Accomplishing the Unthinkable!

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Today I opened my MPQ to see I finished 1st in the PVP Soul Gem Season! I never thought I would place 1st in any event, let along PVP season. This Season also marked the first time I've reached 900 (3 times!) and I consistently earned higher scores of 800+, when I normally stop at 575. Punisher's journey to win 1st place below. Enjoy icon_e_biggrin.gif

As most of you may know, I am a PVE player and I only play PVP when I have time. I joined the PVP season late with Deadpool's Weapon Tex-Mex. I reached 750 with little problems but I stopped to focus on PVE. Then with Gamora's Lethal Intent I felt ambitious with my champed Gamora. This is the first event I reached 900 in PVP! It helped that I have a boosted champed JG. Then I decided to reach 2000 in SHIELD SIM. I went from 0-2000 without getting hit which was amazing. At this point I noticed I was 1st place in the PVP season by over 100pts. This motivated me to keep it going! But I only scored about 650 for Mohawk's Category-5 because I didn't have enough time to play. Afterwhich I noticed another player took over my 1st place spot by a measly 50 pts. Next was Riri's Flight Test, my 4hor was boosted and killing everyone. I switched to my 0/2/2 Riri later in the run so she wouldn't have her useless blue on defense. It was a tough PVP but I managed to etch out 900 points and use a 3hr shield. I was back at 1st but by barely 100 pts. Magneto's PVP was not fun as 4hor uses the same colors. I still used her but this event was a lot of healthpacks and I had to stop at 750. Now the other player is in 1st again by 100 pts.

Next was 3* Captain Marvel's PVP and of course my wife had our Friday night all planned out. She's a professional roller derby player (yes she can kick my **** lol). She needed me to drive her upstate (NY) to pick up her new skates. This is a 3-hour drive. I knew I would not be able to play PVP Friday night so I tried something different. I played Thursday night with the end time being Friday morning at 8AM (EST). My plan was to join the event early, let it build it, then start playing around 10PM, and use an 8hr shield at 12AM (EST) for the remainder of the event. Well this event kicked ****. 4hor was the perfect boosted character for this event as you need a good stunner against the AP absorbing CapMarv. CapMarv was also awesome as I put her in front for damage attacks so she gained red for 4hor plus her black stun is also good. This event was going good.. but alittle too good. I reached 900 (930 to be exact) with little problem but it was only 11:15PM.. 45 minutes from using the 8 hr shield. Then I got attacked.. now I'm down to 890.. I panicked and had no choice but to use a 24hr Shield for 300 freaking HP (UGH)! PVP rookie mistake but I was happy with the results. I was able to drive my wife upstate without worrying about the game (Civil War Boss Event helped too). While I was still in 1st place, I noticed there was now another competitive player trying to steal my first place spot as this player was now at 2nd. Now I had two players breathing down my throat with around 200 hundred points under me.

One more event left, Howard's Fowl Play and I had a few problems: 1. I missed the two first opportunities to acquire Howard so mine was only 0/2/2 after the event; 2. 4hor was no longer boosted and I don't have a covered Quake/MK/Nova; 3. The Superbowl, when would I be able to play? This caused great concern for me. With the Superbowl, I knew I wouldn't be able to play all day on Sunday so I decided to use the same approach I did with Captain Marvel's PVP, I joined early Saturday morning for a slice that ended 8AM (EST). This PVP was tough without boosted characters, but a mixture of my champed 4* went well.. except those freaking Invisibility tiles from Howard extended matches way too long! Tons of healthpacks this event but overall it went as good as I could expect. I was aiming for 900 but once I reached 860, the next match caused me to be back at 825. I stopped as it was past 12AM (EST) and I shielded. I was at a comfortable 1000pt lead for the PVP Season. I didn't care for the Howard cover and I knew my non-boosted team would get beat down.... which it did... badly... I made another PVP Rookie mistake... I woke up early at 7:40AM to go to the bathroom. I turned on MPQ and saw the PVP attack screen appear with "-250".. WHAT!!! I noticed I only bought a freaking 3hr shield and not the needed 8hr shield! Now I'm at 575 pts.. I panicked and started hitting all the retals as fast as I could. AP/Damage Boosts every match for the last 15minutes.. I managed to reach 789 by the time the event ended... it was insane... I got really lucky for waking up before the event while also recovering a majority of my points back. I'm still at first place by 800pts... would it be enough? The other two players have better rosters.. so I didn't think it would but my SHIELD SIM was back down to 1500pts so I could easily earn another 200-400 pts as a backup if needed. I was able to prepare for the Superbowl party and enjoy the game. I consistently kept checking the rankings to see if there was any change. Oddly, by the time the Superbowl ended, the points were still the same.. I did the first slice of Howard's PVP.. is it possible the two players below me will play the last slice?

I decided to would play SHIELD SIM when I got home... but then when I got home, my wife put me to sleep (got to love those margaritas lol)... I missed SHIELD SIM.. my wife actually woke me up at 1:55AM (EST) because she said I kept talking in my sleep.. perhaps my mind was trying to tell me to wake up to play SHIELD SIM to maintain my 1st place ranking! However, I turned on MPQ and with great surprise the other two players did not play Fowl Play! The points were the same and I was still in 1st place... it was unbelievable! 4-40pks, 25 CP, 300 HP and 5500 Iso (Woohoo!). As much as MPQ can piss me off, it's these types of accomplishments that make me love this game. I hope you enjoyed another Punisher story. Feel free to comment or share your PVP journeys below.

If you're interested in my 4-10pk pulls:
1st 10pack:
icon_vision.pngyellowflag.png
icon_caroldanvers.pngblackflag.png
drstrange_icon.pngpurpleflag.png
3-3*

2nd 10pack:
icon_psylocke.pngblackflag.png
icon_blade.pnggreenflag.png
icon_lukecage.pngyellowflag.png
icon_shehulk.pnggreenflag.png
buff_weekly.pngicon_x23.pngpurpleflag.png
4-3*', 1-4*

3rd 10pack:
buff_weekly.pngicon_jeangrey.pngpurpleflag.png
icon_caroldanvers.pngyellowflag.png
icon_wolverine.pngredflag.png
2-3*, 1-4*

4th 10pack:
icon_daken.pngblackflag.png
icon_hulk.pngredflag.png
buff_weekly.pngmedusa_icon.pngpurpleflag.png
icon_ironman.pngyellowflag.png
3-3*, 1-4*

15/40 Gold (.37%), 13/40 3* (.32%), 3/40 (.075%) - All useable covers.

I am going to use the won CP to buy Strange's last blue cover as I have 4 pending and I want to champ him.

Comments

• Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Congratulations, good read. Might help motivate me to go past 575!
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Congratulations on 1st place! Enjoy those placement rewards icon_e_biggrin.gif

PS. I think you need to shift a couple of those decimal points over icon_e_wink.gif
    15/40 Gold (.37%), 13/40 3* (.32%), 3/40 (.075%) - All useable covers.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Super big congratulations! I've never even come close. . . not even back when there were proper noob brackets. I hit 900 points more times this season than at any point since it was a 3* meta, and barely cracked 250.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Nice finish!
    May I ask what your total season point value was?
    We have similar rosters, but the top 20 players I'm against have season scores of 18,600 to 35,500 in first!
  • supbullcoc
    supbullcoc Posts: 77 Match Maker
    dude thats awesome, i finished in 350th, and thats getting 900+ in every event and 2000 in the simulator.

but the leaders in my bracket were over 25k in points and i finished just over 10k

ill never see 1st, let alone a 10pk
  • Punisher5784
    Rick OShay wrote:
    Nice finish!
    May I ask what your total season point value was?
    We have similar rosters, but the top 20 players I'm against have season scores of 18,600 to 35,500 in first!

I had 7007 pts. The only reason I placed first with that score was because of two things: I started mid-Season (bracket had 2000 players when I joined) and I chose SCL6 since the main progression rewards are the same (e.g. Covers, Tokens, CP) but slightly less Iso which the 40pks makeup the loss of Iso with 2* champ levels.
  • Punisher5784
    Congrats! Now, what SCL was this in?

Ah, I see in reply, late join in SCL 6.

PVP is already heating up again. I went SCL 8, after going 6 a few seasons. Put up more points for a lower finish, and less loot.

Will you continuing going 6?

Not sure as I never cared for PVP outside of reaching 2000 in Shield Sim and 575 in regular PVP but since I seem to be able to hit above my old weight I might play PVP more. Now I understand why most players say playing PVP is easier to earn rewards (4* cover, CP) than PVE. I don't know if I'll join SCL6 again. If anything I would join SCL7. I don't see a huge difference in rewards between SCL8 and 7 in PVP. I'll let you know how my journey continues.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Joining late matters a lot.

Last 2 seasons I've joined late in SCL-7 and gotten T30 finishes to get 1 extra 10 pack. I'm only scoring 5K for the season. Another 1K would get me into T25 for 2 10 packs (my goal for next season). In my current bracket 13K got first and 11K got 2nd place.

By late I mean joining after the first 2 PvP events end so that you play the 3rd PvP late on the final day of it. Obviously no shield sim till then either.

KGB