Introduction of new tokens [poll]

Histamiel
Histamiel Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
With the increase number of characters in-game, the dilution of the odds to pull a specific character in high tiers have significantly lowered. It's maybe time for odd adjustment in the existing tokens and also the introduction of new ones.
For beginner, the task of getting an interesting roster is very tedious and some tier are overrepresented in the tokens (* and **) and some not so much (*** and *****). There is no token that provide high odds for ***. It could be interesting if they introduce this kind of token.
For vets, getting ***** can be very frustrating because the odds are actually so low. Maybe they could introduce a token that provide them only with high odds for the more classic ones. And this token will be only available for high scl players as progression reward for PvE and PvP.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    We have a token that's mainly 1/2 (with some 3); we have a mainly 2/3 (with some 4); we have a 4/5. What we don't have is a 3/4.

I get that high end players want more control over 5* acquisition rates, but I'd argue that a 3/4 would be more beneficial to a greater segment of the player base. Champion rewards for 3* feed into LT acquisition, and 4* covers (eventually) do the same.

Fill that hole (and replace standards with elites at higher SCL), and that will address two issues. 5* acquisition still needs to be tackled even with that, but that's a first step that helps transitions at both the 4* and 5* tiers.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    We have a token that's mainly 1/2 (with some 3); we have a mainly 2/3 (with some 4); we have a 4/5. What we don't have is a 3/4.

I get that high end players want more control over 5* acquisition rates, but I'd argue that a 3/4 would be more beneficial to a greater segment of the player base. Champion rewards for 3* feed into LT acquisition, and 4* covers (eventually) do the same.

Fill that hole (and replace standards with elites at higher SCL), and that will address two issues. 5* acquisition still needs to be tackled even with that, but that's a first step that helps transitions at both the 4* and 5* tiers.

Really, they should have made elites that 3/4 token and if they felt there actually was a need for something between std and heroic, just call it std+ because that's all it would merit being called.

Since they didn't do that, there is another class of token that could fill the 3/4 gap, event tokens, simply give out less of them to balance things (replace some with elites/heroics in events) although that would require some tweaking of vaults too.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think advanced players would all love to know that with enough hard work, they can actually win a 5* cover and not just be stuck to the devastating winds of chance.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I personally would want the tier-specific token, but I think the one that would fill the most significant need is the 5* one.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I say a token that is tier specific. Whether that means we just tweak token odds depending on your shield rank (for instance a standard has elite pull rates, elites become heroics, heroics are a 3/4 only, 10-15CP or a new token for 4* only, the ability to go strictly for 5*,etc.). Someone at shield rank 80+ doesn't need more 1* characters.

Basically, once you hit and play at a shield level, every token should be better than it was at lower levels. I am level 71. I like my 2* farm, but I have zero need for 1* anything and I am still struggling to acquire 4* characters at a regular frequency. With so many characters, I feel I am constantly losing ground in that race. I understand the CP rewards are worthwhile, and the 4* progression rewards in PVE are nice... I still can't get the PVP ones easily enough and the crash of the titans I probably can win only once a month. But I have all 3* characters champed and every 4* character is rostered right now... I just don't want to spin my wheels because it will lead to burnout.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 394 Mover and Shaker
    I'm conflicted with which to vote for: 5* token (or at least REALLY high percentage of drawing a 5*) or 3/4 token.

Right now, I would benefit more from a 3/4 token and I feel that would be a better way to get champ levels and actual 4 star covers. And this would benefit mostly everyone. Everyone has 3*s and some 4*s and when they are champed, it's always some prize with a cover.

But I completely understand the small percentage of actually getting 5*s. You can get 3*s through DDQ and you can get a small amount of 4* with high progression in PVE and PVP, but the only time you can get a 5* without lucking into it from a token, is by getting one on the daily supply list. For higher level characters, there needs to be a way to (almost) guarantee 5*s.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep Elites the same with 2* and a chance for a 3*. Remove 2*'s from Heroics so it's a 3* only token with a higher chance for 4*. Then give out Elites more often than Heroics. There you go.. solves the problem!

Maybe make a 5* only token for a 120 CP (price of a specific 4* cover) since they're churning out 5*'s at a fast rate.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    standards 1-2*
    elites 2-3*
    heroics 3-4*
    classics/latest 4-5*

makes sense to me.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    With all the talk of Lightning Rounds, it got me thinking back to the time when there actually were 3* tokens in the game. They were given as placement in lightning rounds, along with specific 3* covers. You can still search up 3-year-old threads where people discuss strategies for doing not too well in LRs, because if you already had a placement cover at 5, you'd rather take a spin for a random one that you might still need.

The olden days!
  • catcusvader
    catcusvader Posts: 93 Match Maker
    I would like to see vault or token for 4* recent and classic( first 20 or so released). Every time I open either legendary token or classic, I get the older 4 stars far more than recent ones.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Crowl wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

Really, they should have made elites that 3/4 token and if they felt there actually was a need for something between std and heroic, just call it std+ because that's all it would merit being called.

Since they didn't do that, there is another class of token that could fill the 3/4 gap, event tokens, simply give out less of them to balance things (replace some with elites/heroics in events) although that would require some tweaking of vaults too.

Wholeheartedly agree. It should go:
    Standards = 1/2
    Elites = 2/3
    Heroics = 3/4
    Legendaries = 4/5

It almost that now. Just need to fix Heroics.
  • karlosdj
    karlosdj Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    RoboDuck wrote:
    Crowl wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree. It should go:
    Standards = 1/2
    Elites = 2/3
    Heroics = 3/4
    Legendaries = 4/5

It almost that now. Just need to fix Heroics.

This every day!! but sadly doubt anyone from the game will read this to get it implemented ...can only wish and hope they do icon_e_sad.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    None of the above, thanks. I do want another token type but I want it to address dilution. I don't care about making it tier-specific.

Make a token type that lets 3*s and 4*s be split into two categories so people can more easily farm the ones they want, the way LTs work. Those tiers are both so bloated that the tokens are essentially completely irrelevant to progressing in them. I have opened exactly one Strange cover out of all the tokens I've opened since his release, for example. That's lame.

They should be aiming for a particular probability for tokens to be useful to players on average and trying to adjust tokens on a fairly regular basis in order to maintain it. The current system makes a new token type usually a great deal when it comes out and then gradually fade into meaninglessness, which is bad design that forces more coding work on the devs for no particular reason, and reduces player engagement in the game.
  • Khanwulf
    Khanwulf Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    I'd very much like to see a 3/4:star: token, and even a 5:star: token--though that would have to be very rare or very expensive in CP.

We have a 4/5 token through CP, and a 2/3 token through elites, but nothing for the 3/4 transition (and heroic tokens don't count since they spit out more 2:star: than anything else).

--Khanwulf