Returning after almost two years

themoneymaker
themoneymaker Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello all, I know many of you may not care about this post but after two years of absence or close to, (I left at the release of squirrel girl), I have reinstalled the game and begun playing. I used to be semi active here and ran a best builds topic for a while. I am making this post to express how great it is to see the game has survived and diversified through the years and it is a breath of fresh air for my formerly top tier team to be transformed into a bottom feeder. Additionally, the community should be praised for their continued commitment and loyalty to this game as my alliance though not very high ranking, has strong members that never left throughout my departure. Seeing new features in a game you had worn out such as champions and command points is also exciting. Additionally, the former grind from the two star to 3 star transition has been revived with the addition of a massive amount of four stars which I can't wait to start recruiting and levelling. Like I started this post off with, I know most of you won't care but with the plethora of leaving posts that were around in my time persisting in the new era of the game I thought this would be a nice change of pace. Anyone got any tips for a returning vet? (besides selling sentry) icon_e_biggrin.gif

TLDR; I came back after two years and the game is fun and exciting again

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Welcome back!

The game has changed a LOT since you've left and the vast majority of those changes were for the best. If you choose to stick around a while you may find that the end game of 5*s is an exercise in frustration and slow progression but there's hope for further changes in the future so please don't let that discourage you.

As for tips?

Happy to help! Keep in mind the suggestions I'm providing here are for LONG term success. If you just plan to stick around for a few weeks or play fairly casually than by no means feel pressured to do this.

1) Don't spend CP or Legendary Tokens. Period.
    Optimal play and building for 5* tier is all about hoarding right now. Your goal is basically to save 1000's of CP and hundreds of tokens (ideally for 300+ pulls but the more the better) and then blow them all on a good pack of Latest Legends. In doing this, you should (luck depending) be able to champion three 5*'s which will instantly elevate you to the endgame.

So what do you do while waiting for that long term goal?

2) Champion EVERYTHING
    Champion your 2*'s, 3*'s and 4*'s. They all provide excellent rewards that speed up your progression and flow of rewards in the long term. Try to focus on characters that will provide immediate value at first but once you have a somewhat healthy roster than just champion whichever character the game is giving you the most covers for.

3) Cycle your 2* champions
    What does that mean? Once your 2* champion has reached maximum champion level 144 they can no longer gain champion benefits. We can't have that! Optimal long term play would have either build a 2nd version of every 2* OR simply sell off the existing 2* and rebuild them again. This may sound nuts but in the end you basically net lose around 8000 ISO but gain a ton of champion reward benefits that easily make up for it. Be sure you champion the 3*s whose covers you get from these 2's so those rewards do not go to waste.

4) Use the forums/your alliance to help out with who to level.
    When building your initial army you'll want to take advantage of your resources to get a feel for who'll help out the most. The current meta is actually pretty healthy thanks to D3's commitment to balance characters and a weekly buffing system that ensures different characters get the spotlight. It basically means that having a diverse roster will help you in PvP and PvE. And so building up a good foundation of 10 to 15 3's and 4's should take priority so you don't find yourself in too many events where you have no good boosted characters to use.

5) Play for progression.
    One of the better changes in the last two years has been the improved progression rewards. This is especially true in pve. Don't feel like you need to grind out for top 5 every event unless that's your thing. You can clear each node 4 times and easily get all progression rewards plus a bunch of bonus covers for what will likely be top 200-300 finish. Doing this will cut down on the grind and potential burnout while maximizing rewards.

The same is true for PvP but you'll hit a natural wall here based on your roster so things are more outside of your control. Don't be discouraged if PvP success doesn't come quickly, do what you can and milk the PvP, deadpool daily, and lightning round rewards while you can.

6) Lightning Rounds are you ISO goldmine.
    You may remember this from before but in case you don't...join LR's literally within 15 seconds of them opening up. Doing so should ensure a bunch of seed teams for easy ISO and progression ISO. Do this as many times as your schedule allows each week and it will make a substantial difference in your ISO flow.

That's all I've got for you. It should keep you busy for at least a year...by then you might be ready to jump into 5* tier play as well icon_e_smile.gif
  • These are good tips. Thanks Babinro. Any tips for newer players going from 2* to 3*? Also, i clear each node until it starts to give Lee's points, but i still can't manage to get to 45000 points. Does not being able to access one required hero node make that difference?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    sigma349 wrote:
    These are good tips. Thanks Babinro. Any tips for newer players going from 2* to 3*? Also, i clear each node until it starts to give Lee's points, but i still can't manage to get to 45000 points. Does not being able to access one required hero node make that difference?
    You should get the final progression reward by playing each node four times (until the timer starts). If you don't have one of the essential characters, you need to play the other nodes a bit more.
  • I can't resist using CP on LT but I always use it on Latest Legends and have 9 covers for Black Widow so not too shabby. 2 star farming has been great for me. Hero points are way easier to come by as a result so rostering for a new slot is not such a slog as it used to be.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have an alt account I tinker with periodically. It's really a great game for casual players. A N00b is currently in late 3* transition with most 3*s max covered and about half champed, mostly just from playing ddq and occasional pvp. When it wants to it can get to 575 for the cp easily, 700s if I have time and care enough to throw up a shield - which is good enough for casual t100/t250 alliances.

Pve is alao much improved, giving cp and a set 4* cover, and if you green-check the sub, you get xp(iso) and a comfortable spot in a t100 pve alliance for extra hp and covers.

Build up your champ farms. They snowball into better rewards over.time, and really help in featured events and buff weeks.

A N00b's 4*s are a sad mess since I absolutely have no time to play pve and being A N00b with no idea about optimizing 4-5* development, it just opens cp/lts as they are earned and throws out anything it doesn't like. However there's a clear path to forward in pve for anyone who wants, via the progression cover, node cp and progression cp, plus the pvp cp will build up a stash quickly enough if desired.
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    I will disagree on that point. For 3* player it would be better to spend CP on classicsx for 4* and build good roster of 4* characters. After 3-4 top tier championed 4* yeah it is better to save CP but until you get good 4* roster i don't think it is good idea to save CP.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lukoil wrote:
    I will disagree on that point. For 3* player it would be better to spend CP on classicsx for 4* and build good roster of 4* characters. After 3-4 top tier championed 4* yeah it is better to save CP but until you get good 4* roster i don't think it is good idea to save CP.

I second this. To try and do a 300+ pull would only be good to skip the 4* tier all together. From everything I hear the game sucks once you're stuck in 5* land, so why would he want to do that? He's in a good place with CP where he probably doesn't have anything so there's no danger in pulling unusables. I would pull as you get so you can start rostering 4*s for essentials. I would stop pulling as you get once you get to a point where you have rostered all the 4*s and/or you have 5% or more covers at 5.

EDIT: Obviously don't pull LTs unless you have the roster slots and or HP to roster the 4*s you get. That might be challenging for a while.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Welcome back.
    Tip:-
    To be successful in the game you need lots of money and lots of spare time.

#nuffsaid
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hello all, I know many of you may not care about this post but after two years of absence or close to, (I left at the release of squirrel girl), I have reinstalled the game and begun playing.

Welcome back. Out of curiosity.. was Squirrel Girl the reason you quit 2-years ago? icon_lol.gif
  • themoneymaker
    babinro wrote:
    Welcome back!

The game has changed a LOT since you've left and the vast majority of those changes were for the best. If you choose to stick around a while you may find that the end game of 5*s is an exercise in frustration and slow progression but there's hope for further changes in the future so please don't let that discourage you.

As for tips?

Happy to help!

Thank you so much for all your tips they were helpful and gave me direction. Thanks for taking the time to respond none.pngicon_e_biggrin.gif
  • themoneymaker

Welcome back. Out of curiosity.. was Squirrel Girl the reason you quit 2-years ago? icon_lol.gif

Haha no I quit because I was the game was a grind, especially in the alliance I was in was always aiming for a top spot, I'm now ready for that grind again icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:
    Optimal play and building for 5* tier is all about hoarding right now. Your goal is basically to save 1000's of CP and hundreds of tokens (ideally for 300+ pulls but the more the better) and then blow them all on a good pack of Latest Legends. In doing this, you should (luck depending) be able to champion three 5*'s which will instantly elevate you to the endgame.

Terrible tip for a returning player imo. Why would he want to skip the 4* transition when it's *finally* accessible beyond hitting top spots in each event?

Other than that though, sound advice.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember you! (I think...) I came back last year after stopping for a year. I must've stopped around the same time as you!
    Came back with nothing but a full covered IW and XFW and an undercovered Nick Fury - and obviously most 3*'s. I think I had to catch up on Iron First, Luke Cage, Mystique and Squirrel Girl.
    I pretty much opened a load of my token reserves that day to catch up on covers and blew my ISO stash on trying to champ as many people as possible.
    As stated above I think it would be a good idea personally for you to use the CP when you have it to buy classic tokens to try catch up on the 4* game ASAP.
    The main thing you shouldn't be doing is putting levels into your 5*'s so you don't wreck your PvP scaling after just coming back.

PvE is under a new format now too. Most optimal way to grind it is 4 clears at the start to get the timers going, then 3 times at the end of the sub et voila.
  • themoneymaker
    Twysta wrote:
    I remember you! (I think...) I came back last year after stopping for a year. I must've stopped around the same time as you!
    Came back with nothing but a full covered IW and XFW and an undercovered Nick Fury - and obviously most 3*'s. I think I had to catch up on Iron First, Luke Cage, Mystique and Squirrel Girl.
    I pretty much opened a load of my token reserves that day to catch up on covers and blew my ISO stash on trying to champ as many people as possible.
    As stated above I think it would be a good idea personally for you to use the CP when you have it to buy classic tokens to try catch up on the 4* game ASAP.
    The main thing you shouldn't be doing is putting levels into your 5*'s so you don't wreck your PvP scaling after just coming back.

PvE is under a new format now too. Most optimal way to grind it is 4 clears at the start to get the timers going, then 3 times at the end of the sub et voila.

Hey twysta I think I remember you too as a dank meme supplier, I might be wrong tho icon_lol.gif cheers for the tips, it sounds like majority advise I should open tokens when I have the hp for slots so that's what I'll do icon_e_smile.gif
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    No you're right.
    That's me.
    latest?cb=20110809182235
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

Haha no I quit because I was the game was a grind, especially in the alliance I was in was always aiming for a top spot, I'm now ready for that grind again icon_e_biggrin.gif

Favourite Character: Punisher

I just noticed I'm your favorite character lol. Awesome
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    A super important piece of advice:

Don't get frustrated if you make plans to do something, but it doesn't end up happening.

This includes:

* Hoping to hit 1200 on single-fight shield hops
    * Hoping that an LT pull won't immediately be converted to 1000 or 2000 ISO
    * Hoping that you can get any sort of decent placement in any event

Just do your best and have fun. If you don't hope for anything unreasonable, then you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised when something good does happen.