Seeking clarification on SCL vs brackets in PVE

deadtaco
deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Ninja Edit : This is only about PVE only, not PVP

When I join a slice I am put into a bracket of up to 1000 other players.

Say I join in at SCL 4 because I hate getting good prizes.

Am I :

A ) Put into a bracket with up to another 1000 SCL 4 players? Seems like this would fill up very slowly if at all.

B ) Put into a bracket with up to 1000 people who joined that slice around the same time and the 1000 are divided up by our SCL for prizes. (So, for example, 500 players vying for SCL 8 rewards, 400 for SCL 7, 50 for SCL 6, 49 for SCL 5 and then me)

I thought it was A but I'm not 100% sure. Or is it something else?

Comments

• Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Its other. SCL has no affect on your opponents or scaleing, only the rewards. Your placement will be made up of 1000 people who chose the same level though, not necessarily in that bracket.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    I believe it's A and I suspect you'd be surprised about the speed, but even if you're not you don't have to wait for it to be full. You'd actually have an advantage if it didn't fill. Still I think there are lot more lower players than you realize.
    Huntah86 wrote:
    Its other. SCL has no affect on your opponents or scaleing, only the rewards. Your placement will be made up of 1000 people who chose the same level though, not necessarily in that bracket.

This is incorrect from my understanding. Your MMR isn't affect if that's what you mean by opponents, but your 1000 people you are placed against absolutely are in the same bracket as you, that's how placement works....
  • deadtaco
    Huntah86 wrote:

It would have to be 1000 people in that level that chose that same slice though, correct? The rewards go out after the last sub ends.

I should have phrased it as PVE only, I know PVP is different.
  • for pve if you select scl4 you will be bracketed with 999 other scl4 players.

your individual node/event scaling will still be based on your roster and will not be impacted by whatever scl you choose to compete in as it will not impact the other 999 other players. you will be competing with those individuals for the listed scl4 placement awards.
  • deadtaco
    thanos8587 wrote:
    for pve if you select scl4 you will be bracketed with 999 other scl4 players.

your individual node/event scaling will still be based on your roster and will not be impacted by whatever scl you choose to compete in as it will not impact the other 999 other players. you will be competing with those individuals for the listed scl4 placement awards.

This is what I thought, but was curious. So If you join at SCL4 when the event starts and (to keep it easy) 198 other people join at SCL4 over the next 48 hours and then I join just as the third and final sub opens (bracket sniping), we will be in the same bracket? I would essentially be in 200th place at that point?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    For PvE (and PvP) - you're grouped with 1000 (500 for PvP) players who chose the same slice and SCL level.

To answer the non-question 2nd part, yes, that means these things fill slowly. If you compare nowadays to before the SCL splits, brackets fill much, much slower now.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    deadtaco wrote:

This is what I thought, but was curious. So If you join at SCL4 when the event starts and (to keep it easy) 198 other people join at SCL4 over the next 48 hours and then I join just as the third and final sub opens (bracket sniping), we will be in the same bracket? I would essentially be in 200th place at that point?

Yes.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    deadtaco wrote:

Yes.

The rub there is that, even though placement is easier, placement is also more meaningless. For a new 4* release, there are zero 4* covers rewarded in SCL4, zero in SCL5, rewarded to the top 50 players in SCL6, rewarded to the top 100 in SCL7, and (stupidly) the top 100 in SCL8.

There's an argument that it is worth it dropping out of SCL8 to 7, and the devs really need to do something about that by encouraging people to go into SCL8 by upping the rewards. But, aside from that, there's little reason to drop SCL's for easier placement, since you'll usually wind up getting less even if you place well.
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    broll wrote:

This is incorrect from my understanding. Your MMR isn't affect if that's what you mean by opponents, but your 1000 people you are placed against absolutely are in the same bracket as you, that's how placement works....

I thought the OP was talking about PVP, thats what I was referring to. Since its PVE then thats completely different and what I said doesnt apply lol.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Huntah86 wrote:
    broll wrote:

I thought the OP was talking about PVP, thats what I was referring to. Since its PVE then thats completely different and what I said doesnt apply lol.

For both pve and pvp your placement will still be made up from people in the same clearance level and the same bracket. 500 players for pvp instead of 1000, but all 500 players will have chosen the same clearance level as you and in the same bracket as you.

The difference for pvp is your opponents are not only chosen from your bracket. You can and will face those from outside of the bracket in a match, which is different than your placement in the bracket.