Spending 1500 CP - The Journey to 4* Land

Options
broll
broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I have been saving all my CP and LTs since around October. Today I decided it was time to crack them open and get my first couple 4* champs. The main motivator for opening is many of my 4* are getting into the 10+ cover range and I had both icon_iceman.pngicon_peggycarter.pngblueflag.png dying on the vine. Plus 3 more Red Hulk covers was going to be bring me 12. It felt like it was time.

I had a little bit of problems with my tracking spreadsheet, so my data might not be 100% accurate, but it's close.

Starting resources:
ISO - 1,425,001
HP - 1,615
CP - 1,541
LL - 31

My plan was to open only Classics and continue to hoarding LL. My end goal was to get 3-5 4* champs.

Pull stats:
Total Pulls - 72
star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png - 68 (94%)
icon_professorx.png - 6 - blueflag.pngblueflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.pngyellowflag.png
icon_quake.png - 4 - yellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngblueflag.png
icon_redhulk.png - 4 - redflag.pnggreenflag.pngpurpleflag.pngpurpleflag.png
icon_wolverine.png - 4 - greenflag.pngblackflag.pngblackflag.pngyellowflag.png
icon_kingpin.png - 3 - blackflag.pngyellowflag.pngyellowflag.png
icon_spidergwen.png - 3 - purpleflag.pngredflag.pngredflag.png
icon_thor.png - 3 - yellowflag.pngblueflag.pngblueflag.png
wasp_icon.png - 3 - yellowflag.pngyellowflag.pngblackflag.png
icon_carnage.png - 2 - redflag.pngblueflag.png
icon_cyclops.png - 2 - redflag.pngblueflag.png
icon_iceman.png - 2 - purpleflag.pngpurpleflag.png
icon_lukecage.png - 2 - redflag.pngredflag.png
medusa_icon.png - 2 - yellowflag.pngyellowflag.png
icon_miles.png - 2 - redflag.pngredflag.png
icon_moonknight.png - 2 - purpleflag.pngpurpleflag.png
icon_mrfantastic.png - 2 - yellowflag.pngyellowflag.png
SpiderWoman_icon.PNG - 2 - blackflag.pngblackflag.png
icon_starlord.png - 2 - yellowflag.pngredflag.png
icon_wintersoldier.png - 2 - blueflag.pngredflag.png
icon_x23.png - 2 - greenflag.pngredflag.png
icon_antman.png - 1 - blueflag.png
icon_blade.png - 1 - redflag.png
icon_ghostrider.png - 1 - redflag.png
GwenpoolIcon.PNG - 1 - greenflag.png
icon_invisiblewoman.png - 1 - yellowflag.png
icon_jeangrey.png - 1 - purpleflag.png
icon_katebishop.png - 1 - blackflag.png
icon_nova.png - 1 - yellowflag.png
icon_peggycarter.png - 1 - yellowflag.png
icon_falcon.png - 1 - blueflag.png
icon_thing.png - 1 - redflag.png
icon_warmachine.png - 1 - greenflag.png
icon_venom.png - 1 - greenflag.png
Agent icon_venom.png - 1 - blackflag.png
star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png - 4 (6%)
icon_blackbolt.png - 1 yellowflag.png
icon_ironman.png - 1 - blueflag.png
icon_captainamerica.png - 1- yellowflag.png
icon_hulk.png - 1 - blackflag.png

End results:
4 new 4* champions:
icon_professorx.pngicon_redhulk.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_cyclops.png

1 new rostered 5*:
icon_ironman.png

Failed to use either of my early dying on the vine covers, added 2 more. Total dying on the vine (all 4*):
icon_thor.pngblueflag.pngblueflag.png
icon_iceman.pngblueflag.png
icon_peggycarter.pngblueflag.png

Ending resources:
ISO - 66,740
HP - 1,749
CP - 71
LL - 34

Restarting my hoarding.

Comments

• Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    Ouch. icon_cry.gif
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Prof-X and Cyclops were also my first two Champs. They, along with XFWolverine are a very good team.
    Play smart with Cyke blue and Xfw black & green and you'll set up plenty of match-5's. These earn lots more of your strongest color, while absolutely blasting the enemy team away.
    I'll also be champing Rulk soon, so I hope to hear how he plays with the others.

Overall I believe your pull went well maybe not in the direction you were hoping as much, but you'll find these will enable you to hit more goals more efficiently.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm most shocked about how little 5* you pulled.
    That hurts for sure I cashed 200cp recently and got 4× 5*

RNG is a ****!
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    6% 5* and no ice or peggy. That's rough. Good luck on pulling one from a heroic or something.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's a shame you didn't pull the covers for the characters you had on the vine, but. . .
    broll wrote:
    End results:
    4 new 4* champions:
    icon_professorx.pngicon_redhulk.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_cyclops.png

. . . this is a nice, solid starting place. For a two-man team at the 4* level (and excluding weekly buffs, of course), it doesn't get much better than Rulk and 4clops. And I think 4clops is one of the most fun, tactical characters in the game.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is devastating and depressing. 1500 CP and that few 5s?
    I'm glad you had realistic expectations.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i pulled 1000 worth of cp and a bunch of legendaries 2-3 months ago (ended up with around 75 pulls) and got 17 5*. so yeah, rng giveth and then not quite giveth so much.
  • broll
    Options
    I'm actually glad I didn't pull that many 5*s. I'm just starting out with 4* champs and have no interest in skipping that realm. It may be a year before I really start caring about 5*s. If there was a 4* only pull option I'd have taken that.

Anyway thanks for the comments and suggestions. The new recruits are helping greatly with R8 Cap
  • The Smoking Ace
    The Smoking Ace Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ouchie! I feel for you man. I remember saving up 500 cp once just so I could take a crack in the classics in hopes of getting some Phoenix covers. I had no luck what so ever. I kind of seen on here how now days most folks just save the cp in hopes of leveling up their 5 stars or having it on reserve to level up 4 stars ready to transition to champion mode. I've kind of gotten to that point where I'm just not confident in spending the cp anymore in classic and current. Which is good I guess cause I'm hording more cp, hero coins and iso.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That's a fine set of starting 4* champs. Shame you got so many one and two covers, but you did... okay.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow, just 6% for 5s. Threads like these convince me that I should really buy the last cover I need to finish GG, and that I will never finish my spidey, cap and banner. Even for my 10 cover IM it might be better to buy two covers and wait for the final one in resupply :S
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Wow, just 6% for 5s. Threads like these convince me that I should really buy the last cover I need to finish GG, and that I will never finish my spidey, cap and banner. Even for my 10 cover IM it might be better to buy two covers and wait for the final one in resupply :S

That depends.

I AM spending CP to finish my 551 bolt. Pulling the trigger on the 1st cover tomorrow. Odds are 2/3 against me of drawing the "right" bolt before I draw a wrong one. And thanks to dilution, no reason to expect I'd draw the 'right' one before the 'wrong' one died on the vine. Unless I was opening an enormous hoard of CP.

However, my goblin is 444. Any goblin cover I draw finishes him. No need to spend CP there.

Just as soon as I pile up another 720cp for the last Bolt cover, and champ Bolt and Surfer, I'll get right on drawing Classics again icon_lol.gif
    What I did when my Phoenix was 5/2/5 was save up 720 CP so I could buy a cover as needed, then Went back to opening Classics. If I happened to get a Purple Before Another cover was dying on the vine, awesome!
    ...didn't pan out that way, I got a green and spent the CP to champ her. The tactic was sound though. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Polares wrote:

That depends.

I AM spending CP to finish my 551 bolt. Pulling the trigger on the 1st cover tomorrow. Odds are 2/3 against me of drawing the "right" bolt before I draw a wrong one. And thanks to dilution, no reason to expect I'd draw the 'right' one before the 'wrong' one died on the vine. Unless I was opening an enormous hoard of CP.

However, my goblin is 444. Any goblin cover I draw finishes him. No need to spend CP there.

Just as soon as I pile up another 720cp for the last Bolt cover, and champ Bolt and Surfer, I'll get right on drawing Classics again icon_lol.gif
    What I did when my Phoenix was 5/2/5 was save up 720 CP so I could buy a cover as needed, then Went back to opening Classics. If I happened to get a Purple Before Another cover was dying on the vine, awesome!
    ...didn't pan out that way, I got a green and spent the CP to champ her. The tactic was sound though. icon_e_smile.gif

My plan was to save the 720 CP, which I already did, I have 790CPs saved right now. Then I will start opening classics (when Carol goes in this Thursday I will start) while I save the 550k iso I need to champ a maxed 5 (I just have 100k iso right now). Hopefully in this time I will get 100-200 CPs more, and If I am very lucky I might pull one of the two covers I need for GG with those. If I don't then I will probably buy the cover, but we will see, I might change my mind (my current pulling streak was very bad before I started hoarding, so I am not holding my breath for pulling the cover or any other 5).

And we thought 720CP was crazy for a 5 cover, Devs showed us how wrong we were icon_razz.gif
  • broll
    Options
    Update: My Peggy Blue has less than 24 hours left and she's still only 2/4/5 so I'll roster the blue as a dup for the extra ISO trick (assuming that still works after they modified the level up buttons)

I have 6.5 days on the Ice Man Blue, 0/5/4
    I have 11.5 days on both Thor Blues, 0/5/5

Still pretty unlikely, but maybe I've been a good enough boy and RNGsus will shine gifts upon me. Not holding my breath though.
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Now I read this and feel guilty about complaining about my 2 for 26 5* pull icon_lol.gif
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    broll wrote:
    Update: My Peggy Blue has less than 24 hours left and she's still only 2/4/5 so I'll roster the blue as a dup for the extra ISO trick (assuming that still works after they modified the level up buttons)

Still pretty unlikely, but maybe I've been a good enough boy and RNGsus will shine gifts upon me. Not holding my breath though.
    Did you notice that Peggy Yellow is the 900 point level in the current PvP?
    Any chance you can make a run at that in time? The Black Vortex can be difficult if you do not have the boosted characters. GL!
  • broll
    Options
    Rick OShay wrote:
    broll wrote:

Did you notice that Peggy Yellow is the 900 point level in the current PvP?
    Any chance you can make a run at that in time? The Black Vortex can be difficult if you do not have the boosted characters. GL!

I did notice and try that, but I'm not optimistic. In the past I've never managed to get past 600. Plus none of the 4* I champed are boosted. Still have like 14 hours left but I'm not expecting to hit 900.