Put more Puzzle in my Quest

bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
I wanted to give the devs some suggestions on how they could make the game more fun, because most of the time I feel like playing is a chore of the day (gotta get ISO to level up those characters). The funnest times I've had playing the game is when I've discovered a new team combination that works well and start using them whenever possible. Other fun times are when new PVE events are introduced with new villains and powers, which gives variety and forces me to think up new teams. That brings me to my "fun" game suggestions:

1. More villain variety! - I'm tired of playing the same Dark Avengers and Hammer agents a hundred times a day. Remake/Redo the existing PVE events to use different villains. I don't care if it doesn't make sense in the story....I think most of us ignore the story line anyway. I would rather have fewer battles that require thinking instead of many mindless battles. We have strong rosters, we can take on some clever villain teams, like the recent Carnage and Doc Ock combo. Some teams may seem unfair (like 2*Wolvie with 2 Red Feeders), but we should be able to figure out that "puzzle" and construct a team to efficiently beat it.

2. More opportunities to use your entire roster - DDQ is a great example of many things: it has daily villain variety, no placement rewards, no scaling, required characters from 3 tiers, great prizes, 1 mission nodes and no boosted characters (which means your team combinations are not based on the boosted list). DDQ has probably kept a lot of us still playing. So, my suggestion is to make a 4* version of DDQ (or modify PVE to be more like DDQ). It would have a required 4* character with a 4* cover reward; it could be tougher than normal DDQ but also have better prizes. It could have 10 x 1 mission nodes with a Legendary token prize at the end if you can beat the boss level.

3. True PVP gameplay - a new mode in the game where you play real players and have a turn time limit. Since you risk having 3 of your characters downed, the prize should be very, very good. You simply go into a queue of available players and the game algorithm matches you up with another similar player. You choose your team in advance before seeing your opponent (otherwise one player would have an advantage by choosing the perfect counter team). Some kind of handicap should be made for the player that goes first, since that's an advantage. If there's a way to take advantage of the system, you build in safeguards against it.

Comments

• an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    ~~Those and more in: MPQ The Sequel!~~

For now let's stick to old an' true sucking money from The Whales by biweekly "New Character" releases? icon_e_wink.gif
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler wrote:
    3. True PVP gameplay

This gets brought up a lot and it's not a good idea for a few reasons. For me the big one is that I've played a couple of junky mobile games that had this, and 99% of the time you end up waiting 30 seconds for the AI to automatically make the other guy's move, because people apparently just load up a match and then close their phones non-effing-stop. Not to mention you'd get disconnects, ragequits, people deliberately trolling...ugh. Just no.

I'm all for more villains and more modes though. Still waiting for Endless Wave Mode.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    bbigler wrote:
    I would rather have fewer battles that require thinking instead of many mindless battles.

Thats the thing, as long as we're set at 2 clears for 4* progression, 4 clears for CP, and 6 for XP, I don't want harder missions. I think more villains should be added in general, since it seems they are running low on non xmen heros to add.

I'm all for more non competitive pve and a 4* ddq.

No thanks on real pvp. I hate when the AI lucks into a good move, I would be pretty frustrated if the opponent plays well. I am used to winning almost every match, usually with little damage taken. Real pvp would be closer to a 50-50 game that might go down to the wire more often. I like to play mpq without a timer on each move.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler wrote:
    True PVP gameplay
    Yeah... no. Even if it's an entirely different mode than current PVP. AI turns can already take too long. I'm not going to sit around waiting for a real player trying to figure out the best match - timer or not.
  • bbigler
    Jarvind wrote:
    bbigler wrote:
    3. True PVP gameplay

This gets brought up a lot and it's not a good idea for a few reasons. For me the big one is that I've played a couple of junky mobile games that had this, and 99% of the time you end up waiting 30 seconds for the AI to automatically make the other guy's move, because people apparently just load up a match and then close their phones non-effing-stop. Not to mention you'd get disconnects, ragequits, people deliberately trolling...ugh. Just no.

I'm all for more villains and more modes though. Still waiting for Endless Wave Mode.

I played the mobile Scrabble game that had true PVP mode and it worked just fine, but it's slower than I want for this game. I can understand that waiting 30 seconds per turn is extremely annoying, but if the prize is good enough, you can tough it out, plus a good prize will encourage people not to walk away.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler wrote:
    True PVP gameplay

I might be wrong but I think the Console version has true PVP
  • bbigler
    Dormammu wrote:
    bbigler wrote:
    True PVP gameplay
    Yeah... no. Even if it's an entirely different mode than current PVP. AI turns can already take too long. I'm not going to sit around waiting for a real player trying to figure out the best match - timer or not.

What if the reward for the match is 7 CP for the winner and 3 CP for the loser? (retreating gives no prize)
  • vaportrail
    vaportrail Posts: 64 Match Maker
    I got MPQ on PS4 when it originally came out, noone was playing it back then, and I really doubt you could find anyone now. I never got a match to happen, though I only tried a few times and now my ps4 is disconnected and sitting on a shelf somewhere. I vaguely remember starting a match, maybe once.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    bbigler wrote:
    Dormammu wrote:
    bbigler wrote:
    True PVP gameplay

What if the reward for the match is 7 CP for the winner and 3 CP for the loser? (retreating gives no prize)

I'd throw 1* teams out all day long.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    bbigler wrote:
    1. More villain variety! - I'm tired of playing the same Dark Avengers and Hammer agents a hundred times a day. Remake/Redo the existing PVE events to use different villains. I don't care if it doesn't make sense in the story....I think most of us ignore the story line anyway. I would rather have fewer battles that require thinking instead of many mindless battles.
    I'm with you so far...
    bbigler wrote:
    We have strong rosters, we can take on some clever villain teams, like the recent Carnage and Doc Ock combo. Some teams may seem unfair (like 2*Wolvie with 2 Red Feeders), but we should be able to figure out that "puzzle" and construct a team to efficiently beat it.
    Ok you lost me here. The carnage/doc oc team was terrible. Wolverine with 2 red feeders is terrible. I am ALL for more "puzzle"-y things in the game. But to me, stacking the deck against you != more puzzling. Making teams designed to be unfair only makes me mad.
    bbigler wrote:
    2. More opportunities to use your entire roster - DDQ is a great example of many things: it has daily villain variety, no placement rewards, no scaling, required characters from 3 tiers, great prizes, 1 mission nodes and no boosted characters (which means your team combinations are not based on the boosted list). DDQ has probably kept a lot of us still playing. So, my suggestion is to make a 4* version of DDQ (or modify PVE to be more like DDQ). It would have a required 4* character with a 4* cover reward; it could be tougher than normal DDQ but also have better prizes. It could have 10 x 1 mission nodes with a Legendary token prize at the end if you can beat the boss level.

This is a great idea that I have heard on the forums before. Many of us have over 100 characters, and I only use maybe 10 of those characters on most occasions. Sure, boosting random characters lets me use them against trivial nodes and such, but there's no real benefit to use over 90% of my roster except as cannon fodder to save future health packs.
    bbigler wrote:
    3. True PVP gameplay - a new mode in the game where you play real players and have a turn time limit. Since you risk having 3 of your characters downed, the prize should be very, very good. You simply go into a queue of available players and the game algorithm matches you up with another similar player. You choose your team in advance before seeing your opponent (otherwise one player would have an advantage by choosing the perfect counter team). Some kind of handicap should be made for the player that goes first, since that's an advantage. If there's a way to take advantage of the system, you build in safeguards against it.

I have to say this game would slow down massively for this to happen, at least on smart phones. I know that I have tried to play games in this manner that operate extremely slowly, especially just waiting to find a match to play. I may be wrong, but I believe this would be a bad idea. Also, it would encourage people to also play a ton more hours. Maybe the devs want this, but I am constantly searching for more ways to lessen my time in this game.

I am all for changes to make the gameplay and everyday experiences more fresh and fun. I like where you are thinking, even if I disagree with some of the ideas.