Combined Arms was a Welcome Treat

Buret0
Buret0 Posts: 1,591
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
Did anyone else find that Combined Arms was the best PvP in a long time?

Forcing everyone to have a 2, 3, and 4 star character in play was a welcome break from the near constant ream of 5* champions fighting for the top spot.

Sure, running into that rare max champion 85K health RHulk wasn't as much fun, but that was only once or twice out of an entire PvP set.

It allowed some rare opportunities to throw in some 2*s in PvP without penalty (because everyone had to use them). It did so without limiting the user to a specific 3* or 4*, making teams a lot more variable.

Anyone else think we should see a few more of these types of PvP events in season?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was fun while OBW was broken as hell.
    I don't imagine I'd have *quite* as much fun otherwise.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was great that mmr opened up nice and wide offering names I've never before seen to 1200 and beyond.

Nefarious Foes is right back to the same 5-8 names cycling over and over
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why no, I don't know anyone who likes Combined Arms!

OBW being broken actually kinda made this event hell for me. In fact, I had a horrid time this run. I don't care! I'd rather have this experience than go back to the incredibly stale Versus standard we have.

MOAR COMBINED ARMS!!!
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    yup, loved it! enjoyed the variety i got to use and the different combinations other people came up with. yes obw being broken made it more entertaining but regular combined arms is still a nice breath of fresh air

would love to see it replace lightning rounds
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    It was great that mmr opened up nice and wide offering names I've never before seen to 1200 and beyond.

Nefarious Foes is right back to the same 5-8 names cycling over and over

Yeah, I can't tell whether I just enjoyed the event format or if the change in MMR was such a welcome relief. In either case, it's the first time PVP seemed worth playing in well over a season for me.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    It's a great event but I did notice that the closer I got to 900 points in my slice all I saw was Peggy and Red Hulk teams.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    El Satanno wrote:
    Why no, I don't know anyone who likes Combined Arms!

OBW being broken actually kinda made this event hell for me. In fact, I had a horrid time this run. I don't care! I'd rather have this experience than go back to the incredibly stale Versus standard we have.

MOAR COMBINED ARMS!!!
    Agree with this. Broken OBW was painful and a bit of an equalizer that I would have preferred not to have. Still, I started the event messing around with some fun team combos that I don't get to use very often, and quit once I hit 900. Then I had some free time at the end and actually climbed from 800 to 1200 for a T10 spot and CP without having to use any shields. So it was a nice change of pace compared to the current event where everyone is hopping like mad for Carol covers.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I liked it too-

Flexing my 2* Hawkeye muscles with Red Hulk
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    Did anyone else find that Combined Arms was the best PvP in a long time?

Forcing everyone to have a 2, 3, and 4 star character in play was a welcome break from the near constant ream of 5* champions fighting for the top spot.

Sure, running into that rare max champion 85K health RHulk wasn't as much fun, but that was only once or twice out of an entire PvP set.

It allowed some rare opportunities to throw in some 2*s in PvP without penalty (because everyone had to use them). It did so without limiting the user to a specific 3* or 4*, making teams a lot more variable.

Anyone else think we should see a few more of these types of PvP events in season?

To be honest, it was just OBW, 3 and 4

if you had them, OBW, ~damaging or supporting 3 star here~, Peggy, so you could beat any team on offense with patience.

It was fun, but not simply for existing, we've done it before, and its not very different than usual just less health sponge.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:
    It's a great event but I did notice that the closer I got to 900 points in my slice all I saw was Peggy and Red Hulk teams.

Red hulk was for health sponge

peggy was to beat the other OBW, while stealing all her ap.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Yeah obw was annoying. Didn't realize until I was at 400 pts that there was a huge advantage with obw. Was using switch anyway so the other team didn't get much purple. Whenever red hulk is boosted, I am almost guaranteed 900 pts with little effort. It was a fun event. Any event with rulk is fun for me though. So not sure if it was because of combined arms or if it was because rulk was boosted again.
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Was a great event and agree completely on the required mix of rarities makes for fun team mashups.
    I think the 4*'s should NOT be boosted at all in this event (and yes I have playable 4's).
    Using OBW helped climb the first few hundred, but then eventually felt like a cheesy tactic. Same with 2Mags after a while.

4Clops, Blad3, and Bullseye were an excellent team to push through the last few hundred points.
    This was a rare event where I was able to score 900+ since my alliance has a PvE focus I don't usually get that far.

Vote for more of this style (and even 'Friends Forever' if it's balanced correctly) to keep PvP interesting and worth the effort.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I really enjoyed combined Arms as I could finally mix it with the big boys.
    Admittedly broken OBW helped a lot and I finished 7th overall. Breaking the 1200 barrier for the first time ever.

I would have finished 4th or ,5th but I got greedy and went for two wins instead of one.

After winning two matches and shielding.
    I got attacked probably 8 times in 4 minutes. 2 affected my scores before the shield stopped the others.

How dare I go for two wins in a Shield hop !!
    More combined Arms I say.