Dear Everyone who refuses to roster/champ Sentry/Ragnarok/et

CT1888
CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Please keep doing this; I love all the loaner Sentries I'm seeing today, 20k less health to chew through, and those powers merely scratch.

Yours gratefully,
CT

Ps every 3* is worth Championing.

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do they have the full one rostered? I must admit after taking damage to all 3 characters on my climb and eating through packs I should have climbed with the loaner. I am seeing very few 145's.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Do they have the full one rostered? I must admit after taking damage to all 3 characters on my climb and eating through packs I should have climbed with the loaner. I am seeing very few 145's.

You know you don't have to use his powers in battle right? icon_e_wink.gif

For me it's a 2v3 and I'll use Sentry's powers out of desperation. Right now he's just an 18k meat shield.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:

You know you don't have to use his powers in battle right? icon_e_wink.gif

For me it's a 2v3 and I'll use Sentry's powers out of desperation. Right now he's just an 18k meat shield.

It's not me using them that's used packs it's the ai. One less toon to heal,on the climb. Anyway I just looked and 3/4s of the teams I met using a 145 have a better one rostered. But I'm at the early stage of the climb.
  • Kevmcg
    Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Sentry is better than given credit for. Cast green, cast strikes just before it goes off. Those that like Hawkeye speed shot are missing the same effect on steroids. For those that play Phoenix/OML, cast Phoenix Red and OML Black when world rupture shows 1 on CD tiles and watch 30k-50K damage on the other team.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    even if you don't use his powers he makes a great bullet sponge
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Yep, climbed with the loaner Sentry, thanks to the reasonably strong Sacrifice strike tile.

To add to the advice in the posts above, bring the C4rol along for insane World Rupture special-buffing.
    In my mostly 3*/4* enemies realm, the highest HP is about 22K. Drop a champ Sentry strike just before WR, and this can damage each enemy for up to 12K+ (depending on how many CD's stay on board).

Oh, and I like Ragnarok. Again, drop the sacrifice strike after gathering 12 red and some blue. Two Rags red shots spams enough blue to blow things up nicely, then Rags blue charges green tiles to acquire for WR. If no C4rol, bring along a helpful purple/black user (Blade/Mystique/Loki/etc) to round out active colors.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Great thing about Sentry...if he even has 1 health left....start the next fight! icon_e_biggrin.gif

I haven't used any health packs on him yet. Or fired any of his powers. Or had him tank anything for Cyclops or X23.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not everyone (i.e. free-to-play players) has the luxury of rostering every single character. They have to pick and choose who to roster based on their available slots. Many other characters seem more appealing than Sentry or Ragnarok, I'm sure.

That said, I haven't seen one loaner Sentry yet in my playings. Glad I have him champed.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    If you bring a strong shield tile generator with Sentry, and someone to heal him, he's actually pretty effective. That strike tile is vicious, especially when boosted, and it doesn't take a heck of a lot to shield you from his friendly fire.

But he still sucks.
  • keitterman
    keitterman Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    In almost every single PvP event, why not just spider-gwen ice/man the enemy team?

She's boosted this week, so her Cherry bomb really hurts. Six blue on ice man freezes one, her stun seems to always target the other two. I haven't had a problem just stun locking most teams.
    Additionally, you can use two blue/purple stockpiles to makes sure you get an early start, and if you're super worried about it, drop two prismatic stockpiles.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    I'd never actually looked until this. The very first one I looked at was running champed Cyclops/X23, had about 20 champed 4*s and every other 3* Champed (except Thanos), but no Sentry rostered.

I'm up against 4* champ teams/level 360-400 5* teams, so very well developed rosters where roster slots shouldn't be an issue. I'm just seeing so many more loaners than in any other event that it's really noticeable.
  • byc
    byc Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    I like Sentry and Rags.

I used Sentry in PvP usually first thing so he can deal his damage, and then I let him heal.

Personally I love Starfall because I do have a rostered Sentry.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    CT1888 wrote:

Is this really true? Rostering yes, but hamping? I have 28 champed 3*'s, 8 4*'s. Even the 3*'s I have at 120-130 are 100k to champ. My best 3* in a year of champs is 213 - not even 50 covers. It seems like too long term of an investment to delay more 4* (and with luck 5*) progress for the rest of the 3* champs.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 wrote:

Is this really true? Rostering yes, but hamping?
    Yes.
    Champ rewards.

Plus at 266 and boosted, some 3s start to pack a mean punch again.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 wrote:

Is this really true? Rostering yes, but hamping? I have 28 champed 3*'s, 8 4*'s. Even the 3*'s I have at 120-130 are 100k to champ. My best 3* in a year of champs is 213 - not even 50 covers. It seems like too long term of an investment to delay more 4* (and with luck 5*) progress for the rest of the 3* champs.
    In the long run, absolutely. The good threestar champion rewards all come towards the end - once you get to the second fourstar cover things get a lot better very fast. If I had to pick between making four threestars champions or just one fourstar, I'd go with the threestars unless it was a gamebreaking fourstar that I'd actually use a lot.
  • PFellah
    PFellah Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    I'm still not crazy about Sentry, but I had some amount of success letting Kamala build up temporary hit points and then using Sentry as a finisher, letting his power eat into temporary hit points instead of real ones. For the first part of the fight, he's a glorified meat shield, though.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    HaywireII wrote:
    Great thing about Sentry...if he even has 1 health left....start the next fight! icon_e_biggrin.gif

I haven't used any health packs on him yet. Or fired any of his powers. Or had him tank anything for Cyclops or X23.

Ditto to all this. My Champ Sentry sits in the corner while my Champ X-23 and Champ 4* Cyclops do the 900 pt climb, then shield.

Coming up with Sentry strategies for effectiveness is like using the flames of your burning house to cook food. You did something somewhat useful, but the situation still sucks.

On the plus side, Sentry does give out Moon Knight covers now, so it pays to champ him. Makes sense, they probably shared a therapy group.