Money Wasted

Options
So I been playing for about 6 weeks now. Had a blast with Ironman(one star), storm (one star), and the Hulk.
The events as of late have been difficult for me so I decided to drop some cash leveling up my 2 star heros.
I spent 135.00 total over the last 6 weeks. I spent 50 bucks just tonight. I'm presently using Hulk, Storm (2star), and captain America or Thor.

It's not getting any easier, actually it seems harder because it is taking storm (2star) 2 long to build ap. I'm getting frustrated with this game and probably would have quit by now if not for the money and time invested. It seems to be a huge money sink and feels like no
Matter how much I spend it gets no easier.

Comments

• Check out Polarity's Comprehensive Guide on Going From 1* to 3* in the Tips and Tricks forum. There's a lot of stuff that it's helpful to know, and Polarity's approach is detailed, comprehensive, and well-organized.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    It's not supposed to get instantly easy if you spend money, since that would be blatantly P2W. As the devs have stated, the monetized operations mostly help in dire circumstances (needing a particular cover, short of boosts/healthpacks, ISO to level an important character), the prices are deliberately too high and the transactions are not supposed to happen on a day to day basis for most players. Play Prologue to get ISO and HP for roster slots, level mStorm instead (better AP generator than cStorm at this stage).
  • Arogntbastrd
    Arogntbastrd Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spending a little bit of money at the beginning definitely helps but you may be trying to jump in too deep too soon. Ironman black widow and modern storm make an awesome 1 star team, they all get replaced eventually but a lvl 50 1 star is better than a lvl 50 2*. Likewise a lvl 85 2* is better than a lvl 85 3* and so on. The next tier doesn't outperform the tier below until it's a few lvls higher so you're better off with the "weaker" 1* characters until you have enough covers to make your 2*s worthwhile

If you want to skip 1 star you're going to need to buy enough covers to get 2* characters lvl max above 50 AND enough ISO to lvl them. This won't be cheap and isn't advisable bc you can get lots of good covers in the prologue (Thor and wolverine for example) and you'll eventually outgrow the 2stars also. I'd recommend, instead buy slots, focus on your storm and black widow and read polarity's guide viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939 It'll help you know who to build and what characters to pump ISO into/spend money on if that's the route you choose to take.
  • I play a little longer than you (about 60 days) and little more money than you (about 75 US I'm not sure).
    But I only spent on covers, never buy crystal.

The only way to level up fast is to play event (but not PvP).
    usually I' m in Rank 5~100. (at least one new hero and 10000 crystal )
    not because of my hero are high level, I just use power up hero to play and spent a little more time.

By the way, you need to find some combos to make you more stronger.
    ex: Hulk team up with Daken, so each time you line up green tile, Daken can make strike tile.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    ^ The OP spent 135 bucks, which is almost twice as much as 75 bucks.
  • Since the game tries to match you up fairly against equally strong opponents, spending more money doesn't offer a significant advantage, especially in PvP. In PvE, depending on how the scaling works for the current event and what special characters are required, there can be a very significant or almost nonexistent effect on spending money.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    locked wrote:
    ^ The OP spent 135 bucks, which is almost twice as much as 75 bucks.

He might be saying he thinks he's spent 75 more than OP. It's not particularly clear (English doesn't seem to be his first language.)

Either way, $135 doesn't get you as far as you might think it will. In my experience, purchases should he directed to very specific goals, particularly small little increases that will tip something over the edge for you.
  • I've spent $80 and while the first $30 seemed really useful, this latest influx of money doesn't have quite the same effect, but I think that's because I'm farther along in the game. So far I've spent the money on roster slots, a few shields, and a health pack or two and I still have a lot of HP left over. I'm hoping this will last me at least until June, if not longer.

I have been super tempted to buy a blue OBW cover, but I just feel that once I start buying covers it will be a slippery slope and I don't have tons of ISO in order to level them up, so it just doesn't seem worth it to go that route.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    ^ Oh yeah, I just thought they hadn't noticed the '1' in '135'.
    Still, in some countries 135 - 210 bucks is easily a nurse or a school teacher's salary (hint hint nudge nudge).
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Personally, the only thing I'd invest real money in (especially in the early stage) is roster slots, shields and potentially slots for your alliance...everything else can be achieved through playing the game and some patience. Especially teh ROI for ISO-8 seems very bad...better to just farm the events for cash.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The mechanism of the game has really changed since the early days.. at the time bonus ap were iso cheap and even with a weak roster 1* (im 35 juggernault mBW)i could compete with any one and rack up isos and hp.. i invested money inadvertly in daily and event token b/c i didin't know how to structure my roster.. now, it seemed to be a little harder to make progress quickly and i understand that some can feel frustrated..
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's more about time than money that leads to progression in this, if you put in the time you'll get vastly rewarded.
    I see this game as a complete time sink more than anything.

And I have to confess I've only spent a trickle of money on HP for roster slots when I first started the game and that's it... icon_redface.gif
  • The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This game isn't set up to readily allow you to accelerate/skip ahead a lot when it comes to moving up the * tiers. As others have calculated, it would cost hundreds of USD to lvl up that way. In this game, advancement comes from investing time--a lot of time. Money can help but it will take a time commitment regardless.

To put it another way, maybe it will help you to know that a lot of us have taken a lot longer to get to where you are, especially for those of us that are in the F2P camp.
  • Voxnyx wrote:
    It's not getting any easier, actually it seems harder because it is taking storm (2star) 2 long to build ap. I'm getting frustrated with this game and probably would have quit by now if not for the money and time invested. It seems to be a huge money sink and feels like no
    Matter how much I spend it gets no easier.

Great observation. Probably that lesson was worth the $135 you spent.
  • Really it is all about time and playing smart, not money. I have been playing around the same days as you (on day 47 of Shield Resupply) and I have 32 roster slots and a number of decent characters. I have spent zero $. The way I kept up with roster slots is by farming every last HP out of the prologue, always pushing up to the HP/token level in progression, and hitting the PVEs very hard. The PVEs also provided a mountain of ISO.
  • Unfortunately, a new player can't appreciate how glacial progress can be in this game until they are a month into it. When you first start out, there is so much new information and easy rewards flying at you, the progression feeling is very immediate.

You have to think of progress in terms of months and not weeks. That's very hard for some people to come to terms with. It's very easy to get burned out on the idea, spending money seems to exacerbate the feeling.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    edited April 2014
    Options
    As someone who's in the middle of 2* territory getting ready to break out towards 3*

My top list of things to spend hero points on if you are interested in augmenting your experience based on my own lessons are:

1. Roster slots.
    2. Money to expand an alliance so you can get invited to one thats going to score more prizes.
    3. A few shields to ensure you place high enough to get a new 3* character from pvp events. Getting the latest helps you score loads of prizes in the next event where the character will be powered up. This gives you an edge over the rest of the middle of the pack. If you miss out on a new character, you'll have a much harder time placing high as a newb thereafter.
    5. Key missing 2 star covers, only when you are desperate and are sitting on ISO to blow on them once they get that cover.
    6. YOLO a few 100/150 HP deals when you feel like "pulling the lever".
  • time invested is greater effect than money spent in MPQ/ dedicated players can easily ranked top10 in event.
    no need to spend money, unless u truly need to . do not gamble ur hp in cover packs
  • This is one of those games thats highly rewarding but also at the same time not super easy to cash your way ahead to victory. leveling up a 3 starred cover to max is 10 x 1250 or 12,500 hp. That's not cheap...then you have to worry about iso to get those levels up. best way to do it is to gain your resources through shield training, events, lightning rounds and tanking to keep your mmr low..be patient...and read up on the forums on the best use of your resources.

right now some good/great covers to max that are currently nerf-proof are patches, punisher and hulk for 3 stars (spidey and c.mags are bound to be changed), for 2 stars it would be wolv, o. black widow, c. storm and even m. mags (i really like him).

With a ton of new content being released...you can feel overwhelmed and many gamers want to be ontop, grind and become overpowered (final fantasy anyone?) but in a game that mixes single player and multiplayer aspects...don't focus on being the very best. Leave that for Ash ketchum. just be the best that you afford reasonably.
  • I haven't spent any money to boost my account and I have all the characters with most fully covered. That was a HUGE time commitment, though. I'm on day 152, so I've been playing for a while. My wife and son have spent over $100 combined, but they don't sink as much time into the game as I do. My son didn't have LazyThor for Simulator and he needed some more OBW covers and was close to top tier for that so I bought him the 3800hp pack with a guaranteed Thor. I took advantage of the recent sale to get the hps. Without the sale I might have opted to pass on purchasing hps. HPs would be the only thing I could bring myself to purchase in the game. ISO8 is way overpriced. $50 will barely get you 10 levels of a high level character and that's with a sale. You get more ISO8 by playing PvE events or spending a couple hours in a PvP. I would only spend HPs on guaranteed covers or roster slots and of course shields to hold a high PvP placement. That's my preference, though. Others with deeper pockets are free to spend all they want to keep this game going icon_e_wink.gif

So...in regards to the thread topic I do believe the random chance to get the featured hero in that 3800hp is a rip off. That change made me lose a lot of respect for the companies involved in making this game. I mean really? It's not like one cover of any hero is going to get you that far. At least give your customer some value with the store items you sell. 3800hp is a significant purchase to rely on randomness. I can understand it for the one off tokens, but not in a large pack that like.