Gaming the system

keitterman
keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
It seems like everything your team’s roster score I completely manageable to game the system in your favor.
Near as I can tell, the system takes your top 3 leveled characters for the event, and averages their level. Then, it prefers matches you against people with that average in PvP, and scales the pins in PvE based on this level (it appears that the last pin’s 2nd or 3rd clear will match this average)
Knowing that, and knowing that you’ll want your average to be as low as possible, it seems you could Max/Min the system with a 5*. Example:
Black Bolt @lvl 450
Max every 3* 166
Leave every 4* at 70 (because if they are empowered for the week, they could throw off your calc)

This makes your resting average at 260.
If you have two 3*’s empowered by 75 levels (and maybe you have a few extra covers on them) you’ll be looking at an average around 320.

In PvE you’ll clear every pin 4-6 times without breaking a sweat, thus allowing you to rank higher in your group easily.
In PvP you’ll never face a 450*3 team in your group. You may have to play against them, but you won’t need to get more points than them.

To do this you’d have to:
Sell all your rostered 5*’s that aren’t your primary
Sell all your 4*’s that could be empowered past your 3*’s

Is all of this correct? Seems exploitable and broken

Comments

• beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    3risbcx.jpg
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope! As soon as you level up a 5*, you get placed against very very tough opponents in PVP, and then when you finally manage to beat them, you learn to your chagrin that people with double-champed 5*s trounced you, causing you to lose hundreds of points in defensive losses.

The more you level up your 5*, the more you get trounced! If it seems a bit backwards that it gets worse as you level up your roster, then well it is backwards! It makes no sense! And yet that's how things are.

And yet fools such as myself continue to level up their 5*s, foolishly thinking that since we finally won a few covers that we were maybe meant to actually use them?
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Nope! As soon as you level up a 5*, you get placed against very very tough opponents in PVP, and then when you finally manage to beat them, you learn to your chagrin that people with double-champed 5*s trounced you, causing you to lose hundreds of points in defensive losses.

The more you level up your 5*, the more you get trounced! If it seems a bit backwards that it gets worse as you level up your roster, then well it is backwards! It makes no sense! And yet that's how things are.

And yet fools such as myself continue to level up their 5*s, foolishly thinking that since we finally won a few covers that we were maybe meant to actually use them?
    See, i leveled my 5* to 420, but only really started facing multi-maxed 5*s when I started championing 4*s.
    Yes, I somehow got luck and get 11 covers on Black Bolt before maxing my 4*s, I also left my 5*'s low until I got a ton of Black bolt covers.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor

if you will not comment or post any info, why bother?
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    It also takes number of covers, levels and your PvP record into accoubt, puts it into a blender and calculates your MMR.

OK, the blender part isn't exactly accurate but substitute "blender" for "proprietary formula" and that's what we have.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Wonko33 wrote:

if you will not comment or post any info, why bother?

Thanks for being the fun police. I think my post was less harsher than telling the OP that he lost me at "gaming the system" and then proceeding to suggest that we sell off 4*s and 5*s. Many posts have already toyed with PVE node scaling by softcapping rosters; however those results are not 100% reproducible for all here because our rosters/goals all differ. Also I'd just be redundant in reposting information that can be found in multiple posts by searching for post re: scaling and MMR.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    "In PvP you’ll never face a 450*3 team in your group. You may have to play against them, but you won’t need to get more points than them."

Wait, what? You'll never face them? Not sure what your goal is, maybe it's climbing to 650, but you will get absolutely destroyed past 800. You would never hit 1200 with a roster like that.

I don't even know what you mean by "you won't need to get more points than them." I guess if your goal is <800, you're right. But with a champed 5* I'd think you'd want to hit progression.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    keitterman wrote:
    To do this you’d have to:
    Sell all your rostered 5*’s that aren’t your primary
    Sell all your 4*’s that could be empowered past your 3*’s
    Is all of this correct? Seems exploitable and broken

Sounds like a whole lot of no fun.

Presuming you're correct (I'm not sure you are, based on others' responses and my own understanding of the system), you restrict yourself to a single useful character flanked by nearly useless scrubs. If you can manage that hack, let us know how it works out. I enjoy my 11 champed 4* with reasonable scaling. It took over two years to get them to this point, no way I'm getting rid of them to save a few minutes in PvE or earn extra covers in PvP I can't use because they'd destroy the hack. Top placement rewards are useless unless you... uh... use them. What's the endgame in that scenario? Hoard and max-cover or sell everything until... profit?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    keitterman wrote:
    In PvP you’ll never face a 450*3 team in your group. You may have to play against them, but you won’t need to get more points than them.

e598f076eeebcbef9109758e23a6064053df405db2cc7438f191b0a20dbbb80b.jpg