Crazy Theory on Multiple Variant Characters

TheWerebison
TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
What if the reason we get so many variants instead of legitimate new characters is because...

*drum roll*

...it's hard to come up with a new symbol to represent them?!

Seriously, I've seen the forum where people come up with ideas for new characters and what abilities they'd have! Many of them are usable right out of the gate, and the rest could just use a bit of tweaking! There's so many good ideas out there just waiting to be implemented!

...but nobody really suggests what symbol to use.

Let's say they add Jessica Jones finally. What symbol would you suggest for her? There's nothing physical I can think of that really symbolizes her. Just use "JJ"? That seems silly. Maybe a jewel symbol, since that was one of her aliases? Perhaps a magnifying glass, or some other sort of recognizable private eye symbol?

How about Electro? Man, I'd love some more Spidey villains. Well, there's already a lightning bolt symbol, so that's out. Maybe a lightning bolt with bigger zigs and sharper zags? Twin lightning bolts? A screenshot of Jamie Foxx?! WHAT?!

I'm sorta serious about this, but bear in mind, I'm also the first one to point out this theory is crazy. icon_razz.gif

Comments

• hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Or maybe, just maybe, Marvel is the one that controls most of the new character choices, and they're specifically timed with either comic book, TV or movie releases, and they're the ones that decide to do variants instead of brand new characters. It's a crazy idea, I know.
  • TheWerebison
    Or maybe, just maybe, Marvel is the one that controls most of the new character choices, and they're specifically timed with either comic book, TV or movie releases, and they're the ones that decide to do variants instead of brand new characters. It's a crazy idea, I know.

Pfft, that's just silly. icon_razz.gif

C'mon, surely that's part of the reason, but it can't be all. If that were true, wouldn't the Marvel games all release pretty much the same characters at the same time?

Marvel's Avengers Academy just got America Chavez, Singularity, female Loki, Angela, female Thor, and, yes, Captain Marvel.
    Contest of Champions got Howard the Duck and Hyperion over Christmas, and just now has Gwenpool and Cable (apparently the X-Men thing isn't hurting their roster)

I dunno, there's definitely some cross-promotion, to be sure. But we could still be seeing a lot more characters.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor

Pfft, that's just silly. icon_razz.gif

C'mon, surely that's part of the reason, but it can't be all. If that were true, wouldn't the Marvel games all release pretty much the same characters at the same time?

Marvel's Avengers Academy just got America Chavez, Singularity, female Loki, Angela, female Thor, and, yes, Captain Marvel.
    Contest of Champions got Howard the Duck and Hyperion over Christmas, and just now has Gwenpool and Cable (apparently the X-Men thing isn't hurting their roster)

I dunno, there's definitely some cross-promotion, to be sure. But we could still be seeing a lot more characters.

We already have 4Thor, America Chavez was in that poll from last year (from which we've already gotten one character and it looks like we may be getting another), and I wouldn't be that surprised at the appearance of either femLoki or Angela sometime within the next few months. We also already have Howard and Gwenpool. And every couple months they do have instances across all the games where they do add related characters (Peggy was part of a 75th anniversary of Cap celebration across all the games, for example, and every game released characters from Civil War when the movie came out). From what I can tell, there are instances where d3/Demi does have a greater say in the characters they choose, and can go a little more off the beaten path, but most of the time you can directly line up a character release with something that Marvel is trying to promote (simple example, new Carol aligns with the end of Civil War 2 and the launch of Mighty Captain Marvel). And sometimes, they are promoting more than one thing at a time, so different games can go in different directions.
  • TheWerebison
    Yeah, I know we have some of those, I just meant that they weren't released at the same time...

Ah, well. Never mind. Just trying to think outside the box. And I already said my theory was crazy. icon_razz.gif

...would still really like some new faces, as much as I love the new C4rol.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still annoyed that Punishers symbol on tiles is freaking bullets.. no skull?! One of the most iconic comic logos is not even used! ****
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Game had variants 2.5 years ago when we had over 50℅ less characters.
  • I'm still annoyed that Punishers symbol on tiles is freaking bullets.. no skull?! One of the most iconic comic logos is not even used! ****
    That's because a skull is already used for countdown tiles and would get confusing :[
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people -- under the supervision of the reverse vampires -- are forcing the devs to include multiple variants in a fiendish plot to keep Dazzler out of the game... We're through the looking glass, here, people.

buBjj6u.png
  • TheWerebison
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people -- under the supervision of the reverse vampires -- are forcing the devs to include multiple variants in a fiendish plot to keep Dazzler out of the game... We're through the looking glass, here, people.

buBjj6u.png

This seems the most likely.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    over 50℅ less
    The weirdest thing in this thread.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    If it isn't a licensing thing in one way or another I'll eat a hat. They don't have to call the head office to put them through to Mickey for permission to make variants.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Koffitok wrote:
    I'm still annoyed that Punishers symbol on tiles is freaking bullets.. no skull?! One of the most iconic comic logos is not even used! ****
    That's because a skull is already used for countdown tiles and would get confusing :[

Exactly why CDs should just be a giant number. It would be easier to see too. Give Punisher his skull!