PVP Gripes

Horrorshow
Horrorshow Posts: 23
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm sure I'm not the first to lodge a complaint about it, and I won't be the last, but there are certain aspects of PVP that need to be changed.

My highest level character is a 420 Phoenix, with a 390 BB and 330 OML as the next highest. All I see in PVP matches are rosters with at least 2 max 5*. How do you even stand a chance at maintaining a high score in PVP when for every match I can win, I lose 3 or more to players with much stronger rosters than mine? Timing, right?

Well, the way the start/end times for events are set up, I'm screwed. I live in the US, on the east coast, so my start times of 9 AM, 12 PM, 3 PM and 6 PM get negated by this funny thing called "work". A 9 PM start time would leave me a window of 1 hour to actually devote to pvp, but just happens to fall in a prime playing slot for the West coast of the US and anyone waking up in western Europe. 12 AM start time is only feasible if it ends on the weekend.

So, with that being said, are there any tweaks I can make to my roster (ie dropping Phoenix in hopes that the playing field levels out)? Or is there some nano-sized chance that we'lll see staggered PVP times that throw a bone to players running on EST?

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel you. I'm in New York and the end times are mostly brutal.

I think originally there were no "slices" (someone more veteran can correct me if need be), and the current system was the solution. So you're asking for a fix to the fix. Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    My end times are usually kinda wonky, too. I tend to work 16:00-22:00 shifts, so in PvE I can either end at 22:00 (meaning I need to grind about 14:30 to get it done before work) or 4am, and while I'm normally awake then anyway, I don't fancy staying up until 5am to do a grind of the new sub event.
  • TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    1/ The start time of the slice is not the time your roster should be worried about climbing... I suspect your experience and mine at climbs were very different when I was running 420 OML plus handful of 4*s as recently as last season.
    2/ I suspect you mean max-covered, not max. Your MMR is going to be very similar to mine with 450 OML and others at 255, versus your 420/390 dual roster. Dual leveled 5* is your MMR bucket.

I'm also an NY player, but shard 4 is home.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thing is how much HP are you willing to spend. For Friday end times slice one is 8:00 AM EST. you can use an 8 hr shield and then 1 hop match in the morning with a 3hr shield. For Sunday end times it can be fairly open, but We'd end times you can go slice 3 for a 6:00 am EST end time. Depending on how late you stay up you can shield right at the 8 hr mark. PVP can end whenever you want depending on how much you are willing to spend on a shield.
  • tgibbs40
    tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    I don't think my gripe will be changed but here it is anyway. PVP is set up to reward speed and I am in no hurry to rush thru matches. I also enjoy spending my HP on roster slots and the occasional cover deal. So I don't want to use it for boosts and/or shields. I also don't want to block out a large chunk of time all at once to climb up the PVP progression ladder.

I wish something could be done where I could play at my own pace and actually see some decent results from that. Until then, I'll just hit seed teams and make the occasional push a little farther up the progression ladder.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    The thing is how much HP are you willing to spend. For Friday end times slice one is 8:00 AM EST. you can use an 8 hr shield and then 1 hop match in the morning with a 3hr shield. For Sunday end times it can be fairly open, but We'd end times you can go slice 3 for a 6:00 am EST end time. Depending on how late you stay up you can shield right at the 8 hr mark. PVP can end whenever you want depending on how much you are willing to spend on a shield.

Pretty much this. PvP end times are fairly meaningless if you're willing to spend on shields. Considerably easier to manage than the PvE end times, which are rigid and requires a grind between roughly 10:30p - 12:30a, depending on event and speed.

I'm also east coast US, I do slice 3 for just about every PvP. Tuesday nights I can shield after 10pm for 150hp, Thursday nights I shield out after 10pm for 300hp, and the weekend its either 300hp Saturday night or 150hp Sunday morning.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Have you tried fighting those dual 5s? Depending on your cover distribution you might have a better shot than you realize..... What are your Bolt/PHX builds?

I'll tell you right now that if I saw a 420 PHX and 390 Bolt worth less than 40 points I'd skip it.....not worth leaving a juicy retal to a team that could probably beat me.

Also:
    Use shields to make end times irrelevant.
    I'm EST as well, but play in S5 which ends at 3 AM. I typically end events on an 8 or 24h shield.
  • Phoenix is a 2/5/4, BB a 5/2/2.