Boosts and Scaling

Hadronic
Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
ok, so I am aware that no one knows exactly how scaling works, but it seems to me that boosted characters have absolutely zero affect on scaling. My roster is in an interesting spot right now where I have 11 champed 4* characters. This means the number of boosted 4* I have in an event changes on basically every event.

Having 0 or only 1 boosted character happens very frequently. 2 boosted happens every so often and for the first time I had 3 boosted characters in Unstable Iso.

All of my characters are soft capped around 275 (5* included here in addition to my 4* champs)
The final node in PVE is always level 320 regardless of how many of the 4* are boosted.

0 boosted average level of top3 is ~275
1 boosted average level of top3 is ~307
2 boosted average level of top3 is ~338
3 boosted average level of top3 is ~370

Comments

• stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    There's a quote from customer service from about a year (or so) ago, where they say enemies are determined by the average of your top three characters, including boosts. I believe a lot of people have been repeating that for a while, without realizing it's no longer true. It's possible it's because so many of the most experienced players have moved on to the 5* tier, where the weekly boosts don't count for as much, so they haven't noticed anything unexpected.

My enemy levels always top out at 338. Week in, week out, every event, regardless who's boosted. Some weeks it's a huge advantage, because Teen Jean is boosted to 380, other weeks it's a drag (Kingpin isn't exactly my favorite PvE character).Those levels were up from 333 after I added 5 levels to OML. Adding 5 levels to OML made my enemy levels go up by 5; 1:1 relationship, no averaging involved. I was paying attention!
  • Hadronic
    Hadronic Posts: 338 Mover and Shaker
    Ok, I just thought I would mention this cause I read posts here all the time they saying things like, "once you have 3 boosted 4* all the time it is ok to level a 5* to 360 and it won't affect your scaling". Which is just completely false.

I am currently just soft capping all my 5* near my 4* champs.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, now I can confirm that scaling uses more than just your 3 top chars for its calculations, probably your whole roster up to a certain point.

I have been levelling my other 5s, without adding covers to my main top 3 chars, and I got some extra levels in the max difficulty level. For example, when I champed Thanos, which is my 7th champed 5, my max scaling went from 440 to 441 (not a big difference, but a difference). So what I think is scaling uses your top 3 chars (like 70-80% weight in the calculation) and then your whole roster (like 20-30%) for calculating the final max scale level (obviously this numbers are just examples, what I mean is that your 3 top chars has a much bigger influence in your scaling than the rest of your roster).
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    I think polares might be onto something....I have not added any new champ 5* in the recently months but I have champed 12-15 3*.....definitely see jump in pve scaling.

Darknes21 (XTREMIS)
  • Definitely on to something here. Between The Hunt: Florida and Unstable Iso8: Mediterranean, the enemy levels went from 302 to 308. The only real difference in my roster is that I've been putting iso into xfw. He's still not in the top 3, but it looks like those levels have played a role in the algorithm.

I did finish champing him during this sub so I'll post here what impact he had on the next sub enemy levels.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I seem to get slight increases in levels for the upper nodes when I have boosted characters above 270 (where my first 3 5 Stars are)
    like in Unstable ISO 8 the level for the 5th play of node 6 is 293
    last time I had no heroes boosted above 270 it was 289
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Since I champed my first 4* (Thoress), my scaling jumped a little; from topping at 289 to 307. The final CP node turned red. Then I champed my second 4* (Cyke) and the scaling stayed at 307. Then recently Thoress was boosted. My scaling stayed but the CP node changed color to yellow.

Since then I have put several levels to my other 4*, some of them are fully covered; all to 188. Then my scaling crept to 310. In the current Unstable ISO-8 I have XFW boosted, from 188 to 293; the sole 4* among the top 4 on boosted list. And my scaling stays at 310.

My 5* all stay at 255. I have no intention to level them up in foreseeable future.

I think the strength of the whole roster is now the deciding factor to peg the scaling. I'm keeping an eye on the scaling as I continue to level up my 4*.