Sticky Posts Policy For General Discussion?

Options
NorthernPolarity
NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I was surprised to see that the color pie discussion / the list topics were stickied on the general discussion board. My vision for sticky posts is that they should be reserved for posts that people would naturally expect going into the board: the current PvP tournaments for the PvP board, character rankings/compendium for the character discussion boards, etc. General discussion is a different beast entirely though: since the topics can literally be about anything, I don't think it makes sense to sticky any well-thought out post. Over the course of time, too many posts would be stickied and clutter the board as a result. While these topics were well made, I dont think that they should be stickied simply because general discussion is too random to warrant stickied posts like this. Patch note discussions and general board stuff like the moderator wanted post are the only topics that I think should be stickied. What is the current moderator policy on stickied posts, and I'm interested to see what other forumgoers think about this topic as well.

Comments

• Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My thinking is that particularly nice posts should get a sticky for a few days so that people have a better chance to see them.
  • I think stickies should be used for topics that get threads repeatedly created about them as soon as they fall off the front page. I don't think color pie or the list fall into that category, but "scaling discussion/complaining" or "funbalancing discussion (perhaps in Character forum)" might be.

Basically, anything where IceX or our new mods periodically have to close/consolidate a half dozen threads would be candidates to get a sticky for a while
  • i don't see a problem with well thought out posts receiving a sticky for a while. The clutter phenomenon only comes into play if things stay stickied forever but with a seemingly active group of mods they should be able to stay ahead of the clutter.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    With my newfound moderator powers, I'm feeling like Lord Business in the Lego movie. I want to put everything in a perfect place, then make everything sticky.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    I wouldn't mind having a single stickied post that contains a bunch of links to useful threads. That way useful threads don't disappear once we're done discussing them, and the board doesn't get cluttered with a dozen stickies.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    Already being done to some event. The Character Compendium has character links, and Our Story Thus Far has summaries and links of various events. Most of the lasting stickies have useful info.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't mind having a single stickied post that contains a bunch of links to useful threads. That way useful threads don't disappear once we're done discussing them, and the board doesn't get cluttered with a dozen stickies.

That's a pretty good idea: a "best of" general discussion post of sorts. Maintaining it sounds like it would get pretty challenging though, maybe if you mods are up for it icon_e_biggrin.gif.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options

That's a pretty good idea: a "best of" general discussion post of sorts. Maintaining it sounds like it would get pretty challenging though, maybe if you mods are up for it icon_e_biggrin.gif.

You say that like that's something nonce hasn't already decided to start and maintain until 2018 icon_razz.gif