Are PVE Vault 10-Packs worth it?

VizMantis
VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I always get all the free tokens from the PVE and I usually buy the 1x daily reward everyday. Still, that gets my vault odds up to, at best, 1 in 65ish odds? I guess I'm not particularly lucky (although at those odds, not that unlucky), as I can't remember the last time I got any of the top 4 prizes (probably 6+ months if I had to guess).

That being said, for the first time in a long time, my PVE Vault (Hearts of Darkness) has one cover I really want (red Nova) and 2 I wouldn't be disappointed to draw (although Riri is borderline). I've got more than enough HP to buy a 10 pack, but I'm not sure its worth it. What's the general consensus on 10-pack value?

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you pull it then it's worth it.
    if.you don't pull it then you'll be upset over the wasted HP.
    If you skip them you'll always wonder if you could have pulled it.

I'm in the same boat. My vault has a Peggy cover, which would be my 11th for her. Probably gonna pass since it's her blue and I have her blue at 4 already. Now if it were a yellow, I'd blown all my HP on that vault.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have enough spare HP, then go for it. But wait for it to be a vault with things you really want. I personally prefer to wait for vaults with ultra-rare covers, such as Howard The Duck or Devil Dino.

If there was a vault with a 5* in it, I might give it a shot. If the vault simply has an LT in it, I'm not as interested, because that will probably just end up as a 4* cover for me, possibly a useless dupe.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I spent HP for a HoD 10-pack to try to get the Riri cover (or any 4* cover for that matter). I didn't get one. Oh, well.

Honestly, a 10-pack doesn't give you that great of a chance in an 80-cover vault. But if you want to try and you have the HP, then go for it.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am in the same predicament. Typically a 10pk is not worth it but my HoD vault contains the elusive Peggy yellow. Mine is 3/0/4. So it is very very tempting. I have been buying the Daily tokens but I am waiting until the event is over so I have all the Survival and Individual/Alliance reward tokens. So far I have used 11 tokens, probably will have 15 total. This will be my decision maker if I have to buy a 10/40pk or not.

Last PVE, I pulled my 13th IW in the vault on the first token, so I don't think the RNGesus will be that kind to me a second time.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    If all of the 4*s are good I will sometimes pull a 10-pack or two. If I'm whaling LTs mid-season I will sometimes use these vaults to try to get LTs a tad cheaper than event 40-packs.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I bought HP on the Lunar New year sale and had a lot of spare HP, so I did a 40-pack out of that vault and got everything I wanted out of it. Even if I hadn't, in my mind it's okay to splurge in these vaults now and again. It's fun. I don't buy PVP shields or boosts so I usually have spare HP.

Vaults are what they are. I don't think of value - the value of something is what someone will pay for it and its obvious many players will pay into these. If I have the HP and I see things inside the vault I like - I'll take a dip. If not, I don't. Spending HP on a vault or not spending HP on a vault isn't going to make me or break me either way.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    I spent HP for a HoD 10-pack to try to get the Riri cover (or any 4* cover for that matter). I didn't get one. Oh, well.

Honestly, a 10-pack doesn't give you that great of a chance in an 80-cover vault. But if you want to try and you have the HP, then go for it.

This is a good event to do it, though, because the wave nodes give extra tokens. I did manage to get the Riri cover (and a Captain Falcon I could use), but neither came from the 10-pack. The 10-pack just gave me better odds at pulling them later, really, and thanks to the extra tokens from the wave nodes, I managed enough pulls to get lucky a few times.

That said, I also spent HP I'd hoarded up over recent events, and totally wouldn't have spent HP I'd bought.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ended up pulling a ten pack, what's hp if not to spend amirite. Didn't get that peggy cover, but got Kiki and several 3s so hp well spent I guess. Would have been even better if I could have gotten that thanos purple too.
  • VizMantis
    So it sounds like the general feeling is, "not really worth it, but if you want it, go for it, because HP isn't that hard to come by these days".
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    For me, it is almost always worth it, because even if I do not get the cover I really want, I get plenty of levels from my 2*farm. Unless, of course, the 4* is one I really do not want or need.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I'd skip it right now but I'm in the middle of a run of **** luck I like to call the twostarapalooza. If I'd pulled anything in the last month to make me believe that RNGesus was done forsaking me I might consider it. icon_e_sad.gif
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,156 Chairperson of the Boards
    They're really, really worth it 1 out of every 5 times. 4 out of 5 times I'm so angry at myself for succumbing. When you spend 2800 HP and get all 2-stars you better have a pillow nearby; to punch or to cry into, or both in alternation.
  • VizMantis
    Well 8 2*s and 2 3*s later and I'd say no, not worth it. I didn't go in expecting much, and I still have 10k HP to spend on...roster slots(?), so I wasn't especially disappointed. icon_neutral.gif

But I get it RNG, you'll never give me a red Nova. Luckily the game was "nice" enough to sell me one in the Xmas limited vault run, so I guess I'll have to buy the other two with CP if I ever want to complete him.
  • VizMantis
    I keep hearing about all this HP lying around. I gotta check my roster's couch cushions or something.

With my fully functional farm, good standings in daily pve, and Shield Intercepts, my HP revenue is in the red. Of course, I'd note that I don't play PVP competitively and thus don't shield. If I did, my HP supply wouldn't be so favorable.
    Don't be goaded by the game waving a cover you really want under your nose. It's more costly, and unless you're willing to go all in, you likely won't get it.

Now you tell me... icon_e_wink.gif
  • Alkyoneus
    Alkyoneus Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    I prefer to save my HP for off-season PvP 40-packs. They're only 10k, they have the same odds as anything else, and you get the Legendary.
  • Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Well I went with a ten pack on riri's vault got her red and the legend token so I was very happy. I already had ~40% of the vault opened before the ten pack though.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I'm sure satastically they're not worth it, but I don't feel bad about buying 2 Heart of Darkness 10 packs to get my 5th Peggy yellowflag.png .
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like some previous posters I have more HP available if I'm not actively pursuing rankings in PvP
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like some previous posters I have more HP available if I'm not actively pursuing rankings in PvP
  • Shmoe50
    Shmoe50 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Which is still the only way to currently buy LTS with HPs instead of CPs...