Is now a good time to talk off season changes?

Options
matthatter
matthatter Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Is it time to start speculating on what characters are going to be retooled this off season? Aside from the commonly heard names (I'm looking at you Mr. F, Punnisher, and Spiderman) who are you all hoping for?

Me, I would love to see in 3 star.png land Psylocke to be a bit more devastating (because, seriously, she is devastating) and She-Hulk. She should do a lot more damage with her Power of Attorney.

4 star.png ... well, truth is I have few that I use frequently but TBH that's my fault for not trying new things.

Discuss.

Comments

• Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Whatever they decide, I hope they announce it soon. I've got a Mr. F cover that expires in three days; I'm holding off on selling it in case he gets a buff...
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    In 3* land, Vision. Goodness knows he needs it - mostly because he's breaking all the time. Just redo all of the abilities from scratch.

In 4* land, Mr F is as good a candidate as any. I think he probably requires less tweaks than Vision and he'd become an interesting addition to a wide selection of teams.
    I'd potentially also want to see either Elektra or Fury getting a rework.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wouldn't expect a buff for Power of Attorney. Demiurge value tile destruction and board shake very highly, so the only way I can see that they'd increase its damage would be to increase its cost. I reckon it'd become very similar to GSBW's Sniper Rifle if they did that.

Fury? Fury is fine. Well, ok, his purple is a little overcosted and his damage numbers in general need a tune-up to compete with the newer 4*s (as he was one of the earliest ones). For example, 700 damage for matching your own Demolition tile is weaksauce, especially as doing so diminishes the total damage when the enemy matches one. I'm not saying it should be exactly like Countdown for What, but maybe make it 3/4ths of the individual trap damage rather than 1/2?

But I'd be just as happy for them not to touch Fury at all. I don't trust them not to try out some "new ideas" and mess up his mine-laying explosivity.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'd rather not see the devs waste their time on revising 3* characters.

Imo Mr. Fantastic is a prime candidate. If for some asinine reason they don't do him then I might like to see Venom.
  • Soma
    Soma Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Whatever they decide, I hope they announce it soon. I've got a Mr. F cover that expires in three days; I'm holding off on selling it in case he gets a buff...

Ditto. I've got both a MrF and Elektra on the vine and only the ISO to champ one. Come on Brigby, drop the knowledge! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    She-Hulk is one of the worst designed characters in the game, in terms of in-game abilities (and animations) capturing the character's spirit. But game play wise, she's probably the single-most underrated 3*. . . Furious Charge can be devastating. It's cheap, and it's brutal. . . it just doesn't deal damage.

People calling for a buff to Nick Fury should know that there was a time when the devs explicitly singled Nick Fury out as their standard-bearer for ideal 4* balance. Buffing Nick Fury will mean admitting to power creep, which is fine in abstract, but the people who make this game don't like to admit to things.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd personally like a tiny tweak to X23.
    Instead of changing the move permanently after getting 9 reds and then firing off her green once, simply change it to "Holding back" if you have less than 9 red and "Berserker Fury" if you have 9 or more. Makes it more effective.

Also yeah, Mr F is well overdue a revamp. Though it would be awkward for me sitting at 13 covers and no ISO.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd like to see all Versus events replaced with something akin to Combined Arms. icon_cool.gif
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wasp is probably too recently released to buff, but it would be very welcome

Why is it too early? Is there a rule that a character has to suck for 6 months or a year before they get buffed?
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It definitely needs to be Mr. Fantastic. His presence as-is, for this long, is beyond absurd. Past him, both Venoms. Drax. Wasp.

They could also make several other 4* characters viable simply with a boost to some of their numbers and/or changing their AP costs: Thing, Nick Fury, X-Force Wolverine, Fal Cap.

If they're doing any 3* characters, it better be two in the season! Prioritizing Spider-Man, of course.
  • Insert25c
    Insert25c Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'd settle for them shaving down some of these overly long animations. Seriously, just toss up the title, do a a single image/pose, then resolve.

Sitting through multiple Howard bill of rights almost made me want to smash my phone. And there are other similar culprits.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who do we want?

3* Spidey and/or Mr Fantastic, with Star Lord or IM40 level revamps. Make them GOOD.

Nice consolation prizes?

Bringing any of numerous 3*s up so they're more on par with the "good" 3*s. Some people say to skip the 3*s, but this game desperately needs a more solid foundation to attract and keep new players to increase its longevity. Reducing the number of 3*s that are disappointing at best would help that.

What are we going to get?

A questionable 4* buff. Either it's a tweak of someone that needs a buff, or a buff that does not seem substantial enough. Mr Fantastic is a prime candidate here, to let us spend a season trying to figure out if we're disappointed or not (before he becomes like Miles and people forget that he was changed in the first place)
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I keep forgetting Miles exists at all
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm guessing Bruce Banner e.g Silver Surfer & Cap
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't care who they buff/alter as long as they keep coming.

I keep hoping they change the heroic 10-pack to something worth achieving. Ten 2-stars (or 2500 iso for us non-farmers) is far too common of a result, and doesn't match the effort.

Maybe a LT or two instead?
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    She-Hulk could use some work, but it doesn't seem like they'd be easy to do. She's a weird case where she plays better on defense than she does when controlled by a player. Her powers seem pretty good when they're being used against me, but when I'm in control, the randomness of it all is just too aggravating. Furious Charge will empty the wrong AP pool, Settlement will grab the tiles I don't want, and then Power of Attorney will destroy the ones I've just stolen. When you're putting deliberate effort into gathering AP to activate them, and then they're supremely unhelpful, it's really annoying.

It works well when there's just a computer randomly making matches and firing them off though.

Maybe just adding some more control to her powers would make her more generally usable. Like choosing the tiles for settlement, or choosing which character's strongest color to empty of AP when you're using Furious Charge.

I'd personally like a tiny tweak to X23.
    Instead of changing the move permanently after getting 9 reds and then firing off her green once, simply change it to "Holding back" if you have less than 9 red and "Berserker Fury" if you have 9 or more. Makes it more effective.

I would hate this, as I like to pair X23 with a red AP user. With this, I'd have to choose between using the red power, or being able to get the benefits of Berserk Fury.

X23 really shines when she's in a longer battle, so her health recovery starts to shine, and she gradually has out more and more strike tiles, making tracking prey cheaper and cheaper. Particularly in that case, you don't want her ability to generate strike tiles to depend on sitting on a hoard of red AP the entire time.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wasp is probably too recently released to buff, but it would be very welcome

Why is it too early? Is there a rule that a character has to suck for 6 months or a year before they get buffed?

For most of the userbase, 4* characters won't be usable for six months to a year, so that's a pretty good timeframe... icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    fanghoul wrote:
    I would hate this, as I like to pair X23 with a red AP user. With this, I'd have to choose between using the red power, or being able to get the benefits of Berserk Fury.

X23 really shines when she's in a longer battle, so her health recovery starts to shine, and she gradually has out more and more strike tiles, making tracking prey cheaper and cheaper. Particularly in that case, you don't want her ability to generate strike tiles to depend on sitting on a hoard of red AP the entire time.

Thing is though, a longer fight is usually over by the time I've accumulated the green AP. For me, anyway. I rarely get too much benefit from her green move outside of sheer damage.

Not to mention in most cases with thi game, a longer battle means you're doing something wrong. I'd argue 9 red is hardly a hoard. Blade get triggered for the same amount.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,603 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fanghoul wrote:

Thing is though, a longer fight is usually over by the time I've accumulated the green AP. For me, anyway. I rarely get too much benefit from her green move outside of sheer damage.

Not to mention in most cases with thi game, a longer battle means you're doing something wrong. I'd argue 9 red is hardly a hoard. Blade get triggered for the same amount.

Currently, it costs 8 AP to use, 17 AP to flip, but once flipped, you get the enhanced version for just 8 AP per use. What you're suggesting is that we shouldn't have to wait for the flip, but that we should have to meet that 17 AP threshold every single time we want the enhanced effect.

To hell with that. It makes her useless with any team that uses red, and makes Berserker Fury even harder to manage against AP stealing teams. That makes it LESS effective, by a long shot.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Options
    Eh, I suppose you're right.
    I guess it's because I tend to use her with a team that doesn't use red so that on defense there's a higher chance of her flipping.

Yeah, I conceed the point.