Marvel Dice Game: Any Takers?

Options
Unknown
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
Wandering the web waiting for the latest event to end, I caught a vid on one of my fave tabletop websites.

Apparently, WizKids (HeroClix, Mage Knight, Quarriors) is launching a Marvel Dice Building game at the end of the month. It is going to borrow some of the Quarriors mechanics, but bring alot of unique gameplay as well.

If I caught you by surprize, check it out on the BoardGameGeek website(b.k.a BGG), watch a glowing early-access review on the Dice Tower channel, or, if you want a comprehensive rules overview AND a sample game, search on YouTube for the channel "Watch it Played", which received special promotional consideration from the guys at WizKids.

Reply with your thoughts.

Comments

• Here are 3 quick reasons you might be interested in the Marvel Dice Game:

1) Starter set has decent helpings of two of my fave groups: X-'Men' and Avengers.

2) Manufacterer's suggested retail price of dice booster packs: 99 cents.

3) One Word: Deadpool
  • the quality of those gum-made miniatures makes it not worth considering.

once they start making miniatures in proper plastic / resin / even metal and they drop pre-painting, they might actually attract older tabletop players.
  • That cheap cash-in minis game is not what I was referring to. This game is all-new, using cards and dice to represent the Marvel characters.

That mini thing was a panic-product, made, I believe, shortly after WizKids had to ch. 11 to restructure their company.

To help, here are some appropriate links below.

WizKids Site announcement

GLOWING Dice Tower review feat. Tom Vassel!

How to play vid and Sample 'training' game vid on YouTube channel "Watch it Played".

Lastly, the Board Game Geek entry at BGG.

That should help!
  • I need to get some new friends that can play this with me lol
  • Just to let everyone know:

The big shipping giant you may have heard of(Starts with an A, smiles alot) has STOPPED taking orders for the Marvel Dice Masters game. They list it as "out of stock" & "we don't know when or if we'll get more".

If you have not made arrangements yet, you might want to talk to your Friendly Local Game Shop. It's beginning to feel like this could be this year's Netrunner... icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • Those die are pretty poor quality from what I see on the pics. Paint makes them unreliable - if someone would enter the Warhammer40.000 tournament with die of such quality, I think we wouldn't allow them.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If this was online I'd play in a heartbeat
  • Puritas wrote:
    If this was online I'd play in a heartbeat

Apparently, WizKids is putting their previous dice-darling Quarriors on iOS sometime this year. Based on that info, saying that such a move for Marvel DM is impossible seems quite foolish.

Also, launch is next week! icon_mrgreen.gif squeee icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Man oh man oh man!

Marvel Dice Masters releases TOMORROW! Oof, tomorrow is going to be a slog at work... icon_e_sad.gif

but if I woke up and it was suddenly Wednesday.... icon_eek.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_mrgreen.gif !

Unfortunately, RL doesn't come with a skip function.... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • As soon as I get some more games in, expect a review here, or as a new topic(only have 3 games in so far).

Also....
    IHatePVP wrote:

If you have not made arrangements yet, you might want to talk to your Friendly Local Game Shop. It's beginning to feel like this could be this year's Netrunner... icon_e_ugeek.gif

...I am sorry to report I only have three words to say on that particular bit of prophecy:

MANUFACTURER SELL-OUT.

icon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    IHatePVP wrote:
    As soon as I get some more games in, expect a review here, or as a new topic(only have 3 games in so far).

Also....
    IHatePVP wrote:

...I am sorry to report I only have three words to say on that particular bit of prophecy:

MANUFACTURER SELL-OUT.

icon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gif

I work at a gamestore and can confirm, they did not do a large enough print run for this game, we sold out almost instantly, went to order more and could only get 2 more boxes and 1 core, and those sold out the day we got them. I was kind of interested in this one myself, too bad.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I am interested in this and would love some, but I'm pretty sure I'm not doing blind purchase collectability ever again.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    So the game I touted here for around a month released. I played some matches, made some team builds, theorized some single-player modes, but none of that matters. If you cared enough to look, far more established reviewers have already weighed in on the game system and have (overall) given their approval. But what’s Joe Schmoe’s opinion?
    Here is one of those opinions, in a quasi-famous format.

The Good:
    -It must be said: anyone expecting the Marvel expansion of Quarriors is going to be getting a Power Bolt in the back of the head. Quarriors was largely chided for its runaway-friendly mechanics. MDM has catch-up mechanics to ensure one bad turn doesn’t ruin your entire play session.
    -You want to play a Thor-focused deck? Done. Play a Mutants-only affair? Easy. An all fire-based team? Well within the realm of possibility. Even an all-villain team is not only possible but encouraged by certain character abilities.
    -Ninety-nine cents. Not since the Golden Age of Collectable Card Games has a more wallet-friendly booster price been available. Combined with MDM’s ‘only one card needed’ game mechanic makes playing on a shoestring budget entirely possible.
    -With exceptions to follow, WizKids is planning full Organized Play support. And that’s all us gamers want: rewards for our team-tweaking and tabletop-battling efforts.

The Bad:
    -It uses the Collectable model. And MDM wasn’t made ten years ago. Four rarity tiers do exist. And the top-tier rarity is(apparently) at a ‘one-per-box...or less’ frequency level.
    -Good-point number two was all about the games possibilities. But some things are sadly not(yet) possible. Fantastic 4 team? Sorry, Invisible Woman’s absent. Fan of the “Brotherhood of Mutants”? Only Mags is accounted for. Wanna field some Dark Avengers? No Sentry, Bullseye, or Daken here for your team.
    -Lastly, without some “Star Wars: Balance of the Force”-like supplement product, MDM is strictly a 2-player affair, based on both the game’s mechanical design AND its included ruleset.

The Ugly:
    -The elephant in the room: This product was SEVERELY underproduced. Without surrendering to the Pirates of Amazone-Bay, you just are not going to get ahold of a Starter Set, until the manufacturer resupply happens....sometime next month.
    -Also unfortunately, the choice of booster display was ill-made, as the pack you purchase without a damaged character card does not exist. Certainly a concern for anyone who thought there was going to be any sort of 'Collectability' to this Collectable Dice Game.
    -Lastly, unlike the later sets of it’s big brother Quarriors, the Starter Set box is NOT a storage solution to any of the booster packs you choose to purchase in the future. The dice’s accommodations when not in use are solely the responsibility of the purchaser. (Edit: a ‘set-up box’ storage solution with (apparently?) some exclusive character cards has been announced. Yay?)

In Conclusion, The release of MDM is going to be quite the gametable conversation piece for quite some time. But, the Ultimate Question still remains; should you get this game? The answer lies in who, you, the reader are. If you already have your Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers Vs. X-Men Starter Set, you already know the answer that applies to you. If you do not already have your starter set, the unfortunate answer is “not now”. The undersupply is just far too much of a barrier to entry to pick up this game right now. It will, however, be worth your time once the resupplies arrive from the other side of the planet. (EDIT: or the announced release of the next “stand-alone” expansion starter set, Uncanny X-Men; currently slated for {EDIT:apparently delayed until 22 OCT} this year.) Once that happens, do give it a look.
  • I play marvel dice masters and enjoy it. Its got a few kinks to be worked out with rules but no new game like this is perfect.
  • IReallyHatePVP
    Options
    *bump*

also to make easier finding for this profile.

icon_idea.gif