Auto Play

bpcontra
bpcontra Posts: 176
This game obviously has a huge grind component to it. Some of it has to do with the fact that once you get to a certain level/shield rank, certain battles, like DDQ (4* round exception) become automatic wins that just take time...its not fun, you know you are going to win, its just a matter of how long it takes you.

I think once you get to a certain shiled rank (60?), you should be allotted 5 auto play points which effectively simulates the match for you and lets you move on. Due to it being a simulation, theres obviously a chance you could lose. These auto play points could regenerate every 24 hous, so it is effectively a once a day burst.

Thoughs?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not even remotely interested in that. Rather than have some odd simulation/auto play thing, just don't require people above a certain SCL to do some of those low level really easy nodes.

For example:
    SCL above 60 don't have the 1* & 2* nodes, but have the required, tbe, and some 4* node. The lost ISO/token from the early 3 are still awarded either at the full completion or something else.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh god.... you know d3's fix to this will be to replace the easy nodes with hard nodes again. So instead of having 3 easy nodes, 3 hard nodes and 3 essentials you'll have 6 hards nodes.

Is that what you want?
    IS IT?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Autoplay sounds horrible. If there is content in the game that is too boring to do, then it is time to uninstall the game. If I'm not the one who is actually going to play the game, I can do that just as easily by not launching it at all and saving my phone's battery. Future Fight went hard down this road, and it was the primary thing that caused me to uninstall.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    See now I like that Future Fight lets me auto-play lots of parts of the game. That greatly eases farming resources needed to upgrade characters for the parts of the game that you can't auto-play.

To progress in MPQ in 4* land or higher, you need to be actively playing, staring at your phone, what is it, 2+, 3+ hours per day, every day, on a set schedule? I just can't do that. Which is why I've dwindled down to almost zero play time these days. Meanwhile in FF, I can set auto-play, let it go for however long I need for whatever it is needs doing, and come back later to play the manual portions.

But to each their own I guess.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Future Fight, for me, got to the point where "playing it" meant to start the autoplay, set my phone screen down on my desk, and come back in an hour. I mean, it had other problems too, with twenty different things you needed to grind for. Grind for biometrics to get a character, then increase your characters mastery, increase rank, increase level, level up skills, level up outfit components, get a costume, level up the costume, apply an iso set, level up the iso, fuse iso into higher ranked iso, equip extra gear, rank up gear. All these weird rabbit holes pretty much required way too much grind, so the autoplay was the status quo. But, that doesn't mean the best solution is to have a game that will grind itself for you. The solution is to reward a player enough for their own efforts playing it in the first place. Make a progression system where you can actually make progress by actually playing yourself.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    This is not a terrible idea, Marvel Contest of Champions allows autoplay also. Sometimes it's nice when you're wiping. This was also part of a new features survey last year, so it's not out of the question.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just use Th3nos and some random unused characters (or self-healers), and those easy nodes will be green-checked before you know it.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wouldn't mind some component of auto-play. The developers alluded that it was coming back when they polled us all on new features; assigning characters to complete tasks off-screen is what it sounded like to me, which is basically auto-play.

This type of stuff is fine as long as it doesn't cover up for boring, repetitive game play. MPQ is repetitive, but I don't think its boring.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    You mistook the 'general discussion' forum for the 'suggestions and feedback' forum.

Aside from that, it's a bad idea. Reducing the grinding with auto play is just fighting symptoms. If the game gets too grindy you should go for the root cause.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    So if the game is actually just playing itself AI-style, I'd never use it because the AI will lose a lot and waste all my health packs.

I wouldn't mind a "clear ticket" resource where you spend one to just instantly clear a node once, but you'd need a way to limit it, otherwise people could just stockpile a whole bunch and cheese their way to #1 on an event. Gosh, it's almost like making PVE competitive and putting a timer on it was a bad idea.
  • bpcontra
    bpcontra Posts: 176
    Auto-clear tokens was more in line with what I meant. Instantly clear up to 5 battles per day
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Autoplay itself is useless - you can turn this into an idle game and result will be the same.
    On the other side some offline/autoplay feature for covers you wont use in next hours would be cool. We have 100+ cover but we use... how much, 20-40% of them? Sending them on mission for 8 hours to get additional loot? Count me in - hoarding cover would at least make some deeper sense.