit max progression (usually with full green checks) and I usually land top 50 (top 100 in new release circumstances). Health packs wouldn't really help my placement, its more a factor of available time to play than character health.

As for pvp, I don't play that very competitively. I usually go up to 575 to get the 10cp these days and stop. Rarely, if there's an enticing enough cover, I will go for 900 and use a few health packs. But in general, I've never cared much for the yo-yo'ing scores of pvp. I find the whole thing a bit stressful, and I don't need to play games for stress.
    TLCstormz wrote:
    I have 679.

Finally, I'm not alone! icon_razz.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I only consistently played DDQ for a long time, and health packs just naturally started accumulating until I had about a hundred. I actually really dislike having a hoard of them, since it makes it feel more costly to spend them when they don't regenerate, and it discourages my interest in playing when I lose a match as a result.

I've been trying to play more competitively recently, but I still hardly use health packs. 4 clears of a PvE sub might get me to use 1-3 or so, thanks to having quite a wide roster of usable characters, and getting to 575 in PvP doesn't really require any unless something goes very wrong (I just quit for the day if the required character dies, and come back the day after).
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    VizMantis wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

As Dormammu says, clearing PVE isn't hard at all without health packs. Even if I was keeping my packs below 10, I can't really see a need for them in PVE. With a fair number of easy nodes, all goon nodes I don't take a hit on, healing characters, boosted characters, and a reasonable sized roster, it doesn't really come up. I always hit max progression (usually with full green checks) and I usually land top 50 (top 100 in new release circumstances). Health packs wouldn't really help my placement, its more a factor of available time to play than character health.

I mean, I don't usually use more than 2 or 3 on a PVE clear, and the ten that regenerate are usually enough for a given session, but there are plenty of times that the AI just goes into Ultimate Cascade FU Mode and pounds the **** out of you and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm almost always using boosted 4* characters as well, though I don't generally use healers for the express purpose of saving health packs. I do sometimes blow through the easy nodes using semi-leveled OML, Phoenix and IM46 for that reason, but after that it's boosted 4s all the way.

Plus, I play both PVP and PVE - in PVP past a certain point you kinda have to keep the A team out, so I don't see any way around using packs there.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    444 Health Packs. I went through about a week before learning they recharged as well (back then they also capped out at 10 and would generate to only 5.) I honesty started using them because I earned my 11th one and it never showed up.

After getting well into the 3* transition and just not having as much fun trying to grind myself to death at all hours I decided to try not healing unless it was an essential character. It forces me to try a lot more characters who otherwise would just be gathering dust.

I'd argue that I probably have put more time in using the worst characters than most players put into their mid-tier ones.

It's been a while since I cracked 800 in PvP though, and I even when I commit to it for a badly needed 4* cover it seems that my refusal to spend HP on shields is the bigger handicap.

PvE on the othehand I can easily hit the final 15 CP progression reward if I put the time into the event. Even if I'm half trying and just go for the CP nodes, I'll usually be close enough to push for the 4* cover progression.

Roster Depth is the biggest thing though. Having 149 toons of various levels and builds makes it a more manageable task.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Started to hoard them long time ago. healthpack.pnghealthpack.pnghealthpack.png

The free one were not enough to let me play as long as I wanted.

Now maybe they would be enough... Or not, I don't want to test.
    I stopped hoarding and started to use them when I need. That's the purpose I guess. I have now a stable amount around 200.
  • I think this is a common behavior for anyone who grew up devouring rpg's in the 80s/90s. It has affected the way I play every game since. I'll often beat games and realize my inventory was full of very helpful things that I never could bring myself to use for fear of that ONE battle I knew was coming that never did. It's a sickness. So here I sit with over 200 health packs. Thanks Ultima and Dragon Warrior!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this is a common behavior for anyone who grew up devouring rpg's in the 80s/90s. It has affected the way I play every game since. I'll often beat games and realize my inventory was full of very helpful things that I never could bring myself to use for fear of that ONE battle I knew was coming that never did. It's a sickness. So here I sit with over 200 health packs. Thanks Ultima and Dragon Warrior!
    I have this sickness.

Its clinically associated with RPG Hoarder's Disease (RPGHD) which is a terrible affliction that causes you to pick up everything not nailed down with the intention that it will be either A) usable, or B) sold for profit. It is quite common among players of the Elder Scrolls, who like to dig through barrels for apples, cabbages, and salt.