Would having locked or protected scoring tiers help in PVP?

deadtaco
deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
So I hit 2k in the sim this morning for the first time [pause for applause] and was immediately set upon to where I have lost many hundreds by now. This is fine as outside of adding to your season they do nothing as there is no placement in sim.

Because it does add to your season score however, it got me to thinking that it would be good to 'lock' your score once you reach a threshold. For instance in the shield maybe once you hit 1000, your score can no longer fall below that. Same at 2000. You can go above and get knocked back down, but it will just reduce to 2000 and do nothing. This way your points still count towards the season total and they are a kind of benchmark in that particular event.

This could extend to regular old PVP as well, where once you hit certain thresholds, you can't fall below it again. The next lock would occur some many points higher so that it is not an easy thing to do. Getting to 700 in a regular event is pretty damn hard for me personally so I don't try all that often after I hit the 575 mark. If I knew that 650 was the first tier where my score would be safe, I would bust my hump to get there. It would open up progression awards in PVP to people who lack the ability to get even close to reaching it.

I am sure there is some way to abuse this that I am not thinking of (and why I am posting this) but then again there are abuses to any system. What do you think?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can lock it with HP.

Your welcome.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    it be a fairly significant programming change and its hard to predict to effect of your proposed change. they are probably loathe to spend 3 months on a technical task and then find out that once the change is in the wild, no one really likes the results.

probably the easiest and fastest way to accomplish your suggestion is to:

make the season into a 2 board screen like the boss events. The current progession table is converted into a 10 round/level prize structure. As eacvh players plays each round/level their points are applied to a health bar just like the current boss events.

You could implement different forms of scaling by tie character or roster restrictions to various rounds. I.e. the highest round features only 5* level opponents and you need to win 400 points against 5* rosters to get the 15 cp.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    You can lock it with HP.

Your welcome.

Not for Sim PVP, but for Regular PVP, it would be nice if every time you shielded, it saved your score and you could never end up with a lower score due to defensive losses, up to 1200. You could still worsen your score due to offensive losses.

There's nothing more frustrating than unshielding at 1190 points, winning a battle for 20 points in just 3 minutes, and still somehow ending up shielding at 1140 points without having gained the 15 cp, due to defensive losses.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    mpqr7 wrote:
    broll wrote:
    You can lock it with HP.

Your welcome.

Not for Sim PVP, but for Regular PVP, it would be nice if every time you shielded, it saved your score and you could never end up with a lower score due to defensive losses, up to 1200. You could still worsen your score due to offensive losses.

There's nothing more frustrating than unshielding at 1190 points, winning a battle for 20 points in just 3 minutes, and still somehow ending up shielding at 1140 points without having gained the 15 cp, due to defensive losses.
    Have you been spying on my phone? This is the closest I've gotten to throwing my phone, and it's not even to blame.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    What you're describing happens at 900 as well as 1200. 3 minute win to get my Kingpin cover, but no...I suffer two defensive losses. No cover for you, thanks for playing.

Thanks to the completely unsatisfying experience I now climb to 900 at 20 hours out and put up the 24 hour shield and I'm done. I'd like to keep playing but it's just punishment and disappointment if I do.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    For conversation sake let's say D3 puts in *exactly* what OP suggests.

Within say 3 months a bunch of threads will be opened saying MPQ PvP is broken and players should never lose 1 point.

Not being able to handle hIt's been a common theme around here for awhile.

The most vocal here seem to think t5 & top progression in PvP should be given out like candy on Halloween to every single player. That would be utterly boring.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:

Having that risk is the most fun part of this grindy time consuming game!

Hop time coming, made sure to q three targets. Load up boosts. Crack the knuckles, take a deep breath. Go!! First two matches went fast? Nope been out too long gotta shield. Check player leaderboard...Did I get hit?? Whew clean hop! Maybe I should a went for a 3rd... Lol
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    You can lock it with HP.

Your welcome.

Great idea, play the Sim on the first day and spend HP everyday for two weeks to keep your score up.

You're welcome $$$$$.

Seriously though, I like the idea of being able to lock your score at milesrone point level values. 500-1000-2000 especially for the Sim so that I would have wait until the very last day to play it.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    deadtaco wrote:
    Because it does add to your season score however, it got me to thinking that it would be good to 'lock' your score once you reach a threshold. For instance in the shield maybe once you hit 1000, your score can no longer fall below that. Same at 2000. You can go above and get knocked back down, but it will just reduce to 2000 and do nothing. This way your points still count towards the season total and they are a kind of benchmark in that particular event.

This could extend to regular old PVP as well, where once you hit certain thresholds, you can't fall below it again. The next lock would occur some many points higher so that it is not an easy thing to do. Getting to 700 in a regular event is pretty damn hard for me personally so I don't try all that often after I hit the 575 mark. If I knew that 650 was the first tier where my score would be safe, I would bust my hump to get there. It would open up progression awards in PVP to people who lack the ability to get even close to reaching it.
    First of all, congrats on hitting 2000 and getting your cover!

WRT your idea, I like the idea of a player's "high-water mark" event score being used to calculate their PvP season progression, with their end of event score still being used to calculate their event placement. It's really just the same scoring system already used within each PvP event, except it's applied to the PvP season as a whole. It's just too bad the season rewards are so... poorly distributed above 4000 (seriously, 50HP at 7500?). I'm not sure of the impact on end-of-season placement rewards, but they really aren't all that different if you place between 51st and 5000th, so it's probably not much of an issue.

However, this would definitely cause a whole bunch of issues for both MMR and scoring exploits. For instance: what happens to a player when they exceed a milestone and then get knocked down to it again (eg. player reaches 1025 and gets knocked down to 1000).
    Options:
    1) they are effectively shielded at 1000, and no longer queueable until they gain more points. This would remove a TON of players from the matchmaking pool, and cause a bloodbath for any actively climbing players as the pool of potential targets would be MUCH smaller.
    2) they are shielded, but still queuable for full points. This is crazy talk - it would cause point inflation slice-wide (although it would give "lesser" rosters the ability to "grill" like the big boys do if there were milestones at 575, 650, etc).
    3) they are shielded, but queuable for partial points (half? 3/4?). Still causes point inflation, but a flood of lesser-value matches, making it even more difficult for active climbers to skip past these new "garbage" targets to actual high-value targets.

And that's just the direct effects, without players attempting to coordinate anything. And it ignores the question of how many points to give out on the last hit (1025->1000 is a loss of 25 points, but would that then cap the points gained at 25 too? Is that the value the attacker sees when they queue them up? Should it be? Should it be a way around the zero-sum nature of high-end scores? Is that exploitable?)

TL;DR - It's got some potential benefits, but I think it could cause more harm than good.