The game in general

Skrofa
Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
Just my opinion on how I see the game. Hopefully it will stir up some diacussion.

First, a little background on my gaming experience.
It's not much, not too hardcore, but I remember that aside from games that I had bought for my console, I have never bought a PC game (though I played a lot). Mainly because I felt they were quite expensive.

A few years back I started playing a browser game called Wartune. It seemed simple enough. Do quests, level up, do the dailies, gather resources, pve, pvp. It was my first experience with the f2p thing. So I leveled and leveled. Until I could not play pve bcause my gear was too low and i got trashed in pvp by people who were in my level but soooooo much stronger than me. And then I learned about "camping". Do NOT level up. Only do missions with minimal xp. Hoard resources. Counter-intuitive? Tinykitty YES! Effective? Double tinykitty YES! I became a force to be reckoned with in both pve and pvp. Real life money? For six months 7 euro per month vip. And that was it. It took the better part of my day though. I scheduled everything around it. Eventually I burned out and stopped.

In the forums, the situation was exactly the same as here. People clamouring for changes. The game was riddled with bugs. People shouting about whales beating the kitty out of them. And the most common thing? Goodbye threads, quitting threats, and people saying that the game will eventually die. Well, I think wartune is 5 years old and still going strong. Are the same people still playing it? Well, I don't really think so. But new people keep pouring in. New whales, new casuals. As far aa I understand now, it is not really the same game as it was in 2013 when I played, but it's there.

My point? Well...As I said, It's almost the same situation as here. Such games will always have issues. They are built to keep the money flow coming. Not so much for player satisfaction. However, it is up to the players to play as much as they feel they enjoy the game. If it becomes a burdain, stop.

We don't HAVE to have all the characters, we WANT to. Big difference. Maybe a little camping wouldn't hurt, huh?

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    The difference here I think is that the system this game uses means that if you don't have a certain character you will be unable to compete in upcoming PvE events if you want to.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    With Essential nodes in PVE, and required characters for each PVP event, literally one of the best things you can do for yourself is roster and cover and level more characters. You say
    We don't HAVE to have all the characters, we WANT to.
    but that is fundamentally wrong. That's literally just not how MPQ works.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    what is the OP's point? to chill out, have fun and not stress about the game?

"camping" doesn't really work in MPQ. You used to hear about people who would soft cap all 3* and 4* at level 94 (and not roster 5*). I mean you can do it, but you're not going to get top placement in SCL8. I mean, obviously in PVP, you at least need champed 4* to get top placement. And in PVE, it is theoretically possible to do well if you have a roster of soft capped heroes, but the big 5* players are probably going to be faster than you.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc wrote:
    With Essential nodes in PVE, and required characters for each PVP event, literally one of the best things you can do for yourself is roster and cover and level more characters. You say
    I have to disagree with you here. For one, there are 5 tiers of characters, and even claiming that you HAVE to have ALL of the "essential" characters in PvE means you only have to roster all of the 2-4* characters (plus one 1* to do all ddq nodes too i guess). To be more of a smart-**** I could go further and say that's not even true because you don't really have to have bagman, dino, howard, or gwenpool as they are not essentials in any events (typically, at least).

Discarding those technicalities the point of the OP is that this is a game and it's meant to be a source of entertainment for us players. If winning events (or t5-10 or whatever bar you set for "success") is your sole goal in the game and where you derive enjoyment from it, then yes, you need to roster every character so you have access to every essential node in PvE. If you're just trying to improve your roster, or you just like match 3 games and also happen to like marvel characters but aren't particularly competitive, there really is no reason you have to have everyone. Missing an essential may cause you top progression sometimes (although it doesn't have to), but that's not going to stop you from improving your roster and playing the parts of the game you find fun.

The main point that I took away from the OP is that if the game is frustrating you and causing stress because you feel like you have to always keep on the new character treadmill, maybe you should take a step back and find what it is you enjoy in the game. If chasing new toons every 2 weeks is going to lead you to hate the game and burn out and quit, perhaps you shouldn't do that right? Anyway, it's just one person's viewpoint on the game and I appreciate him writing it up. Feel free to continue to play the game as you see fit, and hopefully you're all having fun.

Cheers
  • Skrofa
    mohio wrote:
    JHawkInc wrote:
    I have to disagree with you here. For one, there are 5 tiers of characters, and even claiming that you HAVE to have ALL of the "essential" characters in PvE means you only have to roster all of the 2-4* characters (plus one 1* to do all ddq nodes too i guess). To be more of a smart-**** I could go further and say that's not even true because you don't really have to have bagman, dino, howard, or gwenpool as they are not essentials in any events (typically, at least).

Discarding those technicalities the point of the OP is that this is a game and it's meant to be a source of entertainment for us players. If winning events (or t5-10 or whatever bar you set for "success") is your sole goal in the game and where you derive enjoyment from it, then yes, you need to roster every character so you have access to every essential node in PvE. If you're just trying to improve your roster, or you just like match 3 games and also happen to like marvel characters but aren't particularly competitive, there really is no reason you have to have everyone. Missing an essential may cause you top progression sometimes (although it doesn't have to), but that's not going to stop you from improving your roster and playing the parts of the game you find fun.

The main point that I took away from the OP is that if the game is frustrating you and causing stress because you feel like you have to always keep on the new character treadmill, maybe you should take a step back and find what it is you enjoy in the game. If chasing new toons every 2 weeks is going to lead you to hate the game and burn out and quit, perhaps you shouldn't do that right? Anyway, it's just one person's viewpoint on the game and I appreciate him writing it up. Feel free to continue to play the game as you see fit, and hopefully you're all having fun.

Cheers

That's exactly the point! Not having one or even two of the essentials deprives you of nothing more than placement/progression rewards. You still have 6-7 nodes to play with, and ddq. You can still enjoy some nice match 3 games!

As long as you take it easy! But, to each their own of course!

I didn't mean to sound preachy or anything. I just wanted to throw in some food for thought with a comparison of a similar experience I had.

Now, about camping. Let's say you only have a roster of champed 3* and lower. Your scaling should not be really harsh, especially for pve. So, you can ignore pvp and just enjoy some nice, challenging pve matches and not worrying about placement!

Thus the game becomes enjoyable again without all the grinding and unavoidable burnout
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Skrofa wrote:
    So, you can ignore pvp and just enjoy some nice, challenging pve matches and not worrying about placement!

We could also go play Candy Crush, or one of the many other match games that are currently being advertised in SHIELD intercepts. One of them's about cooking, and there's another about island life. There's probably a few more I haven't seen, but they look pretty fun.

The only reason this game has pull (for me, at least) is roster progression. I don't particularly enjoy the gameplay any more than I do a 15 year old copy of Tetris for my N64. That's arguably more satisfying from a gameplay perspective. Without the constant building of characters and development of their abilities, this game is pointless and outmatched in terms of mechanics, especially in context to what people spend on it.

Missing essentials has an impact on that. I roster everyone I can so I know I can make progression, and hope that some day that character will make a useful contribution to my PvP or even unboosted PvE play. If the match-3 formula were enticing enough on its own I wouldn't fall asleep around 11:00 trying to get my 4-clears. Absent access to the reward structure, the game is pretty drab.
  • Skrofa
    Calnexin wrote:
    Skrofa wrote:
    So, you can ignore pvp and just enjoy some nice, challenging pve matches and not worrying about placement!

We could also go play Candy Crush, or one of the many other match games that are currently being advertised in SHIELD intercepts. One of them's about cooking, and there's another about island life. There's probably a few more I haven't seen, but they look pretty fun.

The only reason this game has pull (for me, at least) is roster progression. I don't particularly enjoy the gameplay any more than I do a 15 year old copy of Tetris for my N64. That's arguably more satisfying from a gameplay perspective. Without the constant building of characters and development of their abilities, this game is pointless and outmatched in terms of mechanics, especially in context to what people spend on it.

Missing essentials has an impact on that. I roster everyone I can so I know I can make progression, and hope that some day that character will make a useful contribution to my PvP or even unboosted PvE play. If the match-3 formula were enticing enough on its own I wouldn't fall asleep around 11:00 trying to get my 4-clears. Absent access to the reward structure, the game is pretty drab.

Well, as I said, each one has different goals, likes and dislikes in a game. Do I enjoy getting top50 in most events? Sure! Would I be thrilled with a t10 or better? You betcha! If I have rhe time and willingness I go for it. If not, it's not the end of the world.

I do not play candy crash or anything else like that simply because it's not marvel. I tried other match3 games and theydid not hook me like this one.