Reduce 5* Cover CP Costs for Classic Legends

babinro
babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I've been thinking about a way to address the dilution in 5* Classic packs and I think I found one that would be very simple in terms of implementation.

The Problem
Opening classic packs to champion 5*'s has become a beginners trap. It requires an enormous amount of luck to get ahead and in most cases you can fully expect to throw away many excess 5* covers because they were the wrong color. There are simply too many 5*'s in classics that dilution has become a major issue. Trying to champion someone in classics is completely unsatisfying and the 720 cp asking price for a single cover is completely unreasonable when you understand how much good that CP would do in Latest Legends when properly hoarding.

The Solution
Reduce the cover purchase for CLASSIC LEGENDS 5* ONLY to 240 CP.

Why is this change good for the game?
1) This change represents the option of gradual progress on a weekly basis. Something that would greatly enhance a players mood and help keep them invested in the game. Lets face it, saving for 250-300+ pulls in latest legends because that's the only reasonable way to champion a 5* and make meaningful end game progress is a big cause for burnout among the vets.

2) You can ONLY buy covers you've unlocked. The fact that you need one of each over means there's incentive to still open covers using the RNG system first. This will still be a point of frustration for some as my 8 yellow, 2 red, 0 blue Captain America would illustrate but many of us will get one of each cover in time even with dilution as it is.

3) This can only be 'abused' until the character is championed and not further. No worries about this enabling a harmful 5* environment because you can't abuse this to go beyond level 450.

4) This gives players and whales a compelling choice of how they want to spend their resources. Right now, its Latest Legends or nothing when it comes to the decision to try to obtain a level 450 5*. This change would give them a realistic option of foregoing Latest Legends briefly in order to finish up characters who are are close but couldn't quite make it. Admittedly, most players would still save for Latest but in the event there's a character or two they don't like, the decision to work on Classic characters again becomes a very realistic decision. Alternatively, they could save for Latest while using buy clubs to purchase missing covers in Classics (which should appeal to D3's bottom line).

5) This change seems extremely easy to implement. When coding the necessary changes to switch a character into Latest simply adjust the values of CP from 720 to 240. This makes for an easy change that won't necessarily solve our 5* problems but would go a long way to helping them.

Do you have any relatively easy to implement changes that could help out 5* progression?
Thoughts and opinions are welcome.