LR scoring

Daiches
Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So... seeds in LR started at 25 points and I can't Q teams worth more than 25 points. Someone close to my score Qd me for 21. Are these LRs a test for major score adjustments?

Brigby, this info wasn't in your announcement. Please elaborate on this.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is how LR always are, at least to me. I fight seed teams over-and-over again until I finally start to see real teams, like around 150pts.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    This is how LR always are, at least to me. I fight seed teams over-and-over again until I finally start to see real teams, like around 150pts.

Seed teams usually start at 38 points, not 25. This change means more fights to get to 100 and 250, and means that even best case scenario you have to fight more than one non-seed team to reach 250. I want to say it's just a case of them dusting off an old thing and forgetting to make sure the numbers behind it are correct (they're running with the same default value as the last time 4* LR were run).
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    you also lose 30+ points if you wipe, on top of only being able to queue 25 pointers.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    This is old school scoring for sure....brought back good memories of a simpler time without 5*s.....

Now fix it please icon_e_smile.gif
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Wow, these are terrible. Thanks but no thanks.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches wrote:
    So... seeds in LR started at 25 points and I can't Q teams worth more than 25 points. Someone close to my score Qd me for 21. Are these LRs a test for major score adjustments?

Just a guess but I'm thinking they used the 1st anniversary template (last time 20 man LRs was used) but never updated the scoring model, max fight value 50 instead of 75, neutral value 25 instead of 38
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    Daiches wrote:

Just a guess but I'm thinking they used the 1st anniversary template (last time 20 man LRs was used) but never updated the scoring model, max fight value 50 instead of 75, neutral value 25 instead of 38

<sigh> Don't they ever test this stuff before releasing it? </sigh>
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,581 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    Daiches wrote:

That's got to be what is happening here. Since everyone else is getting the same values, it doesn't really affect much. It just makes it hard to get to the progression rewards. So you can't get most of the way to 250 on seed teams, I'm afraid.

You might miss out on >gasp< a Standard Token! icon_e_smile.gif
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Moon Roach wrote:

<sigh> Don't they ever test this stuff before releasing it? </sigh>

Ha ha ha

Nope - we are the beta testers remember?

Now stop posting on forums and get back to paying for a game where you are the beta tester icon_e_smile.gif
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lots of tough enemies, low scoring... that's okay.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    The starting levels of the enemies are higher too are they not? I don't remember seeds having 25-32 ish levels.
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    I was wondering the same, Jungs and venom both over 2k HP.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Something new they're trying is disappointing.

Look how shocked I am: icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would guess that this is because the 20-player LRs haven't been seen since before the pvp scoring shift in april/may 2015. This looms luke the old 25-50 point scoring scale.

Wonder if mmr is also affected. Are 2* + undercovered 5* rosters getting bad matches?
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    My MMR has been decent. Play against three star teams until 170 then play against four star teams. Haven't had to go against a five star yet.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I would guess that this is because the 20-player LRs haven't been seen since before the pvp scoring shift in april/may 2015. This looms luke the old 25-50 point scoring scale.

Wonder if mmr is also affected. Are 2* + undercovered 5* rosters getting bad matches?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe, BUT ....

The other bug part of the May 2015 scoring change was to discount defensive wins by 67%.

They DID remember to put that bit in.

Soooo ... nerfed scoring, nerfed dwins, fewer(?) seeds ... all combining to nail scores down to the floor.

Funbalanced!

Maaaaaaaaaaybe, but why?

Iso from LRs is less important now that other sources have been enhanced.

Nor will nerfed scoring prevent players from hitting 500 points in LRs anyway (and most iso alsocomes from post-match rewards, not progs, so lowers scores have little impact).

And what, maybe 5% of the playerbase really grinds LRs anyway. Changes to LR scoring have a pretty small marginal impact.

I can see demi/d3 wanting to push back on thanos + seeds. But the format takes care of that on its own. Why bother going even further with a stealth change to scoring? I favor a "mistake" based answer over a conspiratorial one in this instance.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I favor a "mistake" based answer over a conspiratorial one in this instance.

Mistake or conspiracy: you've basically boiled the game down to its essence with that one. By my personal reckoning, I'd put mistakes as about nine time more frequent than conspiracies, so I'm siding with you here.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I don't think I've ever seen a seed team in a LR. Ever. (Which is why I don't play them very often.)