The value of defense

Options
2»

Comments

• Shields replace defense.

The better your shield tactics, the less necessary defense is. The less you use shields (or none at all) the more defense becomes important.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    Jeremychen wrote:
    There's also the annoying OBW/hood/m.storm combo where you die by endless cascades and not having any ap to use.

Is that actually working for anyone?

I'd probably seek out that team. Pack a few damage boosts I have 30, put storm in front and sit back. Especially with a Patch team. Storm will die 6-8 turns to tiles, then how they win? No damage dealing. They can collect any AP but then what? If patch taking most colors I fail to see possibility to be under full health for more than 2 turns ever.

I'm sure it works decently enough. I know I've retreated out of a couple of OBW/M Storm fights when it gets to something ridiculous like I have zero total AP and they have 10+ in every color. Just not worth the time...

I misread the original for cstorm really, but it stands for mstorm too -- she is indeed more danger in general bu goes down even faster.

Are you sure you retreated from OBW/M Storm with Hood? Not with Thor or ares or Wolvie or whatever guy than can deal acutalat damage? I too stumbled on hard time with those once in a while. But the reason was exactly that, a few turns in while I concentrated effort on mstorm I was looking at full AP stores and incoming hammers or slashes or other nasty stuff with thousands of damage each, many on each of my members.

This team is restricted to tile damage and have some low-damage black as the only thing. Even with long cascades it's hardly feasible to go for too much of it.

A properly cycling M Storm/OBW combo is undefeatable at a certain point. OBW just heals up your match-3 damage while M Storm cascades you to death and replenishes their AP.
  • jozier wrote:
    A properly cycling M Storm/OBW combo is undefeatable at a certain point. OBW just heals up your match-3 damage while M Storm cascades you to death and replenishes their AP.

And the AI is well known for properly cycling abilities... NOT. AAMOF it can't do it even in theory being restricted to 1 ability use per turn so you get a breather.
  • I have also noticed that i get the highest frequency of DEF wins when i have Spidey and Punisher and "Choose a Character" on my squad.

I think this team is most successful on DEF mainly because Spidey and Punisher don't fight for colors and their abilities are low cost, effective, and very easy for the AI to use properly.

marc
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Shields replace defense.

The better your shield tactics, the less necessary defense is. The less you use shields (or none at all) the more defense becomes important.

This. Since you can theoretically chain shields indefinitely and never lose any points, defense should be thought of mainly as a HP saving mechanism: you're going to be spending far less HP on defense with a good defensive team.
  • This. Since you can theoretically chain shields indefinitely and never lose any points, defense should be thought of mainly as a HP saving mechanism: you're going to be spending far less HP on defense with a good defensive team.

Except that you can't ho very high early on. So if you shield up then and never play more you'll get overclimbed. And if you play, you are exposed. And defense counts.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    jozier wrote:

And the AI is well known for properly cycling abilities... NOT. AAMOF it can't do it even in theory being restricted to 1 ability use per turn so you get a breather.

It cycles M Storm and OBW quite easily. Also I don't know where you got the idea that the AI can only cast one ability per turn.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    jozier wrote:

It cycles M Storm and OBW quite easily. Also I don't know where you got the idea that the AI can only cast one ability per turn.

I think he meant each ability 1 time per turn. The only thing that kept AI controlled Rag from **** everyone is that he would only use each red and green once per turn. This is of course reset when the AI gets a match 5 and gets a free turn resetting it.
  • Clint wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    jozier wrote:

I think he meant each ability 1 time per turn. The only thing that kept AI controlled Rag from tinykittying everyone is that he would only use each red and green once per turn. This is of course reset when the AI gets a match 5 and gets a free turn resetting it.

Yeah I know that much. Doesn't stop an M Storm/OBW combo from running Mistress into Lightning Strike into Anti-Grav over and over
  • @WalkYourPath

That LazyThor/Black Panther team was quite daunting to go up against. Almost makes me want to use Spidey. A few times Thor was at 10 yellow and almost got me. Who do you think the ideal 3rd would be, if you could choose?
  • @WalkYourPath

That LazyThor/Black Panther team was quite daunting to go up against. Almost makes me want to use Spidey. A few times Thor was at 10 yellow and almost got me. Who do you think the ideal 3rd would be, if you could choose?

That's a tough one, but I can think of a few good options.

1. Hood - I ran BP/LT with him in Unholy Outlaw and got a fair number of wins on D. By the time you can match damage him down, LT is usually spun up for a nuke or two. Nicely balanced for offense and defense. My Hood is only in the 70s, or I'd run this more often. There's some conflict between Hood's/BP's black, but since most people wear down Hood first it's not that much of a problem. Once he's taken out BP will exact revenge.

2. Psylocke - Gives you two useful outlets for black to meet the needs of the situation. If black is sparse, I'll use hers and chop away - if plentiful, save up for Rage instead. either one getting launched on D is fine by me; I just don't want a conflict with Thor's green, which this team avoids. Her red is a much better use of AP than Thor's, too. Throw in her strike tiles and you've got a solid crew. I've gotten to play with this group quite a bit and really like it.

3. Hulk - Wall of health for massive lulz. Down the stretch of an elite tourney I would run that combo 100% of the time.