something is amiss...

Crnch73
Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
edited February 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
so I have posted something similar to this in the past, but I never got an answer that made sense. It happened again, so I was hoping someone might know what is up:

In the Riri PVP, I faced substantially easier competition than normal. I know that, since she is required and I have put no ISO into her, it brings down my overall level. However, this was also my first event where I had 2 champ 4* that were boosted. The team I used was:

4 Thor, boosted to 367
Ant man, boosted to 367
Riri, at 167 (I believe?)

This averages to around 300. Normally, I have no boosted 4* that are high level, so I my highest are usually boosted 3* champs. Normally, I run a team that is like:

287 required 3*, boosted
271, ice man not boosted
287, random 3*, boosted

Clearly, that averages out to be a lower number (~281). I know the overall number is also not drastically different. However, in the Riri PVP I had matches against very easy opponents with the 300 average team, whereas I usually have a lot of hard teams with the 281 average team. I have come to accept this as just the way the cookie crumbles, but my overly curious brain would like to at least know why. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because 4*s damage output is greater than the 3*s. Particularly that Thoress boosted. That coupled with almost no one having champed Riri yet means easier matches.
  • Crnch73
    revskip wrote:
    Because 4*s damage output is greater than the 3*s. Particularly that Thoress boosted. That coupled with almost no one having champed Riri yet means easier matches.

I don't mean "wow! that was easier!"... I mean the opponents are all unboosted 3* champs, so no one above level 190 or so.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, gotcha.

I had no boosted 4*s this week and saw plenty of 4*s that were boosted against me. That's weird that you didn't, maybe lucked into a good slice at the right time? What slice were you playing in and how far out from the finish? I have noticed that if I sign up for the PVP on the first day and shield up from there my MMR is slightly less elevated but I have always just chalked that up to the big hitters not jumping in until day 2.
  • Crnch73
    I had completely forgotten about the PVP, so I joined the last slice with about 6.5 hours left in it.

this just seems to happen to me frequently. New releases, which means the required character is under leveled, seem to always yield easier competition for me. It could be just coincidence or timing, so if there are no answers, no biggie. I was just curious what was really happening.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    most likely the only people who are playing at that time are people with really good rosters that you cannot even see and lower tier players who did not shield. If you started at 1.5 days left you would probably see lots of higher level 4* rosters who are climbing to shield or hopping
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Riri (like other new release characters) throws average levels off a lot more than you'd expect. A while back, the devs announced that they would take not just the character's level into account for scaling and average level calculations, but the number of covers. They never told us the math involved, but it sounds as if a level 167 character with only three levels counts as a lower level than one with level 167 and 10 covers, or all 13.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I found that PvP to be impossible. That was the hardest PvP I've faced in a long time. Not because of difficult matches, but because I couldn't break past 800 points. I hit 800 and was caught in a perpetual win/loss loop. I'd win 40 points and lose 50. Or I'd get two wins in a row and lose 98. I was bouncing up and down the 700 point mark for some time before I just shielded and gave up. It wasn't even a different time either, I did my final run 8 hours before the event end like I always do.

I reckon Riri on defense messed up my Thor. Either that or changing Ant Man for unboosted IM40 was a significant enough change to alter my defense team.

Golly, it sure would be swell if we could see what our defensive team actually was.
  • Crnch73
    I found that PvP to be impossible. That was the hardest PvP I've faced in a long time. Not because of difficult matches, but because I couldn't break past 800 points. I hit 800 and was caught in a perpetual win/loss loop. I'd win 40 points and lose 50. Or I'd get two wins in a row and lose 98. I was bouncing up and down the 700 point mark for some time before I just shielded and gave up. It wasn't even a different time either, I did my final run 8 hours before the event end like I always do.

I reckon Riri on defense messed up my Thor. Either that or changing Ant Man for unboosted IM40 was a significant enough change to alter my defense team.

Golly, it sure would be swell if we could see what our defensive team actually was.

sorry that happened to you, I know the feeling. You basically described my experience in every PVP ever. I normally just play to 575 or 650 and then give up because I never make it to 900 before getting destroyed on defense.

I actually had a very easy time with this PVP. Whether it was the underleveled and undercovered required character, or the timing of my slice, all of my offensive attacks were against really easy opponents. I never faced a team with more than one boosted 4* champ, I climbed to 600 points from zero in about an hour. For someone like me, that is not normal at all.
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    I also did really well in that PVP. Honestly, Thor was the problem. I started out with Thor/Prof X (my Ant-Man is underleveled) and I just took too long to finish matches. When I switched to Prof X/Wasp, I started tearing through the matches so long as I avoided any of them with Ant-Man. As soon as I got enough purple to hide, the match was over. Sprinted from 500 to 900 on two health packs.
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler

Hey People Listening To The Forums for FEEDBACK - When will this be a thing??? I use multiple combos in PvP and never am too sure if the game is just putting out the boosted toons or the actual lower level group I use to climb..

Please put this on... THE LIST (of jericho)
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chronicler wrote:
    I also did really well in that PVP. Honestly, Thor was the problem. I started out with Thor/Prof X (my Ant-Man is underleveled) and I just took too long to finish matches. When I switched to Prof X/Wasp, I started tearing through the matches so long as I avoided any of them with Ant-Man. As soon as I got enough purple to hide, the match was over. Sprinted from 500 to 900 on two health packs.

Had a match last night that took over ten minutes to resolve.
    Magneto was dead and they were down to a near full health Magneto and a long hidden Professor X with only 1400 health left.

I'd been saving up blue for Ant Man and finally had enough to do Grow. So I laid down the timer and fired off Grow thinking that even though there were protect tiles down, 23,000 damage would smash through them and kill Magneto.

He took 8000 damage. There were enough protect tiles boosted to block 15,000 damage. I know, in hindsight I'd have just left the countdown timer there to steal them all but I was so frustrated and bored by that point I thought it would just be over if I murdered their damage dealer. We were both just doing 1 damage to each other whatever we did.

By the end a lucky cascade cleared out *my* hidden tile and Professor X got stomped on and I lost. Total waste of time.