Option to exclude 5-stars from PvE

DesertTortoise
DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
I could almost write an entire essay on why this would be embraced by the community, but to make it short I think it'd be a great idea if after selecting your SCL and slice on a PvE event you'd have the option of excluding your 5-star characters for that particular event.

This would eliminate the following problems:
  • Newer players drawing a 3 or 4-star early doesn't really ruin their PvE scaling significantly the way a 5-star does.
  • Newer rosters who draw a 5-star can decide for themselves if an undercovered 5-star is worth the scaling hit or not for that particular event
  • This eliminates requiring people to have to decide between softcapping their 5-stars as they enter the 4 to 5-star transition. I doubt that's a decision the game really wants to force people to make.
  • Since 5-stars are never required, it wouldn't affect a player's ability to hit progression by opting out of using them

It may be a bit contrived, but I really don't see any downside to it. If a player with level 450 5-stars sees an event they'd rather use boosted 4-stars for, I think that's a decision for them to make.

If I'm missing something let me know. More than happy to look at this suggestion critically from a perspective I may not be considering.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would never use my fivestars if this became a thing. I'd have lots more fun playing, too.
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2017
    The level differences from 1* - 4* are ok, but the jump to 5* is just insane.

001 -> 15 -> 40 -> 70 -> 255
    050 -> 94 -> 166 -> 270 -> 450
    050 -> 144 -> 266 -> 370 -> 550

Beginning Level of ~150 for 5* would have been more logical.

And make few characters like Phoenix and similiar powers like Galactus, Apocalypse and others near gods should be even more rare/powerful.

Some say again and again, the 1-5 before * it is only about rarity and not about power level, but this is not true. With the rarity, power increases strongly.

I also would prefer to see 2* to get the same amount of champion levels. +100 and not +50.

I think it would be cool if in PVE and PVP it would be to choose between lowclass (1-2*), low midclasss (1-3*), high midclass (1-4*) and (1-5*) highclass. Or even more fine differences to choose.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be great if we could exclude all 5*s but one, as then we get the advantage of having a 5*, but without the terrible scaling.

I have been rocking out with OML/4*/4* or OML/4*/3* forever, and it's been a lot of fun. I'd hate to be stuck only using 4*s or worse... each match would then take forever.
  • DesertTortoise
    DesertTortoise Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    I would never use my fivestars if this became a thing. I'd have lots more fun playing, too.

Right, I think it's a choice worth offering because perhaps with a weak boosted 4-star list you'd opt for your 5-stars. On top of that, you'd have your 5-stars for PvP.

It seems strange that when players are moving up the ladder from 1-star to 4-star land you can pretty much level/champ as soon as you get the characters and covers you want. Might be a bit sub optimal in spots but you're always making your roster better for PvE and PvP simultaneously. Once you hit the 4 to 5-star transition, you're left with a choice: soft cap your 5-stars so your 4-stars are useful in PvE to manage scaling or champ your 5-stars to better your roster in PvP but confine yourself to a very limited roster in PvE along with a tough scaling challenge.
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    I'm luckily far away from champed 4* and getting 5* in my roster.

But I think I will absolutely get all 5* on 13 covers and save Iso-8 until I can champ them all...

And it should no problem to bring 5* till level 370, if there are already few fully champed 4*'s in the roster or not?