Programming 101 vs RNG

tgibbs40
tgibbs40 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi everyone! I have been reading the forums for awhile now (much longer than I've actually commented on them) and a topic I see consistently is the "randomness" of draws. The reason this interests me is twofold. 1) I am a computer programmer. 2) I feel RNG isn't as "random" as the narrative I see some people suggest it is. So lets take a minute and do a little exercise in computer programming to explain what I think is going on.

Disclaimer: This is simply my theory and in no way is meant to suggest this is in any way factual. I do not have access to any code to make a statement that my theory is fact.

So the first thing we need to do is set up our "RNG" with variables.

function RNG() as integer
dim SCL as integer
dim CP as integer
dim RosterSlots as integer

if (SCL <= 40) && (CP <= 100) && (RosterSlots <= 50) then

RNG = 0

else

RNG = 1

end if
End Function

What we did there is create a function called RNG that is a small function that works with other functions. Integers are numbers. The integers we used are SCL, CP, and RosterSlots. Hopefully what they stand for is self explanatory. Our condition is set up on what I would call a low CL, decent amount of CP or less, and a small roster. We are using an If/Else statement in our function to set flags in our program. IF our function meets our criteria THEN it will set the flag at 0. ELSE it will set the flag at 1.

Elsewhere, in the application, there is a function based OnButtonClick of the Classic Legends (just an example). It will look at our flag and do something IF the flag is 0 or ELSE do something if the flag is 1. This function could be set up to increase/decrease odds of 4*, 5*, specific characters, specific colors... based on our flags.

Conditions can be nearly infinite. This was just a simple example. To achieve the % that the company claims for drops they probably have conditions set up to maximize their earning potential. Therefore, if you fall into a certain condition, you may not be seeing the certain covers you want until you can make it to a different condition. That's where a 0/30 for a 5* or a 15/30 for a 5* or whatever come into play. The criteria suggests that a player meeting X condition should pull 0/30 5* and they may actually be more likely to spend to achieve their goal. Their spending changes something in the SCL or they add new roster slots or whatever they do with the money they spend. Then they do another 30 pulls of tokens (not knowing their conditions changes) and they pull 15/30 5* or whatever.

Anyway, that example is the difference between "conditioned randomness" and true randomness. Hope you all enjoyed it!

Comments

• Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    This is absurd. Unless you have a shred of evidence to suggest anything remotely similar is happening you should really just delete your post. There is no discussion to be had here.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2017
    Apparently people get butthurt over hypotheticals...
  • tgibbs40
    What do I need a shred of evidence for? I'm not accusing anyone of doing anything wrong, just simply pointing out what I view the "RNG' as. For players that are currently feeling stuck in "RNG hell" as I've heard it called, it may be something to consider to change their odds. Add a roster slot, earn some XP, level a character...stop pulling and do something different if you feel your pulls are skewed towards "not totally random".

I didn't create the game. I don't care what the developers do/don't do to create revenue. Just pointing out something that interested me and letting people consider it and possibly use it to change their "luck".
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be cool to know which RNG generator algoritm does MPQ use, out of low and highly random implementations.

Also, wondering if RNG algorithm is the same cross-platform...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...I don't get what you are trying to say. COuld you give us the cliff notes version?
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    If anyone else was falsely lured to this post with the prospect to learn something, sorry.
    Instead I offer you the difference between pseudo-random and true random, explained by professionals.
    https://www.random.org/randomness/
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Math guys. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    ...I don't get what you are trying to say. COuld you give us the cliff notes version?

He's making hefty assertions and accusing the devs of fraud, that's all icon_lol.gif

And asserting he needs no evidence icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Despite the accumulated experience shared on the forum that says otherwise.

Poor guy's patternicity is off the charts and leading him to conspiracy-sniffing.

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:

He's making hefty assertions and accusing the devs of fraud, that's all icon_lol.gif

No he's not,

He's trying to explain that there is no such thing as a random number to a computer and there must be some calculation to achieve something that appears random. I agree with the post above though that this is a better discussion on that topic: https://www.random.org/randomness/
  • tgibbs40
    I'm just going to assume that those of you who are angry at this post believe that RNG has been coded to be 100% random? You could be right and you probably are! Thanks for your input! It's good to hear all points of view. I have nothing negative to say about your opinions icon_cool.gif

Some people, from what I have read, don't believe that though. They could be right too! Thanks to those people for their input! Its good to hear all points of view. I have nothing negative to say about their opinions icon_cool.gif
  • tgibbs40
    broll wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

No he's not,

He's trying to explain that there is no such thing as a random number to a computer and there must be some calculation to achieve something that appears random. I agree with the post above though that this is a better discussion on that topic: https://www.random.org/randomness/

Well, at least someone understood. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that he did because of the better version of code he added to the conversation icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    tgibbs40 wrote:
    Conditions can be nearly infinite. This was just a simple example. To achieve the % that the company claims for drops they probably have conditions set up to maximize their earning potential. Therefore, if you fall into a certain condition, you may not be seeing the certain covers you want until you can make it to a different condition. That's where a 0/30 for a 5* or a 15/30 for a 5* or whatever come into play. The criteria suggests that a player meeting X condition should pull 0/30 5* and they may actually be more likely to spend to achieve their goal. Their spending changes something in the SCL or they add new roster slots or whatever they do with the money they spend. Then they do another 30 pulls of tokens (not knowing their conditions changes) and they pull 15/30 5* or whatever.

While I don't disagree with the idea that they could be using some element of each player's account as part of the seed for their RNG, this is pretty much saying that you think they're deliberately making it so that certain conditions lead directly to certain pulls, which is something you should at least have a little bit of proof before you blurt out.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    tgibbs40 wrote:
    I'm just going to assume that those of you who are angry at this post believe that RNG has been coded to be 100% random? You could be right and you probably are! Thanks for your input! It's good to hear all points of view. I have nothing negative to say about your opinions icon_cool.gif

Some people, from what I have read, don't believe that though. They could be right too! Thanks to those people for their input! Its good to hear all points of view. I have nothing negative to say about their opinions icon_cool.gif

Yes, teach the controversy. Oy vey.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    supermath_4657.jpg
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is trolling at best. You have no evidence, and simply feel that you're being cheated, but dressed it up with a bunch of first year programming noise to make it seem factual.

Thread locked. Further trolling could result in forum warnings or bans.
This discussion has been closed.