how is the defensive team chosen in PvP?

Wonko33
Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I wasn't coming to the forum much when the changes were made so I did not catch the details

How are the defensive teams chosen now? I searched the forum but it's just pages and pages of people mentioning it without explanations.

Any explanation or a link to a thread where this is clearly explained would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    They never showed us the algorithm to what is allowed and not allowed. There were some that got a loose explanation from CS about what was allowed , but it was not completely clear. Personal experience, I can use a level 496 BW with a level 144 champ 2 star and loaner as my lowest defensive team. Anything above that will show up. I know of others with level 500 5star toons who can't use level 144 2 star (they have to use a level 300+ 3 star or 4 star). If you have a 5 star champed, I think you have to use a 5 star in your team unless you use all 4's (not sure if they have to be champed). Its a trial and error thing, so hope that helps you get started.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Thx-

I'm not trying to do like those guys who leave weak defensive teams or anything - I use a few different teams to climb and some are not so good on defense because the AI plays them like ****. So basically if I play a few teams that are similar in levels, the last one I play should be my defensive team?
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Thx-

I'm not trying to do like those guys who leave weak defensive teams or anything - I use a few different teams to climb and some are not so good on defense because the AI plays them like ****. So basically if I play a few teams that are similar in levels, the last one I play should be my defensive team?

Correct. Unless you're using a team with a huge difference in level, the last team you *won* a match with will be your defensive team.
  • boomshaka40
    boomshaka40 Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Thx-

If you are not running a 5* team, the team that shows up can fluctuate more widely. For example, a team with 2 champed and boosted 4s for a week can have the following combinations put out as a PVP defensive team:

Champed 4/champed 3/loaner
    Champed 3/Champed 2/featured

None aside from the loaner and featured need to be boosted. In other words, you need to be careful if you use Winfinite since that team can show up. Same if you use 3DP for whaling expeditions.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    xidragonxi wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Thx-

Correct. Unless you're using a team with a huge difference in level, the last team you *won* a match with will be your defensive team.

Do you have to win? I thought the last team you completed a match with would be the defensive team (not that you'd want to end on a loss, just trying to understand the mechanic).
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    Do you have to win?
    Yes.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu wrote:
    broll wrote:
    Do you have to win?
    Yes.

Baking cupcakes would have been so easy if you could lose!
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,402 Chairperson of the Boards
    xidragonxi wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Thx-

in any event.. Say you play PVP and then move to daily deadpool...

say you have

PVP Think kahn and iron man

you then play daily and use Black widow. thor and hawkeye

what is your team in PVP?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    xidragonxi wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Thx-

say you have

The defense team is event specific. You can (and probably will) have different defense teams in Starfall, Sharp Dressed and the SHIELD Simulator. Only the last team you used in that particular event matters. What you play in PvE has no effect on the PvP defense teams.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,402 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    xidragonxi wrote:
    Wonko33 wrote:
    Thx-

say you have

The defense team is event specific. You can (and probably will) have different defense teams in Starfall, Sharp Dressed and the SHIELD Simulator. Only the last team you used in that particular event matters. What you play in PvE has no effect on the PvP defense teams.

not sure if this is right cause i moved to the daily and used 3 weak 2 stars i got hit for 180 pts.... Played one game of PVP and put my people i use back on and never got hit again... i find it sort of funny that i was hit for the 10 mins i had the other team up but not hit once when i did the other group... ALSO when i went into PVP it showed widow thor and the pvp needed person so they may change
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

say you have

not sure if this is right cause i moved to the daily and used 3 weak 2 stars i got hit for 180 pts.... Played one game of PVP and put my people i use back on and never got hit again... i find it sort of funny that i was hit for the 10 mins i had the other team up but not hit once when i did the other group... ALSO when i went into PVP it showed widow thor and the pvp needed person so they may change
    Could be you passed one of those threshholds that made you visible to a larger number of players, then got knocked back below the line so fewer people saw you again. PvP is full of pitfalls like that.
    The character selection screen defaults to the last characters you used (as long as they are available in that particular game mode) regardless of where you used them, but that has nothing to do with what your defense team is.
    Considering how much out-of-game Communication there is, someone would probably have noticed if the defense teams changed willy-nilly. Remember the outrage when a bug prevented everyone from changing their defense team completely?
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is basic but relevant to the topic.

If I win with a champ and then swap powers, will retals see the team that beat them or the current roster version?
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Calnexin wrote:
    This is basic but relevant to the topic.

If I win with a champ and then swap powers, will retals see the team that beat them or the current roster version?

retals are always on the team you won the match with
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    slidecage wrote:

it was coincidence, for example you played until 700 points, and you were hit for 180, which put you back to 520, returned and won one more lets say for 75, and you are now 595. That means you reached your equilibrium, where you can float for certain amount of time without people hitting you as you are not interesting targets. Had you played one more match, you would go above equilibrium and would be hit again.