Discard vs. Destroy

zolesz
zolesz Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
Hi all,

For some it may be obvious, but I wonder how discard is supposed to work differently than destroy.
Let's check the following examples, with a Lilly 1 deck:

EXAMPLE 1:

Round x:
My Scrapheap Scrounger gets killed on the board

Round x+1, my hand is the following:

- Behold the Beyond (or any card which discards e.g. my last 2 cards in hand)
- Some madness card, filled with ~10 mana
- Despoiler of Souls
- Prized Amalgam

Round x+2:
I play Behold the Beyond and my whole hand gets discarded, except of the madness card.
Prized Amalgam gets discarded first. => Should it be considered as destroyed, should therefore Scrapheap Scrounger return to the board?
Despoiler of Souls gets discarded next => Should it be considered as destroyed, should therefore my madness card lose 3 mana and put Despoiler of Souls on the board?

EXAMPLE 2:

Round x:
I discard 3 creatures from my hand.

Round x+1:
I use Lilly 1's 3rd ability. => Should the creatures discarded in the previous round show up on the battlefield?

Thanks for any explanation!

Comments

• Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    When a card gets discarded it becomes destroyed - i.e. goes to the graveyard.
  • zolesz
    Nitymp wrote:
    When a card gets discarded it becomes destroyed - i.e. goes to the graveyard.

OK, so it means:

If my hand is like this:
    - madness card with more than 3 mana
    - Despoiler of Souls
    - Scrapheap Scrounger

And I discard my hand, then
    1. Scrapheap gets destroyed
    2. Despoiler gets destroyed, takes 3 mana from the madness card and ends up in the battlefield
    3. Since both Scrapheap and Despoiler were destroyed, Scrapheap should appear on the battlefield.
    Do I get it right?
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Discarding a creature card does not trigger any on-destruction effects though. Despoiler won't automatically put itself on the battlefield when discarded and Scrounger won't pop up because a creature card is discarded. BUT they will land in your Graveyard, so you can resurrect them with spells/skills and their in-graveyard abilities will work normally. So let's say you discard the Scrounger then cast the Despoiler. When the Despoiler dies, the previously discarded Scrounger will pop into the battlefield.
  • zolesz
    Alve wrote:
    Discarding a creature card does not trigger any on-destruction effects though. Despoiler won't automatically put itself on the battlefield when discarded and Scrounger won't pop up because a creature card is discarded. BUT they will land in your Graveyard, so you can resurrect them with spells/skills and their in-graveyard abilities will work normally. So let's say you discard the Scrounger then cast the Despoiler. When the Despoiler dies, the previously discarded Scrounger will pop into the battlefield.

Thanks, all clear!

Then I'll be moving the thread to a more appropriate category :) // Alve