Question(s) about PvP

Options
Unknown
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
So I participated in my first PvP over the weekend in the *** Iron Man Mk 40, and while I think I did modestly well (topped out at the 900 point reward mark) I was confused about some issues:

1. What "team" is actually up for opponents to battle. For example, for this tournament, I considered my 40+ level *** Iron Man, my 30+ level Daken and my ** Captain America my "A Team". However, sometimes to make some quick points I would slum with my **** Wolverine and ** Thor and use the provided *** Iron Man. What team would opponents see when they would challenge me? My "best team" or the team I last used?

2. I noticed that some teams with a huge rating compared to mine, and had huge bruiser characters, but offered only a pittance in terms of a point reward. How is the points reward calculated?

Thanks in advance icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• Your last team you won with is considered 'your team'.

The points you earn are based on what the total points the opponent currently has (the number in the upper left hand corner).

So, if you are sitting at 400 points and battle an opponent that has 600, you will receive 30+ points. If you are sitting at 400 points and battle and opponent that has 100, you will likely receive about 10-13.
  • The team you last used is your defense team. People retaliate against the team you used to attack them.

You probably retreated a few times. Rewards go down when you retreat once or twice.
  • For my defense team, if one or two of my characters are downed in the battle, but I still win, do they appear on defense? Or is that what results in the one- or two- character teams I occasionally see in PvP?
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    For my defense team, if one or two of my characters are downed in the battle, but I still win, do they appear on defense? Or is that what results in the one- or two- character teams I occasionally see in PvP?

Your defence team is always at full HP on first attack attempt.
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    For my defense team, if one or two of my characters are downed in the battle, but I still win, do they appear on defense? Or is that what results in the one- or two- character teams I occasionally see in PvP?

Your defense team always appears at full health except for retry battles (their health is remembered from the previous fight in that case).

You are probably seeing the seed teams at the start of a pvp event. These are not people's teams, which is why they are so easy to beat. The only other time you'll see a smaller team is if someone does not have enough legal covers for the tournament. This comes up on weeks there are one star tournaments or similar restrictions.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is the defense team changed when you start another fight, or when you win it?
  • Spoit wrote:
    Is the defense team changed when you start another fight, or when you win it?

My real answer is I don't know. However, I can make some conjecture based on a logical model I would use if I were creating this game. When you get a match, that information is stored locally until you skip or fight. When you win or lose a fight you need to update the server with your new rating so this would be a logical time to update your defense team as well. I could be wrong but my assumption is it updates at the conclusion and not the start.
  • IceIX posted somewhere that he would start a match and then immediately yield in order to push his A Team back to defense after using his B Team. So I think Ranzera has it right, it doesn't take effect until a round concludes.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    fatcatfan wrote:
    IceIX posted somewhere that he would start a match and then immediately yield in order to push his A Team back to defense after using his B Team. So I think Ranzera has it right, it doesn't take effect until a round concludes.
    Correct.
  • I decided to move my questions over here, since there was already a PVP thread started.
    New question! I'm wondering why, when I look at Top Ranked on my phone, do I not see the names of the people I've fought? I can fight somebody just a few points above or below me, so they should be right by me on the list but they're not. Am I misunderstanding how that list works?

Copy/pasting the pertinent stuff from the thread I started yesterday, so it's all in one place. Hope that's all right.
    Everly wrote:
    pumkin wrote:
    1) When you're attacked by another player, which of your characters will be in the match? Is it your highest level characters every time? What if you have 5 characters all the same level, how are they selected? Is there a way to see/know who's showing up in your defensive team?
    The last three characters that you used in that tournament are what is used by the AI when you are attacked.
    pumkin wrote:
    2) In themed tournaments, if I have a high level Thor, is that guy automatically in my party instead of the newbie lvl 6 guest Thor?
    No it isn't automatic, so be careful that you don't accidentally go into a battle with the Level 6 Thor and leave your Level 70+ Thor on the bench. Side note, when you realize that you did that, if you retreat all of your characters take damage. So you depending on what you are up against, you may want to try to get through it with what you have.
    pumkin wrote:
    3) What is the point of retaliation? Is it just to gain some sense of revenge for being beaten? Or do you get more points for a retaliation than you would for a regular match? Does the other guy lose points if you beat him in a retaliation? Can you retaliate a retaliation? I swear I've seen some of the same names over and over.
    From what I can see there is no difference in the point system if you are retaliating. It does seem to play on the human desire to pay back injury or injury. But take some time to look. The person may be much lower than you in the tournament. So he attacks you and gets 40 points, you attack him and get 15. You can continue to battle back and forth, but the person on the lower end of the leader board will end up with more bang for his buck. I usually only retaliate if I can get 35+ for doing so.
  • pumkin wrote:
    I decided to move my questions over here, since there was already a PVP thread started.
    New question! I'm wondering why, when I look at Top Ranked on my phone, do I not see the names of the people I've fought? I can fight somebody just a few points above or below me, so they should be right by me on the list but they're not. Am I misunderstanding how that list works?

Copy/pasting the pertinent stuff from the thread I started yesterday, so it's all in one place. Hope that's all right.
    Everly wrote:
    pumkin wrote:
    1) When you're attacked by another player, which of your characters will be in the match? Is it your highest level characters every time? What if you have 5 characters all the same level, how are they selected? Is there a way to see/know who's showing up in your defensive team?
    The last three characters that you used in that tournament are what is used by the AI when you are attacked.
    pumkin wrote:
    2) In themed tournaments, if I have a high level Thor, is that guy automatically in my party instead of the newbie lvl 6 guest Thor?
    No it isn't automatic, so be careful that you don't accidentally go into a battle with the Level 6 Thor and leave your Level 70+ Thor on the bench. Side note, when you realize that you did that, if you retreat all of your characters take damage. So you depending on what you are up against, you may want to try to get through it with what you have.
    pumkin wrote:
    3) What is the point of retaliation? Is it just to gain some sense of revenge for being beaten? Or do you get more points for a retaliation than you would for a regular match? Does the other guy lose points if you beat him in a retaliation? Can you retaliate a retaliation? I swear I've seen some of the same names over and over.
    From what I can see there is no difference in the point system if you are retaliating. It does seem to play on the human desire to pay back injury or injury. But take some time to look. The person may be much lower than you in the tournament. So he attacks you and gets 40 points, you attack him and get 15. You can continue to battle back and forth, but the person on the lower end of the leader board will end up with more bang for his buck. I usually only retaliate if I can get 35+ for doing so.

Well, in this Tournament, we are in brackets of 200. So you can fight anyone who plays the game, but you are competing against the 200 people in your bracket. There have been other sizes as well like 500 person brackets. There are also unbracketed tournaments like shield training that do have everyone in them.