How is it possible to get GR/Spidey teamup in PvP-defense?

Polares
Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Lately I have started seeing a lot of people that when you attack them in PvP they always have as a team up the Ghost Rider black or 1 Spidey critical tiles (purple?) power. Those powers can really decide a match in your favor when you are in 5 land, both powers can easily do 50k+ damage and kill one char from your team ( I lost one match just because the other team killed my untouched until then BBolt with the GR black power, 50k+ damage in one attack).

So my first question is, how does the system assign which team up you have when you are defending? And second, how can these people manage to almost always have those two powers that are super deadly in 5 land?

Note: A defending team up SHOULD NOT BE THAT DECISIVE WHEN THE IA CAN USE IT FOR FREE !!! And those two powers should be banned from defending teams in PvP! (well and in PvE too)

Comments

• Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    The Spidey team up is pretty crazy. Actually, 1* Spidey is pretty crazy. I used him when they ran BoP with OML, short matches.

If OG Spidey was a 5*, with his red being aligned with 5* expected damage, he would be a staple on every 5* team.

I dunno about banning the tu though.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    The serious PVP alliances will ask for and send only specific tu's. the only control is to limit what tu's you have available.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    As far as I know you have no control over defensive teamups. I don't even think it's restricted to the teamups you're currently holding in your bank. It's assigned randomly, or by some algorithm we're not privy to.

For the powers themselves - many non-scaling powers will (perhaps ironically) be more powerful than scaled powers on the same tier at higher levels. Set effects like GR's penance stare, Spidey's and/or bullseye's crit generation, tile swaps, specials theft/conversion are dependent on the relative strength of the match. MBW's sting is highly utilized because the utility doesn't depend on the character's power.

I don't think that makes them OP. The defense is limited to one TU. If it's a potential game changer, you need to change your strategy to include TU denial.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    You used to be able to get around defensive team-ups by rostering the character the team-up was for.

Now... No such luck. (Unintended consequence of Play Anyone!. Now all the AI Rulk TUs. icon_mad.gif )

The only way to not get blasted by the worst Penance Stare of Doom is to leave TU tiles open. The AI will always preferentially match a Team-up Match 3 before any other match 3. Once the enemy has enough TU tiles to launch the Penance Stare, they will, because the AI is dumb.

While doing this, swap your attackers around so nobody does all the damage (conversely, have one person do all the damage, then have the character that has done no damage do one attack.)

Basically the MPQ equivalent of "spell fizzles."
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:
    The AI will always preferentially match a Team-up Match 3 before any other match 3.
    Is this true? Am I so thick I haven't noticed this?
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu wrote:
    pheregas wrote:
    The AI will always preferentially match a Team-up Match 3 before any other match 3.
    I remember reading something about this and I just had to find it!
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35008&hilit=AI+match+priority
    Number 33
  • BIuebell
    BIuebell Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Skrofa wrote:
    Dormammu wrote:
    pheregas wrote:
    I remember reading something about this and I just had to find it!
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35008&hilit=AI+match+priority
    Number 33

Not true. If the AI hasn't fired their TU-ability, then TU-matches have the same probability of being selected as matches in colours the AI team members have powers for.