oath of the gatewatch II secondary objectives

Options
snow_leopardd
snow_leopardd Posts: 37
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I know it should be easy, but on the walker of wastes I can't seem to beat it in 4 turns. Six I can do. I have tried burn, green aggro... neither has worked. Anyone have anything faster?

Comments

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Takes a SUPER fast deck and a lot of luck, but I've managed it using Nahiri filled with all haste creatures and burn spells.

Ignore his creatures and just focus on putting out as much damage as possible.
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Did it with chandra 1
    List:
    Volcanic rambler
    Reckless bushwacker
    village messenger
    chasm guide
    Belligerent whiptail
    weldfast monitor
    turn againts
    start your engines
    uncaged fury
    devour in flames.

Add stuff like the devil spell and good burn if you have it obv.
    nahiri could also help with a good cascade.
  • snow_leopardd
    Options
    wereotter wrote:
    Takes a SUPER fast deck and a lot of luck, but I've managed it using Nahiri filled with all haste creatures and burn spells.

Ignore his creatures and just focus on putting out as much damage as possible.

That had been my approach using Chandra 1. Ill try with Nahiri.
  • orgazmo
    orgazmo Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Goldnight Castigator if you have it
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I beat it in 2 turns. Granted, I got lucky. I cast Emrakul and Reckless Bushwacker with Koth on turn one.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    I beat it in 2 turns. Granted, I got lucky. I cast Emrakul and Reckless Bushwacker with Koth on turn one.
    Same here. Turn 1 Olivia + Uncaged Fury followed by another Uncaged Fury on turn 2. Obviously it was total luck of a strong hand and a great opening board.
  • Yvendros
    Yvendros Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Nahiri
    t1: load mirrorpool, uncaged fury
    t2: bushwacker, use uncaged fury (20 damage)
    t3: 2nd bushwacker, use 2nd uncaged fury (28 damage)

a little luck, sure. but even without mirrorpool, that would have been 32 damage by end of t3.
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I did it with a Chandra 2, due to slightly better mana gains (+5 mana for red matches, +3 for black at level 36). I think a Chandra 1 with access to at least tier 3 (gem destruction) on her first ability would be almost as good.

Cards were:

Creatures:
    Volcanic Rambler
    Bomat Courier
    Dust Stalker
    Speedway Fanatic
    Village Messenger

Spells:
    Furious Reprisal
    Demolish
    Uncaged Fury
    Act of Treason

Support:
    Aether Hub

- I was lucky and got my Bomat Courier out on turn 1 (total 24 damage over 4 rounds).

- I landed a Volcanic Rambler on turn 3, and cast a Furious Reprisal, giving me 4 damage on turn 3 and another 5 when Rambler attacked on turn 4 (another 9, for 33 damage over 4 rounds); I luckily also drew an Uncaged Fury.

- I cast the Fury on the Bomat Courier on turn 4 and that was enough to put me over the top.
  • watman
    watman Posts: 64 Match Maker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm stuck on Kozilek - need the 2 ribbons objective - anyone has any idea how to deal with that one?

EDIT:
    Just did that with Kiora, if anyone needs the deck:
    Shrine of the forsaken gods
    Harbinger of the tides
    Nissa's pilgrimage
    Fertile thicket
    Herald of the Pantheon
    Claustorphobia
    Lashweed Lurker
    Prism Array
    Reflector Mage
    Nissa's revelation (just to make sure I don't die, only charged one, copies were exiled, always disabled)
  • Alve
    Alve Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options
    watman wrote:
    I'm stuck on Kozilek - need the 2 ribbons objective - anyone has any idea how to deal with that one?

Lots of creatures and supports. Have you tried Nahiri Zoo or Jace 2 with Contraband Kingpin?

For clearing the board without spells: defenders/berserkers (they'll last longer if you can grow them - they can have built-in growth like U. Hydra or you can rely on pw skills - Nahiri's 1st and 3rd, Arlinn, J2 3rd, Koth 3rd, Dovin 3rd etc.), special skills/supports that deal damage (Wolf of Devil's Breach, Tyrant of Valakut, even Thopter Pie Network), creatures with bounce (Harbringer of Tides, Reflector Mage etc. - they'll be more reliable with lots of draw and decent mana gains that'd let you cast them fast), pw skills - both Chandras, Ob etc. Supports with Disable or Destroy can be very helpful too (Suppression Bonds or Underhanded Designs to name just two). Zombie deck with Prized Amalgam, Diregraf Colossus, Graf Harvest and some Zombie token generators can also be a decent defense.

Keeping yourself alive: lifelink/lifegain (duh). Olivia and Gisela are obvious choices, but not everyone has them, so consider using Kingpin boosted by J2 3rd or Serene Steward in Nahiri Zoo. Green with Nissa's Renewal/Revelation or Arborback Stomper can also help, if you happen to have those.

Save your spell for emergency removal or Deploy, if you have it. If you have no other lifegain options, having a single Ondu Rising and pumping a 10+ base power creature with Nahiri's 3rd skill, then giving it lifelink can save your hide.
  • orgazmo
    orgazmo Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Another Deck Kozilek:

Nahiri

Lone Rider
    Gisela
    Angel of Invention (or really any Lifegain)
    Serene Steward
    Silver Strike
    Other filler (never used any but those above)

Pump with +4/+4 every chance you get. The first strikers take care of anything with berserker or defender and they will get big fairly quickly.