Implement SCL 9 and 10

Evilgenius_9
Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
When SCL's were introduced, it said they would be fully implemented by 'late fall'. The assumption was that was lte fall 2016. Why aren't they implemented?

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Notice that no year was specified.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    My assumption is that they are concerned about the participation rates.

If you recall, when they released the original 7 clearance levels there were proposed shield rank minimums to enter each clearance level. Those numbers wound up being revised downward pretty substantially just before launch. This was probably done out of a fear that too few people would be eligible to play in level 7 events and then those brackets would, I don't know, give out too many prizes or something cruel like that.

So, my fear is you won't see CL9 open up until they see enough CL8 brackets filling. And then we will repeat the process for CL10. (Marvel canon only has 10 levels, I believe, so its not like they will be able to add 11 later - so they do need to be deliberate about these.)

The other thing they are probably resistant to: the prizes in CL9 need to be good enough to draw people up to play it. The mistake they have already made with CL7 & CL8 is that people with 5*s and champ 4*s are still joining CL6 brackets. That's really undermining the morale of players joining CL6 brackets. I would love to know what percentage of CL6 brackets are won by a player who already has a 5* champ. Build prize tiers for CL9 that make every 5* player think to themselves "wow, I need to play there."
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    If there are people qualifying for SCL8 going to 5 and 6, that's even more reason to open up 9&10. Make 9 have a 5* for placement like top 5 and 10 gives full progression 5* - add it at 6 clears per day rather than 4. I fail to see how the number of people qualifying is a reason to not do it. There are enough that 4 clears in scl8 is generally not top 200, often outside 300.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah.
    Faust was talking about PVP.

PVE rewards are fine, most people play in the highest CL they qualify for.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    The other thing they are probably resistant to: the prizes in CL9 need to be good enough to draw people up to play it. The mistake they have already made with CL7 & CL8 is that people with 5*s and champ 4*s are still joining CL6 brackets. That's really undermining the morale of players joining CL6 brackets. I would love to know what percentage of CL6 brackets are won by a player who already has a 5* champ. Build prize tiers for CL9 that make every 5* player think to themselves "wow, I need to play there."

They don't even need to go to excessive on the increases, they just have to decent enough for everyone and avoid the utterly pitiful increase we got when going from CL7 to CL8.

That is probably the biggest thing holding back CL8 right now as unless you are going for t10 it just isn't worth bothering with for anyone else due to minimal gains, they should have done something such as switched all standard tokens to elites when they went to CL8 and that alone would have drastically improved participation.
  • Megdar
    Megdar Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Whatever it is pvp or pve, the reward for SCL8 or out of line. It is even worst in pvp, but this is still stupid in pve.

People that have acces to SCL8 are dedicated player, so at minimum they 4 clears and more or get to 800 in pvp.

So what happen is in SCL8 doing progression minimum does not even give you a 3* (Each time I try, I'm outside of top 300). But in SCL 7 I end up top 50, so 2 cover 3* as reward. Add to the fact that the progression reward are nearly the same and you have no insentive to go SCL8 if you only do progression.

In pvp, 800 in SCL8 is barely top 200, and they did not even bother give the 3* to top 100 !?!??!??!?

There reward need to be change to SCL8 before they even think about other SCL...
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    If we want to talk about PVE; I would say the biggest mistake they have with regard to SCL when it comes to PVE is that scaling in PVE should be based on the SCL. Maybe not entirely, but it should be a factor. Then they could feel better about putting bigger prizes in progression and even placement in those higher clearance levels. This would be a great corrective action to deal with people who are soft-capping their rosters to exploit the current scaling algorithm to do better in PVE.
  • Teskal
    Teskal Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    Yes, the difficulty should be mostly based on SCL and not on the character levels.

In PVE I didn't understand from the beginning why there are unreachable characters in the special nodes in the early SCL.

I also think we can reach high SCL far to early. Ok, or there must be many more levels for PVE.
  • Leeroid86
    Leeroid86 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    I really think they need to bring these next levels around Asap. And put a block on the people who stop progression for the lower tiers. There is someone with a squad full of 5* champs who currently tops the scl 7 leaderboard and stops people like myself getting anywhere near the 4* rewards. Or at least implement a shield rank system where for instance shield rank 60-70 can only play scl7 , levels 70-80 can only play scl8 or something along those lines, which would Make it fairer for people who don't have these mass squads and are trying to build up their own squad
  • astrp3
    astrp3 Posts: 367 Mover and Shaker
    The devs actually discussed this in the Puzzle Warriors 3 interview two weeks ago. They said that they didn't have enough players who would qualify for SCL9 to make it competitive and avoid the "rich get richer" problem. They also said they didn't want people to be able to get placement prizes they shouldn't get and that if they did it not, the cutoff would have to be too close to level 8 to differentiate the two.

Whether that's true or not I don't know but right now, IMO, there isn't enough differentiation between 7 and 8 so maybe it is.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the real situation is that, so long as they continue to have whales shelling out big bucks for the top shelf rewards, they sure as heck won't give them away for free.

You can see this in their own implementation of SCL8. The rewards over SCL7 are pitiful. And that only threw fuel on the fire of people competing below their weight class. Why go to 8 to get slaughtered when you essentially get the exact same rewards out of 7?
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've put this elsewhere (built off someone else's thought) to add Bonus Tokens to SCL9. Only acquired through high progress and placement in low amounts, Bonus Tokens would only give bonus heroes. 75-80% rare, 15-20% legendary, and 1-5% Epic. The 5% chance of an addition bonus could still apply, or maybe be reduced if allowed. It could be added as a new break point in progress or replace an existing prize somewhere around the Legendary cover. Added after the Legendary would be nice, especially in PVP with that big, empty spot between 900 and 1200. In placement, it could be added at top 50 in PVE, top 25 in PVP.
    Guaranteed Epic covers would have to be an SCL 10 addition. End game covers for end game players. It would probably be a placement only prize though for #1 placement. Extending Legendary covers up to top 50 would sure be nice by then, and moving Bonus Tokens up to top 100. Legendary at top 20 in SCL9 would be nice too. (Top 10 and top 25 in PVP). Yes, that's wishful thinking, but that's most of what's posted in the suggestion area.