do you think giving out more mythics would screw the game?

Options
morgue427
morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
edited February 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
not trying to start a flame war just curious as to what people though about it and why. please comment and the thinking behind it

that said i dont think it would honestly it would, it would change it yes and it would more importantly change the meta alot where the haves and the have nots would need to rely on deck building skills not just copy and paste winning decks, which would also force people to learn how to play decks because a game momentum shift is all that is needed sometimes but with out the understanding of how to do that you lose.
just my 2 cents wroth is all any other theories?

Comments

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    morgue427 wrote:
    and it would more importantly change the meta alot where the haves and the have nots would need to rely on deck building skills not just copy and paste winning decks,

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If anything, the presence of more mythics would result in more deck duplication, because there are some cards that are so far ahead of the power curve that they're essentially a must-include in most decks if you own it.

The problem with the game isn't necessarily the number of mythics being handed out. It's that power levels are out of balance, and 90% of the commons and uncommons in the game are useless. In fact, they're beyond useless, with rarity taxes that far exceed what would be sensible. This creates a scenario where despite having 1040 cards available for use, the actual amount of viable cards is much less. The more mythics one has, the more this problem is compounded, until you reach platinum tier where you're just running into collections of overpowered cards seeing who can abuse the RNG first.

One thing I like about my alt playing in silver tier is that there's so much more deck diversity precisely because there aren't as many mythics floating around.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You can't just give them away, they need to be up for crystal purchase. Everyone participating in the game has crystals, they should be able to trade those in for hard to obtain cards.

That being said, I can't see how a player starting the game right now would have much of a chance obtaining some of the nice cards from early sets. I don't think it would be detrimental to the game to offer more mythic packs with a shortlist of earlier mythics. I mean, I myself have never obtained Mirrorpool, but if I were to obtain it, do you think I would be any more of a threat than I am now? (The answer is "not really").

Think of it this way: We can only choose 10 cards for a deck. Suppose I can already build a powerful deck with the cards that I have. Sure, there might be a couple cards that would make it even stronger, but honestly, there is no way I'll be able to build anything better than what is already out there.

In addition, matchmaking also makes a huge difference. As long as they can factor in relative deck strengths, then I think we're Ok.

And on the topic of "net-decking", well if everyone obtained the cards and played the same decks, that would be the meta, and of course the pro-active players would just build a defense for it.
  • morgue427
    Options
    i agree older sets should have some of the mythics for sale if for no other reason than to boost income because some people will go"oh i need that card for xxx deck". plus with more cards out there building to counter those more, and more powerful decks becomes the new meta. also i think power creep is happening hard i mean 12/12s and not just a couple wont be long before there older creatures wont be playable except if it is a mythic or a very special ability ie serene stewart, then she is just put in to buff the over powered one.

perhaps then a pauper challenge is what this game needs to show off what some of those useless cards can do when they are being clobbered down over powered cards
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think more mythics in more hands is the answer as we'd just end up facing more of the same deck over and over. However, there is a glaring balance issue with the game where certain mythics are so incredibly powerful that they instantly become an issue to contend with while others are much less powerful. Add to that certain colors have the only really viable cards for certain strategies locked behind multiple cards of mythic rarity and you've got a situation where the entire system should be re-examined.

For example:
    Exert Influence, Olivia, Decimator are all examples of insanely powerful mythic rare cards that have to be addressed as soon as they're played. But then compare those cards to ones like Demon of Dark Schemes and you can see the power level disparity just between mythic rare cards. Not every mythic rare card needs to be a power bomb, however, there should be some general consensus as to how powerful these cards ought to be. Perhaps if they simply followed their paper counterparts a little more closely.... Exert Influence having a power cap to how large a creature it can take, Olivia only granting a power buff and haste to other creature entering, and Decimator giving a buff that only lasts until the end of turn.

As for my other point, they have pushed for red energize in the Inventor's Fair events, but the cards that actually make red energy viable (Dynavolt Tower and Lightning Runner come to mind) are locked away as event rewards and mythic rarity. Key cards to making a strategy work should be bumped down to rare so they can be in more people's hands, and make the sets they're in more successful.
  • morgue427
    Options
    honestly i like seeing red as the energy removal keeps the people that have overkill decks from being that way but i am not a fan of it as a mechanic so i may be a bit biased.
  • wereotter
    Options
    morgue427 wrote:
    honestly i like seeing red as the energy removal keeps the people that have overkill decks from being that way but i am not a fan of it as a mechanic so i may be a bit biased.

I liked that idea in theory, but in practice, simply not enough people run energize, even with Dovin and Nissa, as a strategy for a red energy removal deck to be viable. You can't play your Harnessed Lightning to a worthwhile effect if your opponent isn't running energy. Same story with Lathnu Hellion. You've got a similar problem with red overload creatures not being that much cheaper than their blue and green counterparts, ultimately just slowing you down if there's not enough energy gems on the board.

The idea was a good try, but a failure, and needs to be addressed so as not to hose one color for the entire block.
  • morgue427
    Options
    i say that only because nissa 2 hasnt be available yet to the masses for crystals and there are still all of the aer top cards they are using for events to give out, which might swing the amount of people playing energy decks, i have seen it creep up a bit with aether hub helping mana considerably on some decks but for the most part no, not worth putting in for just the occasional use
  • wereotter
    Options
    morgue427 wrote:
    i say that only because nissa 2 hasnt be available yet to the masses for crystals and there are still all of the aer top cards they are using for events to give out, which might swing the amount of people playing energy decks, i have seen it creep up a bit with aether hub helping mana considerably on some decks but for the most part no, not worth putting in for just the occasional use

True. Nissa isn't as widely played yet. I have both and run strong energy builds for both, but in my experience seeing these planeswalkers in events and quick battles, I seem to be in the minority there. More people seem to be playing Dovin for his colors than his abilities, and he's the stronger of the two when it comes to energizing the field and overload effects.