A way of increasing the ability to get particular 5* covers

GrimSkald
GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
I had this idea over the weekend, and have been chewing it over ever since on how to articulate it. One of the chief complains regarding the distribution of 5* covers is that there no way to focus on any particular character once they have left the 3 "Latest Legends" pool of characters. One literally has to rely on chance to pull one from an ever-increasing pool of characters. Certainly, a person can spend CP but unless this is the last cover or two, that's a terrible way to finish a character.

This is my thought - we have had a number of events that have made available a style of Legendary tokens that only drop a particular character. The original run of the "Civil War" event had Legendary Tokens that had a 5% chance for either of two characters. We have a number of 5* Boss characters due to the rather unpleasant "Boss Rush" event - why not do runs of "Civil War" like events that give Event tokens that drop the two 5*s involved.

So instead of Captain America vs Iron Man, for example, we could see events that pit Black Suit Spider-Man vs the Green Goblin - the center Pin would be the boss version of that character, the outer pins would follow the theme, and the event would yield Legendary Tokens that have a 5% chance for BSSM and GG. While the event was running, you could spend 25CP to buy these tokens - it seems fair as you're giving up a 5% chance to get more of two specific 5*s. It would use the Civil War Code, require a little customization on the outer pins, but still it wouldn't be a brand new event, just a re-skin of an old one.

The top progression reward could be CP or the Event Token - ideally one should be able to score more than one event token from the thing - it's not that generous.

If these ran every month or so, the players could start hoarding CP for the characters they wanted. Newer people would finally have a chance to try to finish OML or PHX. It's not a great chance, but it's a heck of a lot better than drawing from the Classics.

Some of the pairings may be a bit odd for the theme, but that's not a big deal. We could see X-Men vs. the Avengers, or Inhumans vs. the X-Men, there are definitely possibilities beyond just the boss characters fighting each other.

Anyway, this is just an idea I had for the future. I'm sure there's something like this in the Forum agreement, but I'll make this explicit - I do not expect any kind of remuneration (either in-game or out) for this idea and wholeheartedly allow and encourage this idea to be used or modified without any further input by me. I claim no further ownership of this whatsoever.