Proposal for solving classic 5* dilution

stupidweakbaby
stupidweakbaby Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
EDIT: Rewrote it some. Thanks for your feedback, alvinlal.

The main issue
As more 5* characters are released, older ones are pushed into the classic bucket and dilute the existing pool. If the 5* draw rate in classics remains at 15%, it will become less and less realistic for players to fully cover any of them.

Proposal
Create a new and more CP-expensive purchase with better 5* draw rates under the Legendary tab. Dynamically scale the draw rates as more 5* characters enter the pool. Gate the player's ability to use this by requiring a high-ish Shield Ranking (maybe level 70+ or something, I don't know)

Why is this a good idea?
It's easier to get CP nowadays and definitely easier for more seasoned players to gain it. The combination of reasonably higher prices and the prospect of better draw rates will keep them playing. A newer, less experienced player may be tempted to roster 5* characters faster. This can be controlled by requiring a high Shield Ranking to even have the option to make that purchase.

The high Shield Ranking requirement will (1) satisfy the older existing players by providing a sense of achievement/exclusivity, (2) prevent newer players from screwing themselves by attempting to jump from a 2* roster to 5*, and (3) it will encourage people in general to buy more. Newer players can whale as much as they want to buy their way to shield level 9000 and others might find it more reasonable to drop money for classics even we get to the point of having twenty 5* characters.

ok
Happy players! More revenue, more business growth and continuity!

Comments

• illusionist_KA
    illusionist_KA Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    I have mixed feelings about this. I can't support 75% drop rate for a 5*. That's just crazy. Without knowing what your roster looks like. You can't always play with 5* star teams. Things will get out of control really quick.
    1) 5* scaling, are the rest of your roster ready to handle PVE scaling?
    2) Are you ready to be put with the big boys of the 5* tier?
    3) Are you prepared to see identical teams and knowing that everyone out there are now going to do what you want?
    4) Where is the ISO?

I believe in that you want to build a balanced team, from 3* to 5*. There is no ISO shortage. The game has been giving the correct amount gradually or as needed. Again. if there is too much iso, you will see identical teams all over the place. People who play PVP will be complaining even more about scaling and MMR. Plus, you don't need to put iso into everyone, save it for what you need and rest will get it when the time is right.

For CP usage, i suggested something awhile back, but nothing came out of it.
    50cp is crazy, however this may work better.
    25 CP - latest three 5* , latest 4* up to 1.5 years old
    20 CP - Older 5* , older 4* older than 1.5 years old
    15 CP - 4* only (all)

They have the capability to remove certain characters from the packs. When i started playing, each pack only had certain covers available. They made announcement around season 10, about adding all to all the packs. During the seasons, they would remove certain covers so they could work on them. So they would get pulled out of rotation. That's what they need to do. Pull characters out of rotation again.
  • stupidweakbaby
    stupidweakbaby Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    edit:

alvinlal, thanks for posting your thoughtful response. This has given me some more things to think about and I've edited my main post.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    alvinlal wrote:
    For CP usage, i suggested something awhile back, but nothing came out of it.
    50cp is crazy, however this may work better.
    25 CP - latest three 5* , latest 4* up to 1.5 years old
    20 CP - Older 5* , older 4* older than 1.5 years old
    15 CP - 4* only (all)

They have the capability to remove certain characters from the packs. When i started playing, each pack only had certain covers available. They made announcement around season 10, about adding all to all the packs. During the seasons, they would remove certain covers so they could work on them. So they would get pulled out of rotation. That's what they need to do. Pull characters out of rotation again.

I don't like these suggestions that come up every so often that link older 4*'s with older 5*'s in any altered packs, most people trying to get usable 5*'s are also those who need to improve their 4*'s.

A simpler solution would just be generations or seasons or something of 5*'s with each pack only having three 5* characters, you may not get an ideal mix of the ones you wanted to target, but at least you could get your main target and then move onto another eventually.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I've thought about whether the current system can be kept in place, but with the addition of a system whereby a player can designate a single cover (color-specific, too) that's their "goal" cover, and the odds will be significantly increased towards that cover until it's obtained. So for a 4*, say... if there's a 90% chance to get a 4* cover in a classic legendary, there would now be (if a goal cover is selected) a 10% chance to get that cover, an 80% chance to get one of the other 4* covers, and a 10% chance for a 5*. And there'd be a similar adjustment for 5* covers -- boost the odds of that 5* to the same as the odds for one of the covers in the latest legendaries, 5%, with a 5% chance of obtaining any of the other legendary 5* covers. Rinse, lather, repeat. Maybe put a cooldown on it -- only once choice a week, or one a month, or whatever -- if you're worried about handing out too many covers.

Not perfect, but an improvement.