Would you buy a 5* only token for 120 CP?

Options
Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
It seems to me like the cover game works on a multiplier of 6. Moving up a tier increases the cost 6 times. Going from random a specific cover also increases the cost 6 times. You pay 20 CP for a specific threestar cover or a random fourstar cover (or better, but let's ignore that for now). You pay 120 CP for a specific fourstar cover, and 720 CP for a specific fivestar cover. Seems like a token that gives a random fivestar cover for 120 CP would fit right in in this model. Would you buy it?
For simplicity's sake, let's just say it's possible to get any fivestar cover from this token, whether it is from the Latest or the Classic compilation.

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably. I'm far enough along in Championing 4*s that I'm no longer desperate for covers any more so they would make sense.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just imagine the fury if it dropped your 6th black OML for example. This place would be in meltdown without cover swaps. If you could swap it's all I would do, as I could as a 3* player earn easily enough every week to 8 days pull a cover I needed and have a developed 5* roster so much faster than I can even get Nova champed! I have been waiting an absolute age for the 13 cover in any of my 4*s to drop, I could just say **** it and move along my 5*s.

So yes I'd buy at 120CP. They won't do that right now, it's far too cheap.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I don't know if allowing every player to skip the 4* phase if they choose to is good for game balance. It would certainly mess up a lot of peoples scaling and organic roster growth.

Maybe a better idea is upping the drop rate for 5* from legendary tokens to 20%, and splitting the legendary tokens in 2, each with their own drop table. 5*1-6 and 4* 1-20 are in Legendary token alpha, 5* 7-12 and 4*21-40 are in Legendary token beta. That way if you have a specific cover you need you at least have better odds.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't know if allowing every player to skip the 4* phase if they choose to is good for game balance. It would certainly mess up a lot of peoples scaling and organic roster growth.

Maybe a better idea is upping the drop rate for 5* from legendary tokens to 20%, and splitting the legendary tokens in 2, each with their own drop table. 5*1-6 and 4* 1-20 are in Legendary token alpha, 5* 7-12 and 4*21-40 are in Legendary token beta. That way if you have a specific cover you need you at least have better odds.

It's able to be skipped anyway. Buy clubs and hitting the latest legends.

120cp 5* draw works as a shield clearance level unlocked vault. Set it to 80.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Buy clubs is hardly something that affects the average player though. And even then, you still get loads and loads of 4* out of those.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would.

But I doubt if it ever exists this token it would be 120CP, it is too cheap. Right now on average you get one 5 every 7 or 8 pulls, so thats 140-160, so I doubt if it ever exists it would be less than 200CP
  • RemoDestroyer
    RemoDestroyer Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Maybe this 120cp token should unlock once determined a shield rank is reached. Not sure what rank would be reasonable. Of course it's still possible to whale your way up the ranks.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You mean I can pay ridiculous amounts of rare resources to skip to the area of the game that currently garners almost nothing but complaints?! Sign me up!
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If it gives any 5*, it should probably be 150 CP to line up with 6 times 25 for Latests.

People would complain more about wasted covers, but at that rate 5*s would be far more controllable and the fervor would die down eventually, I think, since you could always hoard until you had the ability to champion, the way people do with 4*s.

I think it would be good for people already in endgame, but it would cause a lot of newbies to screw it up. Locking it behind an SCL clearance seems like a reasonable safeguard (one they should be using already, for LTs, honestly).
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Over the long run (which is the only way you can really play a game like this) with the 15% 5* pull rate on average 400 command points worth of classic legends tokens is going to give me 17 four star covers and 3 five star covers. I would not trade that for a guaranteed 3 five star covers for 360 command points.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Given the option, I honestly do not know. My OCD demanded I champ all 2* before 3, and all 3*s before concentrating on 4. If I had the option to just skip 4 and go to 5, I'd most likely pull out my hair in frustration trying to champ all my 4*s while trying to get 5*s to remain competitive. Also, it would hurt the game more than help at this point. To many players would just jump ahead to a level of play they aren't ready for and then be stuck using the same few 5* characters for every event.

tl;dr... to preserve the health of the game, and my sanity, I don't think a 5* cover for 120 cp, random or otherwise, would be a good thing.
  • antreas1911
    antreas1911 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What Haywire said.
    In the long term, let's say you have 1200 cp's.
    With 120 cp per 5* you get 10 5*.
    With current situation 9 5* and 51 4*.(almost guaranteed in the long long term).

It is a good idea but should cost less.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    120? That's 16.6% drop rate. My current rate is below 9%. How is this even a question?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For 120 CP that is all I would pull. I have 30 championed 4* and care very little bout the new 4* even though they have promise to be decent. I would rather get the 5* for 120 CP. there are so few that would be extra covers I would rather just start collecting.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lol, there aren't enough level 500 and above 5*s in game yet?
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes. I have enough 4* and they will still continue to grow. I would like a better chance to get 5s.

They won't do it though, not until they have 30 or so 5s when they announce the first 6*. 5% odds for the 6, but 95% odds for one of 30 5*! You heard it here first
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll be the oddball and say no. I'd miss out on five 4* covers, and 4* champ levels are of increasing importance as we are already starting to see people play them over 5* champs now.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lately I've been around 10%, but with so many months near 5% 5* drawing I'm lifetime -maybe- at 7%. RNG-only progress is still the worst part of this game.

I would -ONLY- buy that token. 4*'s are pretty pointless in the game after a certain point; I would gladly trade in my six almost-guaranteed 4*'s for one guaranteed 5*.