Inventors Fair - Anyone seen a good KLD deck yet?

Options
orgazmo
orgazmo Posts: 108 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Something that is clear after playing some rounds... very few are playing KLD energize cards in Inventors Fair. Its just he same decks you see elsewhere with maybe a extras thrown in. I don't think I've even seen a card come out that uses Energize besides Aether Hub. I was trying all new decks using the "meh" energize cards and such, but I guess I will swap back to cards that work every time.

Maybe we could start locking decks into certain card blocks? That would make things like Inventor's Fair a bit more fun I think.

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm using an energise deck for blue white, and it's pretty stable.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:

Me too. It uses broken cards like Deploy the Gatewatch, Engulf the Shore, Startled Awake and Rattlechains in order to support awful energize cards like Aether Hub and Deadlock Trap.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Killwind has a good C2 -- lots of KLD and energize stuff -- I just played against it.

I'm running energize stuff in all nodes, but I think I've done the best with Arlinn since she doesn't have energize abilities.
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I played against a deck that went all-in on energize. It was a pretty good match. I was worried that a 20 point Harnessed Lightning was going to come out of nowhere pretty much all the time.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I tried to participate. Then the AI used Deploy to bring an additional 3 copies of rattlechains. I was like "Great". Then I got Engulfed. So I swiped the application off the screen and removed all Kaladesh cards from my deck. Wake me up when the next set is here.
  • bk1234
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:

Please, tell us more.
  • Falizar
    Falizar Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    I prefer the non-event decks I've been facing.

Less energy less lag.
  • Astralwind
    Astralwind Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I play a deck based on KLD energize and overload on Dovin Baan.
    I felt that it's not invincible strong but it's good enough and fun.

Imprisoned In the Moon
    Chilling Grasp
    Encircling Fissure
    Saheeli's Artistry
    Hixus, Prison Warden
    Suppression Bond
    Aether Hub
    Multiform Wonder
    Electrostatic Pummeler
    Aethersquall Ancient

This deck requires some buildup like all energize decks.
    Electrostatic Pummeler and Multiform Wonder gives energize 3.
    If I am able to get Ancient into play, it gives energize 3 every turn.
    I always aim to get Dovin Baan's 2nd skill - Aether Siphon to Energize 2 every turn and to draw a card for overload 1.
    Other than that, I use Chilling grasp and encircling fissure to disable delay opponent's creature. Kill them with imprisoned in the moon.
    Hixus and suppression bond for extra safety net but they fail rather easily.

Once the board is so energized, I can easily use Ancient's overload 3 to throw back all other creatures.
    Cast Pummeler to energize further. Rinse and repeat.
    Cast out Saheeli for a huge permanent boost and my opponent won't last long.

But the problem is usually deck with creature removal spells that I am having trouble with.
    So it's not that strong but it's fun.
  • gulgoth
    gulgoth Posts: 73
    Options
    I find that dynavolt tower energizes the board like crazy for me. If you go back in time and get one of those it goes well in just about anything.
  • DaisukeK
    Options
    Era of innovation +
    Padeem/Pia/TamiyoJ +
    Saheeli's Artistry

This fills the entire board with energy and pumps any creature happens to be there like +20/+20 per SA.

The rest of deck can be anything that helps ramp and draw.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:
    buscemi wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

Me too. It uses broken cards like Deploy the Gatewatch, Engulf the Shore, Startled Awake and Rattlechains in order to support awful energize cards like Aether Hub and Deadlock Trap.

The real question is why you're using those cards.

Then teach me, oh wise sensai, which Energize cards you're playing which are so great.

And for the love of god, please don't try and tell me that Decoction Module is playable if you have Thopter Spy Network. I'm so sick of hearing that...

Decoction module is playable even without spy network. Not sure where you're going with this. I have it in my red deck. That's how my red energised last event too.

Certainly more playable and reusable than just throwing in Deadlock Trap and Aether Hub in a non energise focused deck.

Clearly you threw those two in solely for the energise. Hence my comment. If energise is all you're hoping to achieve, decoction module and glimmer of genius are more efficient at getting you there.
  • speakupaskanswer
    speakupaskanswer Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really enjoy my blue/white energy deck. His ultimate is very powerful and if you don't want it, the other abilities help you around too. It needs the right cards but that counts for every deck. Empyreal Voyager, Electrostatic Pummeler and Aethersquall Ancient are really good. If I had more good energy cards, it would be even better.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

Please, tell us more.

I know you're probably not really interested, but I'll bite.

It relies on dovin skill 2 to draw cards as fast as possible, with the win conditions of fevered visions and dynavault.

Using cheap cycle spells, I energise the board while looking for my creature removals.

Its a pure control deck.

Not everyone has dynavault, but I played the same thing last event with aetherflux reservoir and did pretty well in that event. You don't even need that if you're willing to play 20 minutes a game.
  • bk1234
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

Please, tell us more.

I actually AM interested -- I like to talk about decks.

I don't have Dynovault but I do have Resevior -- doing it that way, are you effectively doing 6 damage every turn -- assuming there is a spell to cast? Is it creatureless?
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    i havent seen any yet either my chandra 2 no go really dovin, ehh getting there but not world class hell or even platinum level yet. but still working on it
  • Ohboy
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

Please, tell us more.

I actually AM interested -- I like to talk about decks.

I don't have Dynovault but I do have Resevior -- doing it that way, are you effectively doing 6 damage every turn -- assuming there is a spell to cast? Is it creatureless?

Yes, it's creature less and guaranteed to complete both objectives. You literally can't screw up(unless you summon angels with descend and lose them... Three times)
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    New drinking game:

Everytime someone says "Dynovault" instead of "Dynavolt", take a drink. icon_e_wink.gif
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, I don't have the best decks or most powerful cards. But I've been having some pretty good results with Deadlocktrap, Decoction Module, and Fabrication Module. For my red, I also have Thriving Grubs. For green, I'm running Garruk with Decoction Module and just putting two 1/1 snakes out every other turn. I've been able to get the secondaries almost every time with these. I know there are better methods out there, but as I mentioned, my card collection isn't the strongest, so I do with what I got. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • bk1234
    Options
    Deadlock Trap is saving me over and over again against Platinum hexproof decks.

I know some people don't like it, but it's a gem in an event like this. It's also great in FS.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We've sort of strayed a bit from the OP's point, I think, which is that dedicated KLD decks aren't really a thing. Decoction Module and Deadlock Trap are certainly my energizers of choice, but the difference in power level between the average KLD creature and, say, the average SOI creature can be quite profound.

Someone else stated (sorry, I don't recall whom or where) that we spent all of SOI/EM establishing extremely powerful individual creatures that tilt the board the moment they're dropped, and then moved to a block that encourages more intricate/gradual setup and cards working in concert.

Olivia. Ulrich. Emrakul. Gisela. Bandit. Pre-nerf Sage. Pig. Rattlechains. G&G. Even Amalgam.

Meanwhile, the only KLD cards that facilitate fast energy were gated away as exclusives, and we're left with a bunch of relatively unexciting cards with effects that either 1) don't trigger enough or 2) are too weak to warrant playing them, because we're dead by the time the board is set up.