Looking for More Strategy in MPQ?

Kevmcg
Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
The recent move to open up rosters in Heroic PVE got me thinking. For the record, I am against opening up the rosters for play, but understand that this is a test and needed from time to time.

The real question, that the developers should be asking and improving:

How can we make MPQ, more of a puzzle and strategy game?

My background - SCL 94, 40/44 champed 4 stars, 3/12 champed 5 stars

My play experience - I try to use my 4 stars even when I know that the scaling is for the 5 stars because I want to have some variety and fun with this game. I get tired of just collecting black and purple every time at the beginning of every match. Typically, get Top5 in PVE and Top5 in PVP.

With that out of the way, these are 4 suggestions that I think ALL players would find fun to incorporate:

1) Salary Cap Style - Let players use anyone in their roster, but have a max constraint. Number of stars, Number of levels, anything that forces players to use teams with synergy - not just their 2-3 best. Combined Arms is this style of play and most like that change of pace in PVP. I have suggested in the past that a PVP could be setup to require total levels to be 800 and under. I could use my 458 Phoenix and 231 Phoenix, but then I have to add my 111 Agent Venom to stay at 800 or under. Or, I could setup a team of 312 JG, 308 4Cyke, and 174 Dr. Strange. The strategy is left up to me to form several teams to best attack each PVE node.

2) Eliminator - another constraint idea. In this one, the whole roster is open, but you can only use each character a set number of times. In PVE, they are locked out for a day (for that PVE sub only). Maybe the limit is 3, after that you need to switch to a different team. For a normal PVE with 9-12 nodes, this means players would need to strategically think about having 3-4 different teams. Can't only play Phoenix / OML combo in every node. After 3 matches, they are both grayed out if used together.

3) More Character Effects - Several posts on this lately with other effects. Right now, there is stun, airborne, invisible. Iceman should have FROZEN, all Spideys should have WEBBED, Prof X/JG should have MIND CONTROLLED, Thor should have SHOCKED, Mr F should have WRAPPED. Many of these are variations on stun, but I always felt it weird that one Bobby can freeze another, so having these distinctions could allow for varied play. Add more immunities or weaknesses to characters.

4) Team Buffs - We have Team IronMan and Cap, Heroes/Villains, Avengers, Inhumans, etc. but do very little with it. Have events where playing all 3 at same time from a team gives a play bonus - 10% extra damage, starting with 2AP extra in all colors, maybe it even doubles the ISO reward at the end. This could also be themed. Rocket & Groot PVE could give the bonus if only Guardians used.

I know there are many more ideas. Now that I am getting past the "collection stage" of the game, I'd like to have some ways to make the game more fun and strategic while using more of the roster I have collected over the last 2 years.

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kevmcg wrote:
    4) Team Buffs - We have Team IronMan and Cap, Heroes/Villains, Avengers, Inhumans, etc. but do very little with it. Have events where playing all 3 at same time from a team gives a play bonus - 10% extra damage, starting with 2AP extra in all colors, maybe it even doubles the ISO reward at the end. This could also be themed. Rocket & Groot PVE could give the bonus if only Guardians used.
    This. This. This.

X-Men = +10% to match damage (I always saw them as a strike team)
    FF = +1 all AP (all their gadgets & gizmos help them out)
    (She-Hulk, Ghost-Rider, Wolverine, Hulk, & Spider-Man should be a part of FF!)
    Avengers = Team-Ups cost 2 less AP (everyone has been an Avenger)
    Team Cap = Protect tiles are 10% stronger (Cap protects his buddies)
    Team Iron Man = +3 red AP (Red is Iron Man's color!)
    Spider-verse = Web tiles also act as 40 point strike tiles (webby webby, sticky sticky)
    Villains = Crits are 10% stronger (they hit you where it hurts)