4 Tile Match to start

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I do not have any concrete mathematical scientifically organized data to support this, but it seems like there is often a 4 tile match waiting for me at the beginning of many of my matches. I've been keeping count the last couple of days and by my reckoning it happens around 50% of the time. Then again, 4-tile matches aren't that uncommon, so maybe it's not supernatural or me being lucky.

But I'm curious if anyone else has noticed the same?

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing too. It's always a hard decision to make too. Take the 4 tile match for an off colour for the damage boost or take a 3 tile match for an in colour to get to that first ability faster.
  • I notice more like 1 out of every 5 games.

Maybe one of our resident math wizards can calculate the actual odds !!
  • I'll scan the board for match-4's and match-5's and then look for patterns that suggest potential cascading matches. The match-4 is only good if I can use the color, collateral tiles happen to be colors I want (the 4 other tiles that get cleared) or it prevents the opponent from fueling an ability. If I don't need it but the AI does, I try to break it up by matching a color I need that removes the potential match.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I see them fairly often at the start of a match, probably 1 in every 4 or 5 matches. The fun part is deciding if the match 4 is worth it or not, since you know the AI will always take the match 4...regardless of team benefit.

It's great when the AI makes a match 4 for a color they do not use...at the same time you've been eying up a match that will give you enough AP to send them packing.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing too. It's always a hard decision to make too. Take the 4 tile match for an off colour for the damage boost or take a 3 tile match for an in colour to get to that first ability faster.
    I try not to have off colors in my lineup (though usually black is only passive for my A team).
  • Dormammu wrote:
    I do not have any concrete mathematical scientifically organized data to support this, but it seems like there is often a 4 tile match waiting for me at the beginning of many of my matches. I've been keeping count the last couple of days and by my reckoning it happens around 50% of the time. Then again, 4-tile matches aren't that uncommon, so maybe it's not supernatural or me being lucky.

But I'm curious if anyone else has noticed the same?

Every other game? I'm sure not. Though I look for colors not 4-patterns first. And an off-colot 4 match would not be memorable for sure.

Starting with a 5-match opportunity, now that helps a lot. I recall a few games having 2 right on. And recall game gaving 3 5-matches in a row. didn't last very long icon_e_smile.gif

OTOH I frequently get "stacked" boards with colors layed out in clear pattern and arranged to have 0 initial collapse chance. Other people get those too?
  • Bugpop wrote:
    I'll scan the board for match-4's and match-5's and then look for patterns that suggest potential cascading matches. The match-4 is only good if I can use the color, collateral tiles happen to be colors I want (the 4 other tiles that get cleared) or it prevents the opponent from fueling an ability. If I don't need it but the AI does, I try to break it up by matching a color I need that removes the potential match.

I do pretty much the same. It feels I'm getting easier matches when I focus more on cascade chances rather than certain colors or the denying game.