Why don't we get regular forum updates anymore?

Rykard
Rykard Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
We used to get regular forum updates with new character hints, and new character details, and little bits of information about upcoming MPQ stuff almost daily. Why did that stop? I liked getting to speculate about upcoming new heroes before they hit the game. I was surprised to look at the rewards for the next PVE and see Mordo and have no clue that there was a new character coming.

Comments

• BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Working for a big company.. I've learned that most companies fail to properly support big change initiatives leading to a success rate of only around 25% - D3 is looking to be no exception to this.

If I've learned anything, there is no such thing as over communicating, however under communicating leads to active disengagement and for people to write their own stories/narrative about specific situations.

This forum proves this over and over - more communication is wanted. needed. appreciated.

{Edit - since Brigby joined, there has been many improvements in communication, but as stated, we need constant communication to ensure players aren't making the narrative up}

Thanks! star.pngstar.pngstar.png
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    You two might enjoy the monthly MPQ Sneak Peek then: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58291

I do my best to continuously keep that updated ahead of time to highlight any upcoming events, character buffs, and character hints/reveals. Hope that helps! icon_e_smile.gif
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Posts about Mordo and other new characters are still there, but instead of it being a separate Red post, it's now part of the MPQ Sneak Peak thread.

*Edit: I see Brigby already responded to say pretty much the same thing.*

I think Brigby is doing well keeping us informed.

I'm still hoping to hear soon about the exciting new feature that Josh mentioned in an interview a few months ago... or whether that was one of the recent features that have already been released?

To be quite frank, the main reason why I read the "Piecing Together" articles is not to learn more about the new characters but to glean any information about exciting upcoming features added to the game.
  • Rykard
    Brigby wrote:

I do my best to continuously keep that updated ahead of time to highlight any upcoming events, character buffs, and character hints/reveals. Hope that helps! icon_e_smile.gif

oooooooooooooooo! So instead of doing several individual update posts in a week this one post is just getting regularly updated as more information comes available? I get it. I hadn't realized that you were doing that now. And now that I look at the post more closely I see the Piecing Together articles. One further question though, am I missing the upcoming character hints that used to have that one sentence hint, the power breakdown of colors, and the vague power explanation?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby wrote:

This still doesn't replace individual boosts for each new release in the character subforum with skill info, health, match damage and stats. What would it take to start getting those in a timely manner again?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby is doing a great job, but one piece of constructive criticism. A lot of things that used to go to the news and announcement section aren't anymore. That was primarily where I looked for official word on things, but only about 50% of the new stuff is getting put over there anymore. I dislike that change. It was hard enough before to find official posts that are buried in threads, there need to be less of those, not more.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Yea, I miss having a the mystery character page up with the moves cost, colors, and powers before the character was even revealed. Its funny to look back at older characters where the first posts were guesses on who the character is. Now characters are either announced or spoiled (Mordo was listed as boosted before he was confirmed) and we don't get an official character page before they're released.
  • Brigby
    Rykard wrote:
    One further question though, am I missing the upcoming character hints that used to have that one sentence hint, the power breakdown of colors, and the vague power explanation?
    We usually include the character hints in Pre-Release notes. If players prefer it though, I could also include it in the MPQ Sneak Peek.

Usually Cthulhu does the character breakdowns, but since he works in Production, he has been getting slammed with work lately. I'll talk to him about seeing if there's an easy way for me to take on that responsibility, or at the very least share some of it, so we can get that information out to you guys sooner.
    broll wrote:
    Brigby is doing a great job, but one piece of constructive criticism. A lot of things that used to go to the news and announcement section aren't anymore. That was primarily where I looked for official word on things, but only about 50% of the new stuff is getting put over there anymore. I dislike that change. It was hard enough before to find official posts that are buried in threads, there need to be less of those, not more.
    Do you mean when I update the posts? My apologies. You're absolutely right.

I'll be better at remembering next time to update the post in the News and Announcements section as well, not just the one in General Discussion.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Another factor is that Brigby is now playing the game and doesn't have time to talk to us about it because he is always grinding.
  • Brigby
    madok wrote:
    Another factor is that Brigby is now playing the game and doesn't have time to talk to us about it because he is always grinding.
    The Big Enchilada is really hard for me, ok? icon_razz.gif
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    One thing I miss are the Developer youTube videos.
    They stopped some time around October I believe.

I totally understand the time investment it takes to make one though. It's time spent not working on the game, and the return on investment is hard to gauge.
    However, visually seeing & the developers hearing them talk to us about what's coming, especially when it's for content that isn't a new character, is much more personal and gives us another avenue of interaction between the devs and the player base.
    I wish they'd return in some form. Maybe the next big feature release we'll get one?
  • Rykard
    Hey Brigby,

Thanks for being available for questions, open to feedback, and flexible to change. You've voluntarily listened to this small thread of opinions and taken it upon yourself to add to your regular work responsibilities solely to grow the community for MPQ.

photofunky.gif