Ranty placement topic. New releases need to change

13»

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is still bothering me so I have one more comment.

Recently I went all out in the Carol release. She just seemed absolutely amazing and the dates were working fine for me. I ended up with top2 finish (good for 5 covers with the alliance reward). I have followed that with a cover from the next PvE and her PvP and got lucky with vault pulls. Extremly lucky. She is now 3-3-3. How long it will take me to max her? Probably couple of months with my speed and I might drop 120 CP toward the end of the process or empty DDQ stash if she is there.

With Mordo - i have 2 covers, might get extra 2 and maybe something from the vaults. 1-1-2? Maybe a bit more? maybe 0-1-2? We are looking at over a year to get him covered. And this is after I have got almost 150% of progression. This effort is just too much. And I still need 125% to be able to get the alliance reward. Just to shed light - of recent releases (and I have played all to around 150% max progression level) i have:
    Mordo - 0-0-2
    Riri 0-1-3
    Agent V 0-4-2
    Blade 1-2-2
    Gwenpool 1-5-2
    Medusa - 2-2-3
    Cage 4-2-3

CHANGE THE REWARD STRUCTURE you greedy tiny kitty tiny kitty!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I haven't looked through the whole thread so I don't know if it's brought up but it feels like the clearance levels make it harder to place. SCL8 contains all of the strongest players except for the few who decide to drop a level hoping for easier placement. If you create a system that bunches up most of the strongest players who used to be more spread out across brackets why do you have to place top 10 to get 3 covers or top 20 for 2? The point margins are so thin and most of the people are putting in the exact same effort; just that the ones who can do 4 clears of every node in 48 minutes instead of 53 minutes get the better prizes.

The game still has plenty of opportunities to earn 4* covers so it's not a disaster if I miss out on a cover by a handful of points but it still seems odd that clearance levels made it harder to place well.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:
    I haven't looked through the whole thread so I don't know if it's brought up but it feels like the clearance levels make it harder to place. SCL8 contains all of the strongest players except for the few who decide to drop a level hoping for easier placement. If you create a system that bunches up most of the strongest players who used to be more spread out across brackets why do you have to place top 10 to get 3 covers or top 20 for 2? The point margins are so thin and most of the people are putting in the exact same effort; just that the ones who can do 4 clears of every node in 48 minutes instead of 53 minutes get the better prizes.

The game still has plenty of opportunities to earn 4* covers so it's not a disaster if I miss out on a cover by a handful of points but it still seems odd that clearance levels made it harder to place well.

And part of that problem is them inexplicably not opening up the next CL's. 8 is now home to not only the people that should be in 8, but also the ones that should already be in 9 or 10.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they changed the need for having a new character as an essential for the very next event, this wouldn't be as much of an issue, but demi have always been stingy with handing anything out so I can't see this being changed sadly. icon_e_sad.gif
  • stewbacca
    stewbacca Posts: 82 Match Maker
    My issue is the complete disparity in scaling in the same bracket.

I run 3 450+ level 5* and it still can take me almost two hours for either optimal clear. Hit points are just so high you can't kill them fast enough. Either open up the other scls or fix the difficulty to the scls and stop scaling based on my roster. Honestly I should be destroying teams yet I get around 25th place and lose to somebody that doesnt even have 1 fully covered 5* on his roster. It just doesn't make sense.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my opinion, trying to go for placement rewards is just an exaggerated time sink. You need to grind optimally for hours and then hope nobody did it more efficiently and/or faster. And I hope you enjoy the scaling, bros. An excercise in patience at a repetitive task.

I know that's putting it a bit extreme, but I have a hard time these days finding enough patience to get to even the 4* cover progression without going bored. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's an alternative perspective for you: since there is little difference in rewards per tier, then stop trying so hard and be satisfied with top 200 rewards. Everyone admits that this game is a time sink, so play less and enjoy life more. I believe the devs purposely "flattened out" the placement rewards so that there's little incentive to grind away. I've come to accept this and I'm happier for it.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    at SCL8 (or 9 maybe?) shouldn't it be easier to acquire the 4* characters? Sure, your roster is better so than others, and that can help you clear faster but also face harder opponents. But in reality, you are chasing more 4* or 5* characters. They should reward you with things you want. As it stands, I will do JUST enough, but I will not try to excel. The reward structure is instilling a sense of complacency, where good enough is satisfactory.

give 2 covers for 4* through progression, make the placement rewards extend to lower placements. Rather than offer the top10 better/more rewards, also make the 4* cover reward for placement to top 50 (or t200 in new releases). This gives people what they want more, incentivizes people to play at their highest SCL. I don't care much about 3* rewards, I only care about 4's right now. But the devs seem to make it harder to get there.

I have said it before... can you imagine being a new player to this game? Trying to build a roster from this many characters, with the means of getting 5* (and specific 4*) being so difficult... I would be overwhelmed and quit within days.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    So here we are again. These "new releases need to change" threads are tradition by now.

This is weird. This time I didn't "go all out" and I still finished with over 69,000 points, 12 place, just 130 points shy of 9th. What I mean by "didn't go all out" is that I started my final grinds about thirty minutes before the optimal time so I could play at a more relaxed pace and even use some fun teams instead of going with the fastest ones. I think I finished each sub about 15 to 20 minutes earlier so I thought I would end up out of top 20. Had I known I would be so close to top 10 I wouldn't have played so "casual". icon_lol.gif

Reading this thread, I feel almost embarrased and apologetic. So many guys doing what appears to be a genuine maximum effort and still they can't achieve the goals they set for themselves while here I am with my lazy ****, winning a second cover I wasn't expecting. I apologize if this reads as if I'm bragging and rubbing it on your faces. Believe me, that is not the intention. This is just me dealing with the disonance between what's being reported here and my actual game experience.

Character releases are so damn competitive. That in my opinion is not a bad thing, makes the game more exciting. However, there's one point I would like to bring up on playing optimal since it seems it hasn't been mentioned yet: If you need two hours to make a full clear then please understand you'll never be able to compete with someone who can do it in one hour. Playing "optimal" is kind of a moot point when everyone else is doing it too and the outcome is decided by who can clear nodes faster. The best way to prevent frustration is by having realistic goals. I could "go all out" on next release hoping for a top two finish but realistically speaking that's out of my reach as those spots will be won by guys with champed five stars and a stable of four stars leveled close enough to them. It doesn't matter how hard I try, if we all play optimal, they'll always beat me because they can be faster. This, of course, happens too across all tiers.

Another argument I've heard often is "winning a new character shouldn't need this much work". That's a somewhat subjective statement. How much is "too much". If you ask me, it was too much work when you needed seven clears per nodes but maybe some guys were comfortable with that. For others however, maybe four clears is already too much. I don't think a redesign of the reward structure can be discussed seriously when you have such a wide gap in the willingness to play between the hardcore and casual players. The topic might be reward structure but the actual discussion is how hardcore should the game be, and therefore how much effort should be invested to earn a reward and how much reward should be given out for that effort.

I guess the latest new releases are simply exposing how **** the reward structure is across levels. We have eight of them but only the top three reward four stars. Things will get a little better when they open 9 but I think we need at least level 10 as well in order to make new releases less competitive and accesible enough. Not that we're going to have that any time soon well, maybe level 9.