What makes you an X* player?

Options
2»

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It probably has more to do with the characters you actually play with than it does with how many characters you have rostered. If you have 2 5* champs and you play with nothing else, then I assume you're a 5* player, but if you have the same and only play with Elektra/Mr Fantastic then you're a 4* player.

Personally, I hardly ever play with 4*s unless I'm forced to, but that's changing, ever so slowly, as I run out of things to spend my Iso on below that tier.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hmm, by that definition, what's a transitioner then? Only 1 "useful" character of the next tier? Seems pretty restrictive.

Someone who isn't using (whatever+1)* the majority of the time yet. You only use character 2-3 at a time. That's all it takes.

Funny you're asking a person with 1 usable 5* (well, sorta) whether such a person is a transitioner icon_lol.gif
    Well, yeah - but isn't that definition *only* true for the 5* tier?

Does scaling lock you into using only 3* once you have 2 useful 3*s? Or two useful 4*s?

I think the specific number varies depending on which tier you are referring to.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hmm, by that definition, what's a transitioner then? Only 1 "useful" character of the next tier? Seems pretty restrictive.

Someone who isn't using (whatever+1)* the majority of the time yet. You only use character 2-3 at a time. That's all it takes.

Funny you're asking a person with 1 usable 5* (well, sorta) whether such a person is a transitioner icon_lol.gif
    Well, yeah - but isn't that definition *only* true for the 5* tier?

Does scaling lock you into using only 3* once you have 2 useful 3*s? Or two useful 4*s?

I think the specific number varies depending on which tier you are referring to.
    It's mostly true for the 4* tier as well. Once you get a pair of top tier 4*s with synergy it's all you use, except in some rare instances where you have some well leveled 3* champs that are boosted and can be more effective. I'm too far removed from the 2* and 3* tiers to really comment on those, but I don't ever remember going back to 2*s once I had my first two 3*s maxed.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I went with 10. I currently have 4 champed 4*, every 3* champed except thanos. I consider myself a tweener between 3 and 4, but more towards the 3 side. If none of my 4* champs were boosted, I would use mostly 3* characters during PVE, and I wouldn't need to use a 4* in PVP.

Even during the Oscorp Heroic, I used multiple 3* and 2* characters alongside my boosted 4clops. When the nodes get harder, I was forced to run out champed 4clops, champ iceman, and champ Cho. But I used IM40 and Strang3 often, as well 2* widow, switch, fist.

And in TaT? I am loving that boosted Fist.

So, I use my champed 4* a lot, but I still use 3* more. Even after next week when I champ my Ant Man, that brings me to 5 and I still don't think that is enough to consider me a 4* player. Having only 5 might work if they were all top tier, because any 5 team combo of 4clops, iceman, jean, peggy, 4pun, hulkbuster, thoress, Rhulk would be a pretty awesome team that you may never have to deviate from. But if they aren't all top tier, I think you need at least 10 in either the 3 or 4* tiers to consider yourself there. 5* I can not speak from any experience, so I won't even try.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My missus just champed her 7th 3* and realises she doesn't use two stars all that much anymore. So somewhere around 5-7 I would say.
  • MarkersMake
    MarkersMake Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's mostly true for the 4* tier as well. Once you get a pair of top tier 4*s with synergy it's all you use, except in some rare instances where you have some well leveled 3* champs that are boosted and can be more effective. I'm too far removed from the 2* and 3* tiers to really comment on those, but I don't ever remember going back to 2*s once I had my first two 3*s maxed.
    Sure, if you restrict the definition of "useful" to "top tier with synergy" then the answer is definitely 2. How many other characters of that tier would be at a useful level (covered and/or champed) before you get that top tier pair ready though?
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Transitioner = mutiple unchamped characters of that tier

X* player = can comfortably put out a champed tier in at least half the events.

That's my interpretation. Not necessarily about how many champs you have it's more about how often your champs lead to better scores. For example...having a champed cyke, Rulk and thoress makes you 4* since they are boosted very often and are useful in both pve and PvP
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm a 4* - 5* player? I won't be a 5* player until I have at least two championed 5*s. Right now they're both at 400+.

I also have 30+ championed 4*s that I almost never use. Just championed Spider Woman today!
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Why, quitting the game makes you an X player, of course!

Serious answer: For the 5* tier, you need 2 solid (although not champed) characters. Without significant boosts in that tier, they're usable in virtually any node in the game, if you choose to do so.

For any other tier, I'd put it at about 8. That's about the point where you'll be using that tier of characters as your primary damage dealer. Sometimes you'll bring a support character from a lower tier, but you'll rarely be bringing a boosted character from a tier down because they're your best offensive option.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i have 28 champed 3's and a few decent 4's (X-23, Cyclops Nova and most others useful if boosted)
    So i assume this makes me a 3 Star player at the beginning of the 4 Transition
    I'm trying to Champion all Possible 3's Before Championing 4 Star Cyclops (only 4 3's without Max Covers)
    If I get a usable X-23 Cover though she will get leveled up (already 213 and maxed at 5/4/1)
    Right now I'm keeping Cyclops at the same level as my highest 3 (IM40 at 191)
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I said 10. While there's arguments for daying what tier do you play the most, that depends too much on how you play, pve, pvp, going for placement, progression, both, etc.

What is a better indicator is, what tier do you use against a hard match? When you are not sure if you can win it but you have to. What tier do you bring? If you have a couple champed 5s, you're bringing those and you're a 5* player. If your strongest 4s are weak ones, you might bring 3s and you're a 3* player. When you have those like rulk, teen jean, iceman, peggy, you play those and you're a 4* player. I consider myself a 4* player with 13 champs and almost never use a 3 except for the best batteries, IM40, IF and Switch.